Skip navigation

mk1 20vt, slow but getting there

Back to the top

mk1 20vt, slow but getting there

here it it bought last jan, project not goin as quick as i hoped but getting there slowly………

Mk1 2l TSR G60.  .getting. There twice as fast

Mk1 lhd diesel…….getting. There for half the cost

Back to the top
Jim im proud of you bert  8)
Bert

Thats not a rod knockin,its a diesel stupid! floppy top and 1 tin top

Back to the top
:) learning as i go, reached a bit of a stop at mo, need a few more bits  save a bit , buy a bit….

Back to the top
looking good what ems you going to be running the standard oem?

loving the shiny bits :wink:

Back to the top
i have an emerald ecu and qpeng wiring loom. benscab  i know you have good results with megasquirt, do you have any experiance with this set up. i'm afraid that part may  be more than i can do  and will be asking for some help.

Back to the top
Looking good there Jim,the car looks nice and solid,is the shell in good order? :)

keep on keeping on

Back to the top
yep shell is solid, front panel has been chopped a bit, car used to run a g60 with nos , but all is good

Back to the top

mk1jim said

yep shell is solid, front panel has been chopped a bit, car used to run a g60 with nos , but all is good
Nice one mate.What engine code lump is it by the way?I want to do one of these later in the year once i`v moved but not sure which donor engine would be the best? :)

keep on keeping on

Back to the top
engine code is BAM with ko4 turbo

Back to the top
BAM is 165kw or 225ps standard,not bad for a 1.8  :twisted:
Bert

Thats not a rod knockin,its a diesel stupid! floppy top and 1 tin top

Back to the top
thats the big boy one lol!! that from an S3?

Back to the top
:) supposed to have uprated internals aswell,  can't wait to get it up and running.

Back to the top

mk1jim said

i have an emerald ecu and qpeng wiring loom. benscab  i know you have good results with megasquirt, do you have any experiance with this set up. i'm afraid that part may  be more than i can do  and will be asking for some help.

i think i have a mk1 20vt emerald map here :lol:

which inturn would have all the setting you need whats with the qpeng loom?? emerald should come with a blank loom which you solder your plugs to :dontknow:

Back to the top
not sure about the loom then??, did you know  derbyshire is a lovely place to visit, at this time of year, ben  :wink:  :wink:

Back to the top
yeah jamie said the same thing i ended up driving for 6 hours  :lol:

least derby is only 3 hours down the road :lol:

well with the loom id use the standard 20vt harness and strip it leaving just the bits you need then pigtail it onto an emerald loom

not overly clued up on emerald tbh sell the ecu buy a megasquirt and ill come up and get it running in a day :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Back to the top
that's probably what's been done to the loom, how much would it cost with megasquirt and you to get it running right.?

Back to the top
less than buying a new emerald ecu  :lol:  :lol:

i have base maps for megasquirt the only thing you wouldnt be able to do is run cop (coil on plug)

i was having this converation earlier with jamie its cheaper and easier to fit megasquirt due to the fact if you want emerald mapping how much is it going to cost? ?300 minimum id guess

where as megasquirt is pretty easy to map on a user basis if you read the papers ans you would learn alot more about how it works :wink:

Back to the top
i already have the emerald ecu, but am really tempted with the megasquirt, anybody any idea of the pro's and cons for each ecu?

Back to the top
dont get me wrong emerald is one of the best out there and tbh if id had the money thats the route i would have gone if mapped correctly can be awesome but its the cost of mapping

megasquirt is cheap and cheerful and can be mapped by yourself oncw you understand what is what

so far i think theres about 8 people using megasquirt on 20vs 3 on this forum alone

nick82 is up and running
jamiegolf is up and running
ive been up and running for 2 years with no problems

theres loads of people using emerald out there you may find someone that can map it for beer tokens ask around on the forums the guy that builds the megasquirt may be able to map emerald :wink:

Back to the top
yep will ask around

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.