Skip navigation

A social underclass...

Back to the top

A social underclass...

personally i'd rather keep my hands clean.

Tis money in muck though, take for example, a friend of mine loves car boot sales and buys, sells and is a bit of a wheeler dealer.he found a vintage watch in a tin that he purchased for 2 pounds. he found out that the watch is a george graham watch from the 18c and is worth a small fortune, currently on ebay starting at 99p http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Antique-18th-Cent-George-Graham-Pocket-Watch-Movement_W0QQitemZ220220827511QQihZ012QQcategoryZ398QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

tis money in muck

Back to the top

wooders said

there is alot to be said for a regular wage with paid holidays. being self unemployed is a double edged sword. personally, i can't stand an office enviorment. i can't stand a joinery shop enviorment. people seem to get institutionalised. a higherachy seems to develope and alot of cattyness seems to occur. a man tends to be more of a man 'getting his hands dirty' though there are more than a few arseholes in the builing game mind.
 i like being outdoors, summer or winter. sometimes i get wet, sometimes i get tanned, sometimes i'm here, sometimes there, sometimes i'm surrounded by wallies, sometimes a cracking bunch of lads. it's not mundane at least. a good week can earn fortunes, a bad one is no wage at all. but i can call a spade a spade and a shovel a shovel. no grovelling or cowtailing for me.
 i certainly would not look down upon people getting there hands dirty mind. there are plenty of very good tradesmen, that have more skill, knowledge and outright intelligence than 99% of people who work in offices will ever have. a man makes a job, the job doesn't make the man.
 doing a degree and working towards something is indeed a good thing and something that is admirable for those who achieve goals that they set out with. there are many, who use higher education to avoid the world of working for a living though. not too much different to dole dossing.
good luck with your degree, started it or commencing in september?

got to agree with oyu wooders for once well said :wink:

Back to the top
Yeah you can't not agree with wooders, pretty much everything he said is easy to agree with and in most cases very true.

Although rain when it comes to the building trade is a massive no no isnt it!!

and without being disrespectful but my dad is absolutely useless at reading and writing etc he's really not intelligent at all. but he can make or build pretty much anything possible. My mum on the other hand, is a bright woman, she went to uni got a degree and is now a teacher.

It's just usually one or the other isn it, no offence to anyone on here and im not generalising but in most cases the lesser intelligent people tend to go into more hands on jobs, apprenterships etc.

My dad's said many a time to me "don't follow in my footsteps lad, go to university get an office job and keep your hands clean, your a bright lad don't let it go to waste."

I'm not a work dodger, I don't want anyone to get me wrong on here, since i was about 15 i've been graftin for my dad every chance i get, including every summer holidays! six week periods.

I just wanna see the world me, and see if I can make an impact on it.
I aspire to be the editor of the Daily Mirror at some point…

And no Wooders mate, starting Sept.

'83 1.5 Gx (picture coming soon)

Back to the top

bens_cab said

wooders said

there is alot to be said for a regular wage with paid holidays. being self unemployed is a double edged sword. personally, i can't stand an office enviorment. i can't stand a joinery shop enviorment. people seem to get institutionalised. a higherachy seems to develope and alot of cattyness seems to occur. a man tends to be more of a man 'getting his hands dirty' though there are more than a few arseholes in the builing game mind.
 i like being outdoors, summer or winter. sometimes i get wet, sometimes i get tanned, sometimes i'm here, sometimes there, sometimes i'm surrounded by wallies, sometimes a cracking bunch of lads. it's not mundane at least. a good week can earn fortunes, a bad one is no wage at all. but i can call a spade a spade and a shovel a shovel. no grovelling or cowtailing for me.
 i certainly would not look down upon people getting there hands dirty mind. there are plenty of very good tradesmen, that have more skill, knowledge and outright intelligence than 99% of people who work in offices will ever have. a man makes a job, the job doesn't make the man.
 doing a degree and working towards something is indeed a good thing and something that is admirable for those who achieve goals that they set out with. there are many, who use higher education to avoid the world of working for a living though. not too much different to dole dossing.
good luck with your degree, started it or commencing in september?

got to agree with oyu wooders for once well said :wink:

here here

I'm a company director but i hate the office I spend my working days on site in the muck and bullets side and would not change what i do for a warm office even on a cold wet winters day, I'm somewhere different every day no 2 jobs are the same and like some one on here said wheres there's Muck there's Brass, if it wasn't for crap ground for building on I would be out of work instead I've got 3 cars a nice home Holidays in the sun and food and wine on the table and guess what? I have NO Gcse's but I'm blessed with common sense and a brain that can solve practical problems out asap.

Did you know that Pete Waterman couldn't read or write till he was 35

Arron best of luck with what ever you want to do in life.

Dont ask what your club can do for you, but what can you do for your club?

Back to the top
fair enough Andy, fair enough mate. Well played to you!

If I get the job I want, ill spend lots of time outdoors, reporting on current events first hand, then writing them up and having them published in a national newspaper, can't wait to see my name at the top of one of those stories. And the only way i'll be able to see that is by going to university!

admittedly the wage for a journalist at a regional newspaper is absolutely rubbish!! but that doesn't bother me, i'll enjoy it. Im greatful of having that option, and not having to go into the building trade.

Back to the top
Only 5% of the working population are happy to be going to work tomorrow
if you fall in this 5% and stay there for all your working life you will have cracked it what ever it is you choose to do.

Back to the top
5%  8O

how they work that out?!

well I look forward to being in this minority!!  :)

Back to the top
well i went to uni found out that a degree counts for nothing even in office work people look for general experience in any field. so i thought cut my losses save myself a lot of debt and the possibility of not even having a job after i get the degree. a lot of people who go to uni are under false pretence they assume that as soon as you finish you will have a job waiting, this is not the case.

Im now doing mechanics and bodywork at Stafford college and couldn't be happier.

Back to the top
nice one alex.

In the 'olden' days a popular way to become a journalist was to work your way up from the very bottom, for example starting out as a 'copy boy'.

Today however not many places will even look at you unless you have a degree accredited to the NCTJ (National Council for the Training of Journalists ) or a degree in maybe English or Creative Writing, then a direct qualification from the NCTJ.

Besides;
whoever mentioned goin to uni for a degree  :lol:
Parrrty parrrty parrrrrty  :)

Back to the top

MK1_Arron said

Besides;
whoever mentioned goin to uni for a degree  :lol:
Parrrty parrrty parrrrrty  :)

That's taxpayers (ie our) money you're spending, there. By all means let your hair down - but come out the other end with a decent qualification too!!!

Back to the top
hahah i'd hope so paul! As I have to pay a ridiculous amount too!

Back to the top

MK1_Arron said

Although rain when it comes to the building trade is a massive no no isnt it!!

only if your made of sugar

Back to the top
don't get that, But I know cement doesnt dry in the rain  :lol:

Back to the top
suger dissolves in water

83 BBS MK1 GTI 69 T2 PANEL VAN i am back let the trouble begin :)

Back to the top

MK1_Arron said

don't get that, But I know cement doesnt dry in the rain  :lol:

I think you've just proved how much you know about the building industry there!

Back to the top
cement will go solid even in water it dries by chemical reaction not through contact by air and it never sets 100%

Back to the top
right ok then, you go and point a brick wall or a patio in the pouring rain, see how far you get.

Back to the top
the rain will wash out the surface cement and mark the brick work which even when still raining, its a pain to get off the bricks due to it setting on the wet brick.

Back to the top
put a bag of cement in a pond and come back in a week and pull it out
that bag will now be set rock hard but how???? cemical reaction not contact with air…

Back to the top
why would you assume that no building work occurs when it rains?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.