Skip navigation

project muppet

Back to the top

project muppet

cheers fella

im really liking the all white look so they will be staying like that for the mean time, my mate had a set of these on her polo loon and i fell in love with them straight away

Back to the top
swapped over the brakes and got a new brake line made up from the master cylinder to the drivers side wheel so i could bend it out of the path of the carbs without kinking it

239mm jobbies back on

angle grinded the flexi pipe and fitted the centre section, needs a larger sized tube placing over ideally and welding, will get the pat the mot'r to do that for me woot

finally got the inlet manifold after much fannying about with an angle grinder

pressure gauge (ive got a blanking screw for after ive set the pressure

carbs all fitted and plumbed in, just got to fit the pedal back on, connect the throttle cables and wire up the fuelling loom

and got a couple more coats done on the wheels too woopagio

off to stanford hall show tomorrow with my mate rob and picking up my yokos woo

Back to the top
well updates

managed to get the carbs spitting and stuttering but not firing up, fuel pressure guage was broken and i didnt have a balancer for hand but new FPG is  on the way and a friend is letting me try out his balancer that he picked up for setting up his twin 45s on a 2L 16v.

also will check timing is correct by whipping spark number one out, turning the head by hand and checking teh piston height with a screwdriver.

fuel pressure was at 2psi before the gauge broke so i dont want to mess about adjusting the fuel pressure without a working gauge to check and i dont want too much fuel pressure in the carbs. also got some fresh petrol today cos the car was left garaged for the last year so the petrol probably lost all its octane level

and went down to my local tyre fitters and got the yokos on the routays, got them balanced then stuck em on the car, bled the brakes while i changed the wheels for ease of convenience so i finally have a brake pedal that works woo!

some piccies cos the day was still warm (check out my 3.75 bhp grass cutting skillz)

so all that needs doing pre mot is getting the carbs up and running and once thats done i can set the gear linkage ensuring all gears are correctly selecting, refit backbox and get it down to pat the friendly mot man :D

Back to the top
looking good saf!

i think you should stick a single light badged grille on!

1983 Polo CL - daily

1984 Golf G60 Syncro - sold

1989 Rallye Golf - sold

1992 Corrado G60 - crushed

1989 Polo C - chopped and crushed

1991 309 Style - crushed

Back to the top
ps, it's all about the green mk1s bro  8)

especially with white wheels.

1983 Polo CL - daily

1989 Rallye Golf - sold

1991 309 Style - crushed

Back to the top
you speak the truth boyo ;)

ive got a single light grill but the end pieces are damaged. i might run the debadged for a while and then colour code the edges of a badged grille.

id really love an oem debadged mk1 grille, nearly bought a twin spot debadged for 15 quid but pulled out cos i really dont like the 4 light look.

im tempted to crack out the tinting spray on the lights, im a big chav at heart so want to do them black but like the look of all reds.

might do half and half like dunno

Back to the top
had to completely setup the timing from scratch as it was mega out, lined up all the pulleys, just need a timing gun to make sure its bob on and a balancer to sync the carbs

but she lives

happy days ps. sound quality is gash cos it was on me phone

http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b12/yousafn/?action=view&current=MOV00002-1.flv

Back to the top
that sounds mean :D

1983 Polo CL - daily

1989 Rallye Golf - sold

1991 309 Style - crushed

Back to the top
it did :(

Back to the top
Christ on a bike,WTF happenend?Saf absolutely gutted for you :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

Speeding is like masturbation, everyone does it ,but it's not something you should record and put on the internet!! 

Back to the top
OMG That's terrible. How did it happend?

James

1987 Golf Mk1 GTI 1.8 Cabrio

Back to the top
errr driving to the mot station for 10, was running late due to a flat battery but my housemates girlfriend sorted me out with her getz, jump start it, get 5 minutes down the road and the idle creeped up to 3k, pull over in the park rather than going onto the main road, open the bonnet and was greeted with some flaming heatwrap.

my guess is the carbs didnt burn off all the fuel, some leaked out and caught fire. luckily i managed to get out unscathed but the car is rather poorly to say the least :(

ahhh well win some lose some, and this was a massive fail.

edit: spare battery was in the passenger footwell, managed to grab the battery, my wallet and turn the fuael pump off before doing one sharpish

Back to the top

grungeisdead said

errr driving to the mot station for 10, was running late due to a flat battery but my housemates girlfriend sorted me out with her getz, jump start it, get 5 minutes down the road and the idle creeped up to 3k, pull over in the park rather than going onto the main road, open the bonnet and was greeted with some flaming heatwrap.

my guess is the carbs didnt burn off all the fuel, some leaked out and caught fire. luckily i managed to get out unscathed but the car is rather poorly to say the least :(

ahhh well win some lose some, and this was a massive fail.

edit: spare battery was in the passenger footwell, managed to grab the battery, my wallet and turn the fuael pump off before doing one sharpish

Saf,you sound incredibly cool about it? I would be gutted after all that work and cash? But at least you are ok and in one uncooked piece!!

Speeding is like masturbation, everyone does it ,but it's not something you should record and put on the internet!! 

Back to the top
Looks like Cat A writeoff to me - what have the insurance company said about it?

Back to the top
i am truely gutted chap but not much i can do to change things, im just glad im in one piece. one of my best mates was in a serious car accident earlier in the week and luckily survived with minor injuries so a car dying and a person living is a good thing.

when i decided to take pictures i was going to take a video but the thought of having to watch it back would have broken my heart

but its all good, even if the insurance doesnt pay out ill be in something else this summer ( and hopefully not my sisters clio for loong :( )

Back to the top
Still got that maroon/red beastie?  :D

Back to the top
yeh i have, i sold it to a chap and he was coming to collect it over the next few weeks but i rang him after the fire and he came straight over as hes local.

hes offered to give me the shell and he's just gonna take the lorbers instead, hes a proper sound fella, he just wanted the shell for a few panels but eye'd up the drivers rear quarter on the muppet so said get that cut out before it gets chopped.

that ones still mot'd till november and luckily my recaros were still in my bedroom so will probably get round to building that one up again over the summer.

the small light panel remained intact, bar one of the lights so that might be a go-er.

dunno if i could drive with carbs on an 8v again tho, the exhaust right under the carbs is rather dangerous, maybe a return back to the tank or foam engine bay safety system/fire extinguisher might be a good option.

the worst thing is last night i said to myself i  need to get a fire extinguisher on the way back from the mot station

Back to the top
saf mate, that's a chuffin' heartbreaker.

absolutely gutted for you, she was looking well sweet.

all the best with getting the other one back on the road.

1983 Polo CL - daily

1989 Rallye Golf - sold

1991 309 Style - crushed

Back to the top
HOLY POOP!!!! :(  :(  :(

That is seriously gash mate, but a damn good thing your still ok.

Not the end of the world lad, you'll find another :wink:

But im sorry to see that :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

Back to the top
thanks guys, and paul insurance company are arranging for the car to be collected from my drive and taken to a compound, claims assessor will be down in the week to have a look but its definatly beyond repair and will be cubed :(
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.