Skip navigation

2.0l 16v charged - track action vid 7/9/09

Back to the top

2.0l 16v charged - track action vid 7/9/09

sorry think i was drunk, any photos of engine bay

Back to the top

mickeyone said

sorry think i was drunk, any photos of engine bay

:lol:  no worries dude,  :D  I think theres a couple of pics at the start of the thread, ill have to do some more better ones now its got the strut brace on.

also the new wheels are on!!!! there will be pics tomorrow after the show  8)

Daily - 05 plate B6 A4 Avant S Line, with 19s for the summer.. wifes car - Rare Seat Exeo ST Sport 170 Tech
Weekend - MK2 20vt monster - Plus a mk1 caddy I am fixing for my bro

Back to the top
A few pics of mine from the show, look rather pimp  8)

Waiting to go in with my cuz and his mk2 (sporting some sexy wheels which you might remember  :wink: )

Me on the strip,

and a few from when everyone esle had gone home pretty much,

The bad bit of the day was the lack of traction on the strip,  :cry:  I just could not get the car to stop singing in 1st  :oops:

The tyre squeal is me  :lol:

Daily - 05 plate B6 A4 Avant S Line, with 19s for the summer.. wifes car - Rare Seat Exeo ST Sport 170 Tech

Back to the top
Love the look of your MK1 8)

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

Love the look of your MK1 8)

hehe cheers dude, I wasnt sure just how good the white compos would look but I love them!!!  8)  really finishes the car off nicely,

also to Mickey, there will be engine bay pics tomorrow, as its a big work day tomorrow for the mk1 again!  8O

and finally my 2 fave pics from the show,

this is now my wallpaper on my works comp and loving it!!! well worth the couple of quid I paid the guy for it, (he doesnt normally sell the digi images apart from to the mags, but does sell them as prints etc. but that was no good for me  :lol: )

also one of me on my final run of the day, looking a bit moody  :lol:

Back to the top
Last sat I was at Curborough Sprint track with Club GTi, I posted a not too shabby best time of 31.46 seconds, which was 10th fastest out of 28 people, the format was 1 flying lap then join the back of the que and go again, the idea being that there was then no issues with brake and tyre warming to keep things fair, also all cars had to be fully road legal, so no slicks either  :D

1 - Mk2 Golf GTI 16v turbo - 28.83
4 - Audi A3 1.8T - 29.20
28 - Mk1 Golf GTI 16v - 29.42
7 - Mk1 Golf GTI 16v - 29.50
2 - Mk5 Golf GTI - 30.18
15 - Mk2 Scirocco 8v - 30.63
8 - Mk1 Golf GTI 8v - 30.73
27 - Seat Arosa 1.4 - 31.12
19 - Mk2 Golf GTI - 31.18
6 - Mk1 Golf GTI 8v - 31.46

the top 2 where full on beasts!!! with the A3 pushing 460bhp + NOS!!! if I could have shaved off only 1 second I would have been 5th fastest….I should be a bit quicker next time though as I finally got to check my suspect front camber with a gauge and it was at 0! good for 1/4 mile traction, pants for cornering, so thats being sorted over the weekend as I have my own camber gauge coming now  :D

(yes that is fuel pissing out of the filler cap  :?  :shock:  :cry:  not amused! I know it dribbled a little when brimmed but didn't know it was that bad!!! explaines why I felt very ill though and could smell fuel  :roll: )

also check out the front wheel on the pic above  :mrgreen:  a bit of side wall rolling action!

(got the centre caps for the wheels at the weekend too  8) )

(vveeeryyyyy heavy braking!! I got the rears on the point of locking a number of times, and at one stage I managed to snatch all 4 brakes  :lol: )

On a side note I also got my full set of yelloow stuff trackday pads yesterday, put them in last night and went for a burn to snake pass to bed them in, (sadly i didnt get onto the snake pass as it started raining as I got into Buxton so it wasn't worth it  :cry: ) but the initial signs are good, not bad feel and stopping when cold but once warmed up they gave some very very good stops and resisted snatching the unloaded rears rather well!

Back to the top
that tyre deflection is scary.

Back to the top
any tyre does it, its just not normally seen… it also didnt help I was running at about 25psi, and the camber was set at 0 not -1.5deg.  :lol:

Back to the top
New fuel cap to stop it weeing its self…

Ive also made a start on getting ready to re-shim the tappets, this will mean the cam is quieter as it runs closer to the tappets so their less slap (later cars ie mk2s on have hydro heads, where the tappets fill with oil and touch the cam at all times as they "pump up"  the down side is they limit the revs of the engine to 6500rpm….Borris power band runs to 7000+ and he gets that high on track  :lol: so he will be sticking with the old skool head…also its lighter)

I have also had a ball ache of a day sorting the new bits for him!! about 6 weeks ago I got a polly mount kit and Ive been slowing changing bits over as they get replaced…so far I have done the front and rear engine mounts, and the rear anti roll bar  :oops: and thats it…but this weekend I plan to do the front wishbone mounts, front anti roll bar mounts and rear tower mounts, but the local suppliers dicked me around all day!!! lots of shouting and parts not arriving when they should!!! but finally they got it right….

So I now have 2 arms polly bushed up, with new ball joints ready to fit tomorrow  8)

I just need a dry day now to whip the front suspesnion off! I will also set the camber when I re-build it too  :D

also heres a sneeky peak at my plate surrounds that im still yet to finish modding, there are only 3 sets in the country as I brought them back from Austria my self… the guy in the local dealer thought I was odd mind, wanting 6 plate surrounds, but still said it was no prob  :lol: , the only thing I need to do is play with them so they hold a normal plate, as Austrian plates are taller,

also as requested a pic of the engine set up,

not the neatest, but it works and makes some handy power  :wink:

Back to the top
hi m8 was just wonderin what time u managed at santa pod? i only did a flat 17 but i did have a boot full of ice, love your car im hopin to make my gti into a track day monster, also was wonderin if you had any head work with that cam, im thinkin of dropin one in mine cheers

Back to the top
hi m8 was just wonderin what time u managed at santa pod? i only did a flat 17 but i did have a boot full of ice, love your car im hopin to make my gti into a track day monster, also was wonderin if you had any head work with that cam, im thinkin of dropin one in mine cheers

Back to the top

robbie100hp said

I did a 16.53 at the pod, which is poor tbh,I should be in the 15s i recon if I can get traction…

the heads stock at the mo, its the only bit really that Ive not played with, but that will be next winter as at the mo Im busy spending all the dosh sorting out the handling and saving more wieght  :wink:

the one thing I will say is that a cam can not just be dropped it, it will need to be shimed once fitted and run in, otherwise it will be noisy and wont give the full power it should.

today I have done:

new arms both sides, fully poly mounted,

front anti roll bar poly mounted, (2 bolts snapped :evil: but its back on, and new brackets ordered, prob is the Crazyquifs is close and wont be open till a week on tues :cry: but hey ho)

Rear top mounts binned and replaced with new poly mounts,

and the cam has been shimmed :mrgreen: my tools arrived this morning so this eve me and Dean set about having ago, and its eeaassyy!! I need to order 3 or 4 new shims, but I have managed to get them all sat within tolerance now as I had some spare shims to use, when the cams been properly shimmed up to the lower end of the tolerance I should get an extra bhp or 2, as I will get higher valve lift and longer duration lift too :twisted:

we also set the camber on Deans mk2, Horrace, so thats now sat right too :D

Back to the top
Today the tracking was set, after adding all the camber yesterday the tracking ended up at about 25deg +ve!!!! tracking reset to 0 and the handling is a vast improvement over before!

the old ball joints and mounts were as much use a choclate tea pot!!! all the rubbers were shot and squishy! Im looking forward to getting it back on track and seeing what it will really do!

also a bonus vid on me at Curborough sprint track, thanks to James for the vid.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v90/mini7racer/?action=view&current=Curborough_Karlos.flv

Back to the top
Today I finished the poly mounting!!!!!  :D  the rear beam has been done! this is the one I was least looking forward as it wasnt clean if it could be done with the beam still attached to the rear shocks and tne flexi hoses still in place, lucky there was just enough room, so 4 hours later the rear beam mounts had been taken off, the rubbers out, all cleaned up and rebuilt with new poly mounts.

after I had got cleaned up me and Deano went for a drive to Buxton and stopped off at an abandoned works for a few quick pics.

Just need to give him a good wash now! as hes ditched due to not being washed since before spring gti  :lol: and then Ill turn my eye back to more power again  :lol: as the handlings pretty much sorted now.

Back to the top
Motor sports style.  Looks great.

Back to the top
cheers dude.

also a minor update, the Durun tyres are off afer only 500 miles, they were too hard for my liking and things got worse the better the suspesnion set up got  :lol:  :cry:

im now rolling on some mid range tyres in the form of Yoko S drives, im just hoping im not let down as I used to love the A539s on my old mini! stuck like glue and lasted ages too!! Ill report back how they get on when the weather improves,

Back to the top

M7R said

Does the oil catch tank make much difference?

James

Click for Berkshire Mk1's>>> Facebook

Back to the top
not at the moment…. its a very basic can with no internal bafles, and the inlet and outlet are next to each other…. but I plan to insert a baffle plate plate and route it so the vapour has to travel through the can to get out and through some wire wool too in the hope that this will sepeate out the oil vapour. this should mean I have the same if not better peformance as a ?50+ can for ?20! bargin!

Back to the top
Jobs done tonight,

replacement oil pressure gauge fitted tonight, so I ahve all 3 working now - pics to come tomorrow  8)

Tappet shims arrived today finally! so the cam now runs a bit queter and should make more power too as I will be getting max valve lift..

The front antiroll bar has been re-attached, which should help the cornering a little.

and the orther wings have been fitted!!!  :mrgreen:  (I still need to seal the joins and coat the inner A pillar and then refit the arch liner… but thats no biggy.. the main thing is the arches are on and Im loving the 2 tone look  8)  :oops:  The bonnet will be white/ grey within a month or so too…

(Dont worry I have had an offer to rattle can the arches the correct colour as a short term fix before he goes off to the body shop in the winter  :D , prob is I have no doubt the job will be perfect, so the rest of the car will look pants  :oops: )

Also while working on Borris Deano came round to give us a hand and my grandparents turned up so we had 5 dubs parked up out side  :lol:

In a couple of months we might have 6 here for a day or so  :lol:

Back to the top
What's the 0-60 on this thing… can't wait to see this in the flesh  :wink:

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.