Skip navigation

2.0l 16v charged - track action vid 7/9/09

Back to the top

2.0l 16v charged - track action vid 7/9/09

Looks like your having great fun on the trackdays.  Much better witht he other wheels as well.

Back to the top
Karl, you ordered a calander yet, pic of you in it!!!!

Back to the top

Lawsy said

WWWHHHAAATTT!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8O  I havent been on here much in a while what with new job and new car and buying bits for the mk1!! Ill get me calender ordered tonight along with my membership (whicjh I promised about 3 months ago  :oops:  ssoorrryyy)

Daily - 05 plate B6 A4 Avant S Line, with 19s for the summer.. wifes car - Rare Seat Exeo ST Sport 170 Tech
Weekend - MK2 20vt monster - Plus a mk1 caddy I am fixing for my bro

Back to the top

M7R said

Lawsy said

WWWHHHAAATTT!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8O  I havent been on here much in a while what with new job and new car and buying bits for the mk1!! Ill get me calender ordered tonight along with my membership (whicjh I promised about 3 months ago  :oops:  ssoorrryyy)

no worries mate

some good deals for members at the mo, getting some more in new year too!!

Here;s the calander as a small jpeg,

You can order through the home page….

hows the new job?? Hopefuy catch you again next year at another track day.. Wendy still talks about her laps. loved it, so might have to get mine built for one next year!!

Back to the top
keeping true to my word I have paid my membership and also order 2 calenders!!! (one for me at work and 1 for Bex…btw do I get a free gift or have they all gone? :lol: )

Works been cool, Im now working for the govenment as a Type Approval Engineer for the Vehicle Certification Agency, so all the things you see on vehicles with "E11" or "e11" have been approved by us  :D  I get to see loads of cool stuff and I still do the odd crash test as well, but im now also doing other cool stuff like brake testing and head impact tests on dash boards etc to make sure they wont kill you in a crash  8)

Keep an eye on the forums, we will be doing some more trackdays next year (maybe even look at doing a mk1oc one?), you and your good lady are mmoorrreee than welcome to come along!  :D

Daily - 05 plate B6 A4 Avant S Line, with 19s for the summer.. wifes car - Rare Seat Exeo ST Sport 170 Tech

Back to the top
I have been shopping yet again!!!!!!  :lol:  I now have the rear discs….and i have splashed out on another set for the front even though the others had only done 1 track day  :lol: I have also spiced the discs up too… Today i got the rear discs on!!

and here the funky bit…..

The bells that always rust and look poo have been painted to match the calipers and carriers (but the rear calipers arent being painted as they are mk4 alloy ones…) yyeeaaahhhh its the new thing for 2009  8)  :lol:

The rear carriers arent on yet as I need new bolts from vw to fit them and also I still need the conversion hoses and banjo bolts for the brake lines, plus a small adjustment to the brake pipes too…but that will be done in the next few weeks. they look sweet behind the wheels though,

also I have done the fronts too…

and the carriers - which still need a few more coats of paint,

the car is getting there slowly… I still have LOADS to do though  :cry:

Back to the top
do those rear brakes have drums and discs like my old Alfa?

if so, how did you do it?

Back to the top

jools182 said

do those rear brakes have drums and discs like my old Alfa?

if so, how did you do it?

nah they are mk2 rear stub axels and discs, I have just painted the bells that always rust and also havet fitted the carrier and calipers yet either.

Back to the top
the rear calipers are now plumbed in, but the carriers arent dry yet so it cant be complted….

the new servo is on as well…well haf, I havent finished fitting the return spring but as soon as thats done the new MC can be bolted up and we are good to go…..well part from the clutch change I stil havent done.

Back to the top
Last weekend I picked up the new track wheels to save my black posh rones for the road, and tonight I trail fitted them on the front to make sure they clear the brakes..(the pics dont have the centre covers on..but when its on track they wont be fitted anyway for easy access to the wheel nuts)

Sorry for the poo pics, they were done on my phone in the freezing cold…

and look!!! caliper clearance!!! the novelty!!

now all I need to do is get the rear brakes finished and Ill get all 4 wheels on.

Back to the top
the last few weeks have been mmmmjjoorrrr busy!!!

the rear discs are done, I just need to look at the hand brake - its very high and the rear pads need bedding in because at the mo it still doesn't hold very well.

the brakes have all been bled too, and the initial pedal feel is promising, but I am yet to have a proper road test  :cry:

Then this friday I had a major session on the mk1 again!

started at 10ish.. by mid day the box was off and sat on the floor in the garage, the sad sight was that it appears that the gear box seals had been weeping and allowing gear box fluid on to the clutch plate, which accounted for some of the clutch slipping,:(

so it was then a mad dash to derby to tps to get a new main shaft seal and then to GSF to get the push rod seal.

- heres the seals in question,

the it was as case of a new end plate on the box as the last one was a rush fix at the last track day, and refill with new gear box oil, after that it was rebuild time,

I replaced the front and rear engine mounts too, as they were a bit past it…. :oops:

also with no box on theres lllooooooooooooads of room!!!

The final job was to get the lower brace on while the car was in the air,

8)  I now just need to get the car empty and charge the battery and then its test time, the first signs are good though, the clutch is now alot stiffer thanks to the new 16v pressure plate, (the old one was tatered, :shock:  it didnt stand as proud as the new one) so fingers crossed this will sort the problems.

and the other bonus is that last week I was told my trackday pads have been made!!!!  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  they should be with me soon so thats another bonus!

Back to the top
ive been a bit busy since my last update  :lol:

in the last few days I have:

fitted new rear pads again,
adjusted the handbrake cables again
got the engine running!!!!!!!!!!!!

had a test drive.. found out the rear brakes are too good and lock before the fronts  :oops:

fitted the number plates
fitted the wiper arms back on
got the horn working, (need waking up with a hammer  :lol: )
put the posh wheels back on as I have now sold the trackday ones

change the front and rear engine mounts for polly ones,
changed the steering rack mounts for polly mounts.

the rear ARB has been removed due to the outter holders being very rusty (one had actually snapped!!!) so its been taken off, cleaned up, painted bright yellow for the fun of it :lol: and it will be back on wednesday afternoon as I have the poly mounts for the ARB arriving tuesday (might be on tuesday if i leave work early :wink:

and ive fiiiinnnaalllllyyy sorted the front indicators!!! the side repeaters on the front wasnt working, but im now running a pair of universal reverse lights which will have orange bulbs in them. job done. the indictors now flash at the proper rate  :lol:

I think I am just about ready for the MOT bar a quick clean and removing all the junk from the boot  :oops:

once hes got his MOT he will be on the road and crusing round!!  8)  I also have the rest of the poly mounts to fit when I get the time as well.

Back to the top
he is on the road!!! get in!!!! the only probs are…under hard brakings the back is still a bit too eager to over take the front, but thsi will be sorted soon,

and the ARB mounts STILL havent arrived!! but i have been assured that a second set have been sent out to me…so fingers crossed.

Back to the top
8)  Nice one, bet you're grinning like a Cheshire Cat :wink:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Ive had the car on the road!! and Ive missed it! its not rapidly fast but its fun and I forgot how many people stop and stare as you go past  :lol:

also the rear arb is now back on! along with new outter mounts from Crazy, and poly mounts, all I say is the outter mounts are a bugger to fit!!!  :lol:  but now they are on it feels better so all is well!

I have also just fitted my new steering wheel, a dinky 11" number, so I will see how I get on with that, it looks very smaller after the original bus GTI wheel  :lol:

Back to the top
heres a quick pic of the new wheel  :lol:

Im also going to pick up my new wheels for the mk1 tomorrow  8)

Back to the top
Hi mate  have the same steering wheel.
Is that one of the bosses of ebay? Tried asking them if they would fit a mk1 but couldn't get a good answer.
Did it fit on fine?

Back to the top

Grant25 said

Hi mate  have the same steering wheel.
Is that one of the bosses of ebay? Tried asking them if they would fit a mk1 but couldn't get a good answer.
Did it fit on fine?

I have no idea where the boss is from, sorry dude, I got it from a member on here  :) it does look like a non branded boss though..

if you get a large spline one you can get the large spline from any late mk2 / late cabby etc (anything post 88) as its just a sleave over the small spline…

Back to the top
MAY BE WIERS YOU ANY OF ENGINE BAY

Back to the top

mickeyone said

MAY BE WIERS YOU ANY OF ENGINE BAY

:lol:  what dude?

on a side note, I have new rims now  :wink:  pics will be up tomorrow. :mrgreen:

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.