Skip navigation

2.0l 16v charged - track action vid 7/9/09

Back to the top

2.0l 16v charged - track action vid 7/9/09

PhillTMK1GTI said

tempted to find a back box that's shorter?

excuse you!!!  8O

I looked better when the bumpers were on, but I dont think its too bad, :lol:  helps keep the crud away from the car,

Daily - 05 plate B6 A4 Avant S Line, with 19s for the summer.. wifes car - Rare Seat Exeo ST Sport 170 Tech
Weekend - MK2 20vt monster - Plus a mk1 caddy I am fixing for my bro

Back to the top
:lol:  :lol: LMAO

good point about keeping the crud away  :wink:

'82 Black 1600 GTI - Getting Better

Back to the top

M7R said

aye Im hoping to be on track after I finish uni as a way to let off some steam so not too long!

also on the plus side - I HAVE BRAKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8O  :lol:  :D  :twisted:  my bargin master cylinder from the scrappy off a audi 80 has finally given in to me!!! i had to get a eazybleed thing that conects to the tyre and run it a little higher than the 20psi it says  :twisted: but all the brakes have now bleed, and all 4 outlets give fluid so ive plumbed in the brke light switch to one of the spare ones.

the only issue now is that the adaptor brakes are STILL catching my discs!!!  :banghead:  :evil:  so they need another touch with the grinder, but while they are dragging they are making a groove on the surface (luckly at the very inside edge of the disc) and making pushing the car in and out on my own impossible! but hey ho, suh is life.

Are you running the audi 80 master cylinder off the standard servo? If so did the master fit in correctly? Hows the pedal response, harder than usual or about the same, less travel, sharper biting etc… Are you using the original brake lines? Have you got a pic of the setup? Sorry for all the q's but im thinking of doing the same but still using the standard servo, as mk2 gti 16v servo and master combos are going ridiculous prices these days. Loving your car by the way, the debumpered look looks awesome, and your ride height is just right with the way those wheels sit in the arches, but to be honest i prefered the ronals. Otherwise looks awesome, get some pics of the bay posted.
Cheers.

Back to the top
Yep im using the audi 80 MC with the stock servo, fitted in fine. the brake lines are original, well ish, I made it so their was only 2 outlets as I was having trouble bleeding the system but I recon i could easily go back to using 3 out lets fine now its all bled and I know how to do it (pumping with your foots useless you need to pressure bleed, way easier) (the stock MC uses 3 or the 4 out lets with 2 lines being joined together to make a split system. i have just joined the other 2 lines together as well like later cars)

Im yet to drive the car as I havent been able to due to the wheels, fingers crossed Ill get down the road next week if the weathers good. but the first signs are good, the pedal feed nice and firm and seems pretty good.

Im still on rubber hoses at the mo, I have 2 braded ones for the front to go on next week - the rears are being left as this way it will help stop them lockng under hard braking.

on the servo front a 3:1 servo from a mk2 etc will not give better brakes all it does it mean you ahve to apply less pressure. the same effect can be had with the origial servo by pressing the pedal harder  :wink:  also a higher powered servo gives a more numb feel to the brake, not whats needed on track so a later servo will not be going anywhere near my car.

I will report back next week when ive driven it down the road… :lol:  should be fine though  8)  and ill try and get a pic of the brake lines etc.

Daily - 05 plate B6 A4 Avant S Line, with 19s for the summer.. wifes car - Rare Seat Exeo ST Sport 170 Tech

Back to the top
Thats good news, i may invest in an audi 80 master, i would have got the 16v master but ive read somewhere (on this forum) that those masters do not fit on the standard servo, how did you or with what did you bend the original brake line pipes to suitably bolt on to the audi 80 master cylinder? What did you do with the brake light switch, on a t-piece i soppose? I also prefer a harder to push brake pedal as you get a more gradual feeling so im happy to stick with the standard servo. Let us know how it goes next week.
Cheers dude.

Back to the top
the brake pipes were just moved into place by hand, thats all I did. the switch is just plubmed into one of the spare outlet on the MC.

it seemed to fit the servo fine, but im yet to drive it so it may all be poo  :lol:

Back to the top
Nice ride, I'm another track schlag so always good to see another Mk1 trackcar.  I had problems with my 280 conversion in regards to wheels as they needed to clear both daily and track rims.  Luckily they clear both (G60 steels for the daily hack and 15" 5 spokes for the track).

Will get around to posting pics and full spec at some stage.

Back to the top
:D  the brakes work!!!!! well I think, I was only going 10mph down the street but the did stop me ok! ill know more tomorrow when the engines running right. they seem to be ok and has a nice short pedal.

Back to the top
Nice! Although i think we both agree 10mph is not enough to justify the power of the breaking..lol, do you feel like you need more effort to brake? How would you compare it with the the standard MC?
Let us know how it goes on yer next run.
Good luck!

Back to the top

BiG_J said

Nice! Although i think we both agree 10mph is not enough to justify the power of the breaking..lol, do you feel like you need more effort to brake? How would you compare it with the the standard MC?
Let us know how it goes on yer next run.
Good luck!

i tried again the other day at 30, i think the problem is that the brakes dont need masses of effort now to brake, but they seemed a bit better the second time. i now have new rubber on so ill know tomorrow if its better or not. i dont think it helps the brakes arent bedded in yet.

Back to the top
Yea ive been reading your thread over on club gti, i see that you have changed back to the standard MC? I think the problem for the audi 80 one for you is that you said it was already half pressed once its bolted down on the standard servo, this may be your reason for the brakes being too sharp and pedal travel being way too short, if its already half pressed im surprised the brakes are not partly applied! This is obviously because its a miss match of master cylinder and servo, which is a bummer really because ive brought an audi 80 master cylinder already (got abit too excited you see) and its actaully a 25mm bore! Im on the look out for a 9" servo now (if any of you guys have one for sale PM me please) but im still going to experiment with the standard servo, im gona try and cut/shorten the silver push rod inside the servo and see if i can fit the audi MC in flush. I'l let you know how it goes once i get cracking.
And also adjusting the tranfer bar wont reduce pedal effort or travel, all its going to do is make your pedal higher or lower.

Back to the top
with the mc half pressed the brakes wont be applied as the system is bled like this, the only issue would have been that if the MC wasnt big enough, enough fluid would not have been in front of the piston to actuate the slave clinders.

the audi MC is too big for stock vag calipers, unless you are running much larger front calipers.

the adjusting of the bar was to raise the pedal, by lengthening the bar on the bulk head the pedal is lowered, but the slack is removed from the system, then the clevis pin on the MC is removed and that link lingthened to raise the pedal back up, now the feel is very good and the travel is good too so for now im going to keep running this system. - at the same time as going back to the old MC i have also fitted braded hoses to the front which helps a little too.

Back to the top
Oh right, i thought once its pressed the fluid would have already been pushed while bleeding, but what you have mentioned makes sense, learnt something today! But im sure this is bad for the inner seals as the piston is being pushed in more?

Im running Vauxhall 256mm set up currently with 51mm calipers, but i have a set of 54mm calipers which i wish to use with the audi MC may even go for the larger 57mm from the later calibra turbo/v6's

As for getting rid of the slack theres another way, if you have a look at your pedal box you will notice a threaded hole inline with the brake pedal, if you can get a long enough m6 bolt and a nut to lock in position you can adjust where you want the pedal to stop.

Back to the top
the mk3 gti calipers are 54mm iirc, so you will at least need the turbo ones,

the mc is designed to use the full play, its only a issue on old MCs where the unswept bit my have the odd bit of crub, but if its new its fine.

on the pedal adjust it wasnt the hight that was a problem. the hight of the pedal was fine, but the actual part where it started to work was low, but taking the slack out as ive said above the hight comes back to level with the clutch but there isnt the dead space where it does nothing.

Back to the top
Took my servo out today, i was trying to get the audi MC to slot in, it got in fine but it would not pass the thread and i could not get the nuts in, so pushed the MC in even more, held it in place and tightend it up but then i was only left with roughly half an inch piston travel (when pressed with the servo) so i took the audi MC out had a look at the silver push rod to see if i can shorten it, it looked possible but from the looks of it if i were to do that the rod will not fully slot in the audi MC rod, so i left it and put the servo back in place along with the old MC. This concludes that i need a 9" servo as there push rods are further in. My brakes are poor from anything else i've driven, it just feels like the brakes do not bite! My golf has never been on the road (SORN) and im trying to get it ready for the road hopefully by the end of summer when ive hopefully got my license so im trying to get it perfect for me, especailly brakes as they're more of a safety item rather than performance item.
If any dudes got a 16v servo for sale im interested, please pm me.
Cheers.

Back to the top
well im leaving the old mc and servo on mine, works a treat! and this is bore its full beded in  :lol:

I also have a few pics from inters etc to put up tomorrow

Back to the top
Where are those pics of inters??
Anyhow, i managed to get hold of a 9" servo from a local scrappy last week, and i can say that the audi mc fits very nicely in place, i only manged bung it all up yesterday but ive still left to change my calipers to 54mm bleed the system and some how figuire out how to mount this brake light switch i have lying around, here's a few piccy of the set up for any of those who are interested.

And a pic of the engine bay  8)

Back to the top
I didnt want the larger servo as thsi will reduce the feel, so i have stuck with the old set up and it working very well for me.

on the brake switch i used a pedal switch from a b5 pissrat etc, and have attached this to the steering column which works very well and comes on sooner than the pressure switch.

I have some more but someone hacked my photobucket and deleted them so i need to upload them again…

Back to the top
as promised.

Taken at my dads work the day before inters

The sat meet for the dubclque stand.

Sunday pics at the end of the show when most had gone home.

Back to the top
As some ones messed around with my photo bucket account (i belive its a petty ex…..) alot of my pics have gone so im slowly re doing them, but in the mean time heres a link to a start to now of my cars that ive done - http://www.dubclique.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2650

the mk1s changed a bit  :oops:

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.