Skip navigation

Hes Died.

Back to the top

Hes Died.

Breaks, suspension etc are obvious factors.

Ive bought coilovers for my mk1, their on the way, so thats one reason why im defo not selling it.

Plus that would mean i wouldnt need gti suspension as id have better.

Im asuming theres quite a few people on this fourum who have changed 1.3s to gtis…

I asume they succeded.

Back to the top
He doesn't want to put a 20v T in or anythink like that (well he would like to)

I think he wants to put a 1.6 in or somthink.  Does the 1.6 have different brakes gearbox exhaust ect

Or is there a slighy bigger engine in mk1s that would bolt strate upto everythink his got.   Like in the mk3 the 1.6 is a overbore 1.4 so its a strate swap for example.  as easy as changing the 1.4 engine for an 1.4 engine

Back to the top
or even has anyone done this to show me what engine mounts would be needed, placment etc then id know the stuff i needed to do the conversion.

And all 1.3 engines now are shedded peices of crap, so tbf id find it alot easier to spend money on an engine that worked instead of didnt.

Back to the top

novocaine said

GTI has different mounts which means chopping out old mounts and welding in new. fuel tank is different as are all lines to and from it.
different fuel pump. gear linkage is different. suspension is different (different springs to take the weight as well as arb's front and rear) brake setup is different and brakes are different. can i stop yet ?
it's alot of work to change a non gti car into a gti thats safe.

yes alot of work. I no this..  Hows the fuel tank its self different?   And its realy surprising that they don't use the same mounting points.  Didn't think they would change the mounting points on the chassie… Whats the point. Thought it would be like mk2 and mk3 where they use the same mounts for 1.4s upto gti ect

Anyway it can be done just alot of work

Back to the top

phatVR6 said

novocaine said

GTI has different mounts which means chopping out old mounts and welding in new. fuel tank is different as are all lines to and from it.
different fuel pump. gear linkage is different. suspension is different (different springs to take the weight as well as arb's front and rear) brake setup is different and brakes are different. can i stop yet ?
it's alot of work to change a non gti car into a gti thats safe.

yes alot of work. I no this..  Hows the fuel tank its self different?   And its realy surprising that they don't use the same mounting points.  Didn't think they would change the mounting points on the chassie… Whats the point. Thought it would be like mk2 and mk3 where they use the same mounts for 1.4s upto gti ect

Anyway it can be done just alot of work

The fuel tank has internal baffles and an extra outlet low down, where the electric fuel pump connects to.

Even with coilovers, you'd still not have the anti roll bars which were standard on the GTI and not others.

I guess you'd have to take up the complaints regarding 2 different engine mounts, directly with VW. But basically, the small block engines trace their history to the Audi 50, the big blocks to the Audi 80/VW Passat.

Back to the top
alot of condasending remarks in this thread

Back to the top
Its true.

And easy alex, eventually decided to have a peep.

I think a gti would be alot better than a 1.3, saves me doing it int he future, mayaswell do it when my engines mashed tbh.

Get a student loan anyway soon apparently so i could do an engine conversion with that….

Back to the top

phatVR6 said

He doesn't want to put a 20v T in or anythink like that (well he would like to)

I think he wants to put a 1.6 in or somthink.  Does the 1.6 have different brakes gearbox exhaust ect

Or is there a slighy bigger engine in mk1s that would bolt strate upto everythink his got.   Like in the mk3 the 1.6 is a overbore 1.4 so its a strate swap for example.  as easy as changing the 1.4 engine for an 1.4 engine

the 1.3 is the bored out engine it would have started life as 900cc or 1000cc (not sure) engine and bored out too 1272cc so it don't get any bigger than that without replacing mounts. could bolt a polo gt engine straight in and they are wicked engines! just finding one thats difficult.

Back to the top
haha tried to buy one of them but its hard to find one, especially in decent condition, was one on ebay yesterday sad he wanted 450, got sold today…

So im looking for any engine available really which is fast and good condition.

Back to the top

paul_c said

Cheers, is the 7 bar reading with the throttle wide open?

…and the bonnet wide open?  Don't see what this has to do with anything.

Sounds like your rings are knackered mate.

You can bolt in a 1.6 engine out of a Skoda Favorit/Seat Cordoba and run it on late mk2 Polo 1300 Dizzy and ignition and your carb and manifolding off your 1.3 Driver engine.

It'll bolt straight in on the Driver mounts, use your Driver gearbox and give you a fair old power hike.

If you want to go GTI/16V/G60 engine, you are going to have to spend out quite a bit on the conversion whereas you can get a Skoda/Seat for about 37p.

Back to the top

Steve_Matthews said

paul_c said

Cheers, is the 7 bar reading with the throttle wide open?

…and the bonnet wide open?  Don't see what this has to do with anything.

Because compression readings starting from a part-vacuum (closed throttle) are different to compressions starting from atmospheric (WOT).

Back to the top
Sound Steve

Ill look for one tbf, sounds best really.

That or get a 1.8/1.6 gti engine and change the mounts…

:)

Any liter out of the skoda/seats?

Cheers.

Back to the top
Dude, I suggest keeping a smaller engine, they're cooler anyway :mrgreen:  Iv just replaced mine with a GT/coupe S polo engine, did all the swapping myself, just had a mate help time it up as I had no idea how to.  Not too hard really and im happy to give u advice if you decide to go down this route. :)

My mate just replaced his 1.3 with a 1.4 16v from a mk4 polo, without any mount changes apart from the usual five speed gbox mount mod. Electric fuel pump and bike carbs and he was away! Custom manifold for the carbs mind. 8)

I also understand a 1.4 8v from a mk4 polo fits without too much hassle.

Back to the top

paul_c said

Also……………………..

"Don't build a car you can buy"

ie, forget about dreams of putting a 1.6 carb, 1.6 injection or 1.8 injection engine into your 1.3. Just buy the equivalent Mk1 Golf, trust me it will be better in the long run.

paul was going through this thread when i saw your response - just to clarify, i am in a similar situation my 1.3 possibly needs a rebuild(not sure need to investigate fully) & was also considering putting another engine in; your quote "dont build a car you can buy" are you including the repair of the original 1.3 engine such as a rebuild, part of this statement. :dontknow:

Cheers
 :)  :D  :)

83 driver - in need of some tlc!

Back to the top

kernow-jim said

paul_c said

Also……………………..

"Don't build a car you can buy"

ie, forget about dreams of putting a 1.6 carb, 1.6 injection or 1.8 injection engine into your 1.3. Just buy the equivalent Mk1 Golf, trust me it will be better in the long run.

paul was going through this thread when i saw your response - just to clarify, i am in a similar situation my 1.3 possibly needs a rebuild(not sure need to investigate fully) & was also considering putting another engine in; your quote "dont build a car you can buy" are you including the repair of the original 1.3 engine such as a rebuild, part of this statement. :dontknow:

Cheers
 :)  :D  :)

83 driver - in need of some tlc!

Rebuild/replace a 1.3 with 1.3, but don't replace 1.3 with 1.8 since in addition to the engine, there's trans, gear linkage, engine mount to move, probably different dash, if FI then fuel tank, fuel lines, fuel pump, electrics; different suspension, wheels, brakes. In other words, replacing an engine is one thing - the other work do end up with a properly converted car is about 800% more work! Fine if you want a project…..or if you're going so far beyond the 1.8 GTI anyway (for example 20vT) and would replace/upgrade the GTI items mentioned.

Back to the top
Many thanks i shall rebuild!! :mrgreen:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.