Skip navigation

young driver

Back to the top

young driver

hi im 16 and i am thinking of buying a mk1 golf gti when i leave school i think the driving age has changed to 18 now but i was wondering how much the insurence will by when i start driving
hopefully not loads because i used to like minis but i think the mk1 golf is better. cheers :mrgreen:

Back to the top

Re: young driver

heady69 said

hi im 16 and i am thinking of buying a mk1 golf gti when i leave school i think the driving age has changed to 18 now but i was wondering how much the insurence will by when i start driving
hopefully not loads because i used to like minis but i think the mk1 golf is better. cheers :mrgreen:

best way mate, go on somehitng liek confused.com and do a few quotes, enter your age at 18 and see what happens.. ives you an idea i s'pose…
didnt think it had change yet tho  :dontknow:

as to golfs, way better than a mini, most start off with mini's then have progressed up to a mk1 golf.. I'm too big for minis so cant comment on them really.. well doen for a good choice tho

Back to the top
cheers also are mk1 hard to work on because i was watching weeler dealer and there was lots of wiring lol

Back to the top

heady69 said

cheers also are mk1 hard to work on because i was watching weeler dealer and there was lots of wiring lol

lots of wiring in every car mate

like most older cars they are more basic therefore easier to work on.. just they are becomming more desireable so parst will get harder to source and more expensive, but there is people like crazyquiff who have everything you'll need

Back to the top
just got a quote lol they want ?456 montly installments lol i duno if i should get 1 i think it is a bit to much as a starter

Back to the top

heady69 said

just got a quote lol they want ?456 montly installments lol i duno if i should get 1 i think it is a bit to much as a starter

i wouldnt base that for a reason not to get one, what was that on tho, a gti??

there's afew young owners on ere, might be worth awaiting a response from them…

Back to the top
yer that was for a gti i still want one but i will wait till i hear from other young drivers

Back to the top
alright heady, got a 1.3 mk1.

i'm 18 paying 2k a year, kept on the drive.

the car is off the road now, just got a quote for the new car i am after whilst i work on mine, a 1 litre polo and that is ?675 a year!

you might be best getting something like a 1 litre polo or similar for your first year of driving, (you can get them for peanuts, less than 300 for a decent mk2 model) and then start looking for a golf when you are getting up to the end of your first year on the road. it will work out a lot cheaper in the long run.

young drivers and big engines (GTIs) don't really mix, i'm kind of taking a risk and putting a supercharged 1.8 in my golf but i'll be 20 when it's finished, so i reckon it'll be about the 2k mark still…

if you decide to go for a mk1 for your first car, like me, ideally look for a golf C, these are 1.1 models and were available in 5 door and the (what seems to be) more desirable 3 door. while the golf Driver model (mine) is only a 1.3, they were sold with the whole GTI body kit (wide arches, twin headlamp grille, and i think maybe GTI side decals (not 100% on the decals), which the insurance companies seem to think makes them more desirable to thieves as they look like GTIs. many Drivers have had all the GTI gear removed for a cleaner look, and i suppose so they don't look like they're something they're not.

at the end of the day, you'll just need to shop around, i jumped at the first quote i got, which i kind of regret as i'm pretty sure i could have got it cheaper elsewhere.

good luck with your search buddy.

1983 Polo CL - daily

1984 Golf G60 Syncro - sold

1989 Rallye Golf - sold

1992 Corrado G60 - crushed

1989 Polo C - chopped and crushed

1991 309 Style - crushed

Back to the top
Hiya, Welcome!  :D

You'd probably be better to aim at getting a MK1 with a smaller engine to start with, and then working your way up to a GTI. The insurance is always going to be a killer whatever you get for your first car, but on a GTI it'll be worse!

There are lots of cool models around apart from GTIs. Have a look at the different threads, and pics in the 'Favourite Pics of your Car' thread.

Good luck  :D

Back to the top
im 20, does that count as young?  :lol:

I'd agree with john, small engine car until you at least get your first years no claims.

Oh and if your anything like most young drivers i know you'll have a crash in your first year…

Back to the top
Mate, insurance on a GTI for a first car at 18 year old, is gonna be over 2,000 a year. If you can somehow afford it then go for it. But it's a ridiculous amount of money at this age.

My first was a 1.1c when I was 17, loved it. But had to sell 'cos I couldnt afford to run it, which is also another thing you have to think about.

Also I make ?456 a month about ?5,000 quid  :lol:

1.1 all the way eh  :wink:

'83 1.5 Gx (picture coming soon)

Back to the top
You could try some of the classic tricks such as putting a parent on the policy with you as this can reduce the premium. Then look at all combinations of mileage and engines with different companies and get the best quote.

I would be tempted to ring around the brokers as their staff do a lot of searching and can often get you a better deal by talking to the underwriters directly. I got a guy running around to get the best policy when I got my first car, he rang me back twice and managed to eventually save me a couple of hundred quid.

With quite a lot of things you can spend hours searching to get the best deal or just get the cheapest one that confused.com spits out.

Yradave says relax.

Back to the top
mines a big block engine, 1.5 JB

insurance for the first year at 17 with my own policy was ?1275 with liverpool victoria, give em a ring

now ive paid ?800 odd for this year and it will go down in september

but i think this engine size is the largest your going to get away with tbh

hope this helps

Back to the top
I hear over at TESCO you can be a named driver on parents policy, and still build up your no claims! :P

'83 1.5 Gx (picture coming soon)

Back to the top
i'd agree with other fellas for your first car get something small. id be surprised if you get insurance for less than ?1200 on any car. i had a 1.2 clio n reg when i passed at 17 and that was 1800 for the year!

Back to the top

MK1_Arron said

I hear over at TESCO you can be a named driver on parents policy, and still build up your no claims! :P

I think you need to be really careful with offers like this, think only tesco will recognise your no-claims… so they can still charge you loads…

Back to the top
Mk1john gives sound advice. He's been there done that etc. Ease yourself into car ownership with a cheap runabout, build up your no-claims and save the money that you would have paid the greedy insurance man to put towards your dream car.

DubPartz

Back to the top
are mk1 golf any good compared to the gti

Back to the top
btw Heady69, the driving age is NOT changin to 18 or whatever, that has been an urban myth for about 20 years now, and somehow everyone still believes it!!!! the driving age is staying at 17 in the forseeable future and no-one has even considered changing it! (check the 'net if u dont believe!)

Regarding insurance, i doubt u would ever be able to afford a GTI at your age, but its def. worth looking around. When i was 17 my insurance for my 1.6 cabrio was just over ?800 with tesco (on my mums policy with her no claims) and as im just 18 ive had my renewal for next year, which has gone down to ?560!  :D

Back to the top

heady69 said

are mk1 golf any good compared to the gti

Apart from the obvious - less sporty, less performance, slightly worse handling - the consensus is, the Mk1 Golf in any form is a pretty good little car!

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.