Skip navigation

worst cars you have owned

Back to the top

worst cars you have owned

Worst car owned needs to be in context.

If it was a 23 year old 950 Fester with Fred Flintstone floors, 3 weeks MOT left, 17 previous owners and cost ?50 from a bloke in the pub, what do you expect?

If it was a new or nearly new motor from a main stealer then your expectations would be higher and more easily letdown if it turned out to be poor quality and always broke down.

My worst was a 2 yr old Diesel Polo I ran for 3+ years, VW expensive to maintain, always bits going wrong or droping off and never managed to pass any of the 3 MOTs even though FVWSH.

I know everyone knows someone who had a bad experience with one particular brand or another but in my experience modern Renault and Fords are better than modern VWs 8O  Think DJHeap on here can also back that up with his experiences of a new Passat vs a new Scenic

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
Not had a car I didn't like. Been quite lucky. Only had 4 cars though.

My current Bora has been the biggest headache for breaking down.(i.e. its cost me the most to repair). But its comfy and serves me well so can't dislike it.

My mini was probably worse but I just picked up whatever fell off and gaffer taped it back on.

Back to the top
early-1800 is right

brand new passat TDI estate, door locks continually, ball joints (1 year in), catalytic convertor never even knew diesels had them. nice car to drive solid but never 18 months problem free. Eventually got rid at 7 or 8 years, so did enjoy the car. got rid as air con compressor gone (how much :banghead: ) and head gasket/overheating just before it was traded in. Interior and rattle wise better then both french cars at 7 years that they where when weeks old.

brand new peaugeot 205 GTi, had for 3 years, rattled like a trouper felt flimsy but great car to drive. Nothing went wrong just new exhaust from me catching when the car came back to earth after a hump.

brand new renault now 3 years old and just one air con pipe thats it. Build quality rubbish in comparison, sloppy to drive rattles, plastic everywhere but problem free and half the price. :banghead:  :banghead:

1988 1.8 carb Golf Clipper

Back to the top
I have had a vast number of cars, and to be honest
a lot of them were terrible, but a couple spring
to mind..

Austin Montego ( I was only 17 when I had that, everything fell off it)
Fiat X19           ( it disintegrated in the rain)
Vauxhall Frontera (40,000 miles, timing belt went, shell bearings etc..)
Sierra 2.0        (used so much oil we called it the Exon Valdese)
                       (After the giant oil tanker ship)

Dibbler

Golf MK1 GLi Golf MK2 GTi Golf MK3 GTi Galaxy 2.3 Ghia X Seat Inca 1.9 Diesel Tomorrow is almost over, today went by so fast The only thing to look forward too is the past.

Back to the top

djheap22 said

early-1800 is right

brand new passat TDI estate, door locks continually, ball joints (1 year in), catalytic convertor never even knew diesels had them. nice car to drive solid but never 18 months problem free. Eventually got rid at 7 or 8 years, so did enjoy the car. got rid as air con compressor gone (how much :banghead: ) and head gasket/overheating just before it was traded in.

Pretty much what I'm like with the Bora. Had a focus for 2 years spent ?35 on repairs. Had Bora 3 years and reckon I've spent 2000 and theres a bit more still needs doing. :banghead:  :banghead:

But as you say its nice to drive, not quick or anything but quiet, comfy etc….

Back to the top
Have not owned any "bad" cars as i have only had Dubs my whole driving life :D  

and replacing or repairing an old VW is a pleasurable experience not a bad one :wink:

92 Sportline in Flash Red, Standard **SOLD**

91 G60 Corrado in Aqua Blue pearl

91 Rallye Golf, Tornado Red, AMD tuned to 220bhp 227 flb torque 9j x16 Borbet B alloys

1985 B Alpine white mk2 Golf Gti

Back to the top
i'm on my first car still, will be getting a bad car soon though  :twisted:

1983 Polo CL - daily

1984 Golf G60 Syncro - sold

1989 Rallye Golf - sold

1992 Corrado G60 - crushed

1989 Polo C - chopped and crushed

1991 309 Style - crushed

Back to the top
alfa 156 jtd 2.4
lovely engine but massively flawed everywhere else..typical italian car, if a jobs worth doing its worth half doing DO NOT BE TEMPTED BY LOOKS ALFAS REALLY ARE RUBBISH

Mk1 '92 cab ABF  Jenveys & Emerald
2004 Mk1 Fabia VRS
2002 Audi A4 Avant 1.9tdi

Back to the top
Not quite a car - but Renault Kangoo van - worthless piece of junk,  but then again most french cars are.  :twisted:

Back to the top
1.3 mg metro turbo

my parents gave it to me for my 17th birthday……… with no breaks…. it never made it onto the road and was scrapped after a year of trying to find parts… thats love for you.

and my old e30, smashed the front the day i got it in a car park when a delivery truck decided to hit every stationary car it could, i went through two engines in a year, the seats where shredded because of a mate smoking in the back, the 6x9 speakers i put in her didnt fit right for two months, i got the speakers fitted and burnt out the engine for a third time at the matterly bowl in winchester with two foot of mud around me and 20 ravers with eyes the size of dish pans trying to push it…

worst car ever frankly.

Back to the top
Austin A30 - when I was 18 (a LONG time ago) !!!!! It lasted 2 weeks...

Owning a Mk1 cabby is a vertical learning curve…

1989 Mk1 Clipper 1.8 automatic - Sadly now up for sale - medical issues dictate)

1999 (Nov) Passat S Saloon 1.9 TDI (AFN) - TUG 1 (Remap by CCC ( - **** …..change pants !!) with cruise control

2000 (Mar) Passat Sport Estate 1.9 TDI (ATJ) 5 speed automatic with Tiptronic - TUG 2 (Remap and cruise control by CCC)

Back to the top

Prowler said

Austin A30 - when I was 18 (a LONG time ago) !!!!! It lasted 2 weeks…

I had an Austin 1300 GT as my first car when I was 18 (probably a longer time ago than you Prowler!!)

It was orange with a black trim down the sides and I loved it cos it was mine!!!  :lol:

It was like driving a baked bean tin on bicycle wheels!!  :lol:  :lol:

Back to the top

quikclipper said

alfa 156 jtd 2.4
lovely engine but massively flawed everywhere else..typical italian car, if a jobs worth doing its worth half doing DO NOT BE TEMPTED BY LOOKS ALFAS REALLY ARE RUBBISH

ditto beautiful to look at but always something electrical going wrong. must be the italians as my ducati 750ss was very similar

Back to the top
ducati 750ss was a friday bike. ended up making a custom loom for one a year or so back after the first being butchered by a moron who got fed up of it and took the whole bike to bits. still only cost us 600 quid in boxes and was an awsome bike once finished (till the handle bar came off pushing it into a trailer)

italians design some of the best looking vehicles on the road but they dont like being driven. :lol:

Back to the top
oh if we are including bikes……

kawasaki rgr….

an utter piece of poop, never started when i needed it to, would always break down in the rain, the speedo never worked on mine, or any of the other ones ive seen, when i farted on it i swear the faring broke, electrics constantly blew out with a hell of a white flash each time… shocking bike all round.

Back to the top
yamaha 600 fazer… utter pants.  handled like a set of gates and was about as fast as a honda 50. clocks didnt work right and the whole front fairing console constantly rattling over 30mph….  :x

Back to the top
ive had about 30-40 (lost count!) cars all with varying degrees of crapness mg montego springs to mind bought for ?30 as write off spent ?30 doing it up struggled to sell for ?60 sounded like a squadron of lancaster bombers flying over berlin (all four wheelbearings gone) but worst car was last year 1990 corrado saw on ebay (yes i know alarm bells already) paid more than i ment to  :banghead:  :banghead:  got one way ticket to london, big mistake, picked up in dark, bigger mistake, tried to convince it wasn't THAT bad on way home, fooling no-one, midnight on m6 rear tyre blew out pitch black dint know if it had a spare wheel let alone a jack, luckily both.took to friends garage cos mot had less than a week, (DOH!) to be fair it didnt fail on much bulb,  brakeflexi but everything was advised it was on its last legs.
despite that it was probably one of the best handling cars ive owned and i somehow , i still dont know to this day how, managed to sell it for a ?500 profit :dontknow:

Back to the top
all im saying is 106!  :banghead:

Back to the top
mk3 8v golf! :banghead:

Back to the top
Mk3 Fiesta 1100

Absolutely awful car.  Never liked to start when there had been a hint of rain the night before or there way a vowel in the month.  Handled like a wet bar of soap.  Accelerated like it had flagstones in the boot.  On the plus side it did have good brakes though - lol
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.