Skip navigation

I'm here!

Back to the top

I'm here!

Hello everyone!

Thought I'd sign up after lurking for a bit.  Going to see my potential new mk1 Golf cabriolet on Sunday and I'm proper excited!  It's owned by another member of the local VAG club I help run in Newport, South Wales (newportedition.com), and have seen the car a good few times, and it's nicer to buy a good example from someone you know!  Unless it falls to bits when I test drive it then I'll almost certainly be making the purchase.  

Here's a couple of snaps (I think the 2nd one's not quite so recent):-

Plans are to get coilovers, ronal turbos, crystal lights, single headlamp debadged grille and a nice headunit with some nice components up front.  Long term plan is to convert to power hood. Apart from one front wheel you can see it's in v good condition so I'm lucky to be starting off with a great example.  A touch of tlc here and there and she'll be perfect.  She has a black leather interior which will certainly burn in the summer!

I currently own a moderately modified Fabia vRS which I'm selling to rejoin the oldskool VAG fraternity, and to pay some bills off of course!  I've previously owned 3 8v mk2 Golf GTI's and a Polo G40.  Always hankered after a mk1 so really can't wait!  Summer motoring here I come!

Anyway, enough waffle from me.  I look forward to chatting to you all and meeting up at the many VW/VAG shows I'll be attending with my local club, and maybe even with you lot if you'll have me!

Cheers,

Nick

:D

Back to the top
Looks nice!

I've got some Castellets to polish and put on mine, so I've been looking at your pic with interest!

Welcome  :D

Back to the top
Hi Nick, looks tidy, hope you buy it :wink:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Thanks guys, come Sunday afternoon all will be revealed…

I'm sure I'll have it tbh.  :)

Back to the top
welcome.

just incase you havent seen cabrio buyers guide is here

http://www.vwgolfmk1.info/main/Buyingacab.pdf

1988 1.8 carb Golf Clipper

Back to the top
Cheers peeps!

Well I went to see it today and was more than pleasantly surprised, it's in very, very good condition, with just the tiniest bit of tlc needed (and I mean pretty much nothing!).  It's been lowered now, the interior is lovely and there's a nice momo steering wheel too.  The engine purrs like a kitten and it's just generally impressive!

Picking her up next weekend.

Here she is:-

Can't wait!  Let the fun begin.  :)

Back to the top
Nice one!

Do you have plans??

Banner

Back to the top
looks good mate, not sure baout ronal turbs on a kitted floppy tho, IMO they look better on olde rones without the bodykit.. I had multispoke son my old clipper, and got the tintop now with ronals.. :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:
Each to your own tho

good move tho

Back to the top
Ta guys!

Plans are pretty much the same as in one of my earlier posts.  I've seen a couple of pics of ronals on some karmann kitted cabbies (liking the floppy top nickname!  LOL) and I really like so defo going for it…  I'm sure I'll be bored with them in a year so will get different ones afterwards!

Really looking forward to getting her now, project 'snowy' is ready to begin!  Just need to sell the vRS now to raise some funds.  :)

Back to the top

nickl0 said

Just need to sell the vRS now to raise some funds.  :)

Or strip the VRS engine and pop it in the cabby???!

Looks like a nice example mate well done!

Back to the top
Hehe, would be nice.  I'll miss the diesel torque and every single mod-con on the car.  However, I've wanted a mk1 for ages so it's all good.  Lapping the nurburgring slowly with the roof down in October methinks!

Back to the top

nickl0 said

Hehe, would be nice.  I'll miss the diesel torque and every single mod-con on the car.  However, I've wanted a mk1 for ages so it's all good.  Lapping the nurburgring slowly with the roof down in October methinks!

Who needs mod cons mk1s have it all!,
air con = gaps around the windows
Diesel torque = gti engine
power steering = stronger arms
electric windows = just make a buzzing noise as you wind the handles

Back to the top
Lol, I like the buzzing window idea!

I can't agree with the GTI torque thing mind, my vrs goes faster backwards than the poor 8v could ever hope to achieve going forwards!  Lol.  I'll defo miss the vrs when it's gone.  :(

However, it's a lovely, lovely car, and what it lacks in power it more than makes up for with cool-factor!

Plus I'll be looking at big valve heads, cams, 4 branch manifolds and some better brakes next winter, I think, that should provide a bit more fun when the roof's up!

Back to the top
Is it a GTI or clipper? Clipper will be quite slow compared to the vRS. GTI should be a little bit better but being a cabby (heavier), will still be a little bit off. I imagine the power-to-weight ratio of a hatchback GTI is probably very similar to the vRS, so it will give similar performance.

Back to the top
It's a GTI and is nippy, but it doesn't compare speed-wise to my vRS.  The vRS is remapped to 180-ish bhp and has over 300ft/lb of torque mind…  :)

Still, speed aside, I'll prefer the cabby!

Back to the top
I know what you mean with the fun factor, I gave up a mk3 vr6 for the cabby and never looked back!

You could pop in a 2L 16v Fairly cheep if you dont mind doing the work yourself? That way it would leave the vrs standing!!

Back to the top
Perhaps is a case of getting me just getting old, low and slow from now on, 31 this summer!

I wouldn't mind an engine swap tbh, although the engine in it presently is in such good order I think it would be cheeky to replace it!

Back to the top
Hello & Welcome Aboard from N.Wales! :wink:

Back to the top
welcome  :D

Back to the top
All good news!  Picked th cab up on Sunday and it's great!  It's currently in storage waiting for me to sell my vRS as I can't afford to run 2 cars at once, so I'm hoping it sells quickly!

Here she is, ready for me to take her top off come the summer!

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.