Skip navigation

HELP!! 1.8 mk1 wont run.

Back to the top

HELP!! 1.8 mk1 wont run.

subwestyjon said

Only other thing is my car is an 81 but has had the 1.8 put in, are the ignition modules different?

No, they're all the same.

Back to the top
honestly dont know pre 81 would have run points and condensor i think

Back to the top
1981 used electronic ignition (I think). 1980 might have been the last year of non-electronic.

Back to the top
Yeah it is definatley electronic. 28 pounds from gsf though. Not cheap!

Thanks for all the help think i am going to try what you have said and then see where i am.

Thanks
Jon

Back to the top

running problem

mine did this. I ended up having to change the fuel pump and injectors and pipes etc.

It sounds a little like an air leak. Try spraying something flamable but not as flamable asa fuel (wd40) around the inlet manifold gasket to the cylinder head (do it all the way around) while it is running. If it tries to die it's not getting the right fuel air mixture so the gasket might have failed. You also might see the colour of the exhaust gasses change if it burns anything other than fuel and air

Any way, just a thought. It costs nothing to try haha

Back to the top
i had something similiar.. its a long shot but take a sample of the petrol and check it by setting it on fire (carefully). I was getting water in my tank because the breather pipe had come off the filler neck. Like i said its a long shot but you never know! i couldnt believe it!
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.