Skip navigation

Garage hurt my car..

Back to the top

Garage hurt my car..

god won't love you for smoothing your door handles.

tasteful mods are where it's at, less is more. (that doesn't mean less door handles).

i think you're picking the wrong car to butcher

1983 Polo CL - daily

1984 Golf G60 Syncro - sold

1989 Rallye Golf - sold

1992 Corrado G60 - crushed

1989 Polo C - chopped and crushed

1991 309 Style - crushed

Back to the top

Tobiasdangel said

"But tbh, ima leave it till i smooth my doors, planning on doing them soon so.." - Just a thought but if you were to smooth the doors how would you get in? - maybe through the window??  :lol:

Basically, what happens is you link a remote alarm/central locking module into a couple of high power (they need to be higher than regular central locking) solenoids, which can pop open the doors. I think (not sure) that by law you're required to have a mechanical 'handle' of some kind to open the door from the outside (anyone an MoT tester and can confirm the exact requirement here?), so naturally for a smoothed door look, you'd need to hide this. Its typically done by a strong wire which would sit under the sill and be pulled to open the door.

Back to the top

paul_c said

Tobiasdangel said

"But tbh, ima leave it till i smooth my doors, planning on doing them soon so.." - Just a thought but if you were to smooth the doors how would you get in? - maybe through the window??  :lol:

Basically, what happens is you link a remote alarm/central locking module into a couple of high power (they need to be higher than regular central locking) solenoids, which can pop open the doors. I think (not sure) that by law you're required to have a mechanical 'handle' of some kind to open the door from the outside (anyone an MoT tester and can confirm the exact requirement here?), so naturally for a smoothed door look, you'd need to hide this. Its typically done by a strong wire which would sit under the sill and be pulled to open the door.

i'd laugh if someone did it, the solenoids weren't strong enough to pop the doors and they didn't connect a release wire.

serve them right for being too lazy to use a handle

1983 Polo CL - daily

1989 Rallye Golf - sold

1991 309 Style - crushed

Back to the top
could go down the tvr route and put electric buttons under the wing mirror. think it's a waste of time though as when your battery goes flat you won't be able to open the door's. and it'll be alot easier to nick if you have remote door opening. the better option is audi style handles but i still dont like them either.

Back to the top
Its one of those mods - simply for looks, but in reality takes away a whole bunch of practicality from the car. I guess if you did it right, you could perceive it as more practical, but one day you'll have a flat battery and you'll be cursing it….

(I suppose you could leave the tailgate lockable on the key, and use this in an emergency? Still that doubt over the MoT though).

From MoT manual (see http://www.ukmot.com/6-5.asp#Text_top):

Check also that front doors can be opened from both inside and outside the vehicle

Back to the top
Sorry to hear about the damage. Were thay not in a bad way to start with. It seems very strange to get your car back in this state  :dontknow:

BTW….Smoothed guttering and now smoothed handles. I reckon you should buy a modern jelly mould car with no angles or edges. A MK1 simply isn't for you.    :naughty:

DubPartz

Back to the top

DubPartz said

BTW….Smoothed guttering and now smoothed handles. I reckon you should buy a modern jelly mould car with no angles or edges. A MK1 simply isn't for you.    :naughty:

:mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

Back to the top
read trhe rfr's paul an exemption for modified passenger doors and you only need to be open the door from the outside no requirments as to how it opens

83 BBS MK1 GTI 69 T2 PANEL VAN i am back let the trouble begin :)

Back to the top

mk1john said

tasteful mods are where it's at, less is more. (that doesn't mean less door handles).

you have the worlds best sig 8)

1983 Golf 1.3 Driver:  

Back to the top

X said

mk1john said

haha cheers matt, might spruce it up a bit today

1983 Polo CL - daily

1989 Rallye Golf - sold

1991 309 Style - crushed

Back to the top

mk1john said

X said

mk1john said

haha cheers matt, might spruce it up a bit today

2009 8O long project is it?

1983 Golf 1.3 Driver:  

Back to the top
the car will be getting a complete respray, rebuilding the G60 engine, new interior trimmed in leather and alcantara, whole new brakes, new 3 piece secret wheels ;).

don't have the money to have it finished before then, i've worked out that it will cost me at least an entire year's wage to do.. so summer 09 is optimistic :lol:

1983 Polo CL - daily

1989 Rallye Golf - sold

1991 309 Style - crushed

Back to the top

mk1john said

the car will be getting a complete respray, rebuilding the G60 engine, new interior trimmed in leather and alcantara, whole new brakes, new 3 piece secret wheels ;).

don't have the money to have it finished before then, i've worked out that it will cost me at least an entire year's wage to do.. so summer 09 is optimistic :lol:

yeah that stands to reason then…

make sure you keep the resto thread going then :y: sounds like a decent project :mrgreen:

1983 Golf 1.3 Driver:  

Back to the top

bbsmk1 said

read trhe rfr's paul an exemption for modified passenger doors and you only need to be open the door from the outside no requirments as to how it opens

Cheers for that, hence the clarification asked for! So, all ok for MoT time?

Back to the top

paul_c said

bbsmk1 said

Cheers for that, hence the clarification asked for! So, all ok for MoT time?

yep

83 BBS MK1 GTI 69 T2 PANEL VAN i am back let the trouble begin :)
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.