Skip navigation

Ultimate brake setup

Back to the top

Ultimate brake setup

Can anyone tell me what the best brake set up is that will bolt onto the mk1 gti?  Im looking at putting a G60 16V engine into mine so will need a brake upgrade.  Ideally i would buy new calipers etc if anyone can help?

Back to the top
rear disks from a mk2 gti would be a big improvement :)

all bolts on from the stub axle  onwards…

and a set of scirocco hand brake cables for the length.

93' cab in need of a miracle

Back to the top

mk1nath said

my own view is that rear discs dont help they will make the car back happy under breaking the mk1 rear drums are fine just upgrade the fronts to the bigger discs and calipers from and early audi 80  :wink:

Back to the top
it all depends on your budget really.

you could go stock calipers spaced out to take 270 or even 285mm dicsc,

or theres mk3 calipers from gtis up to 95-96 which gives 280mm discs when using G60 discs and a larger pistion, these need a adaptor bracket too. this is the set up im fitting to my mk1 gti track car.

or you could go 4pot with will wood calipers etc, good but costly, and then you also have to use thier pads too, something to take into account.

you also need to look at running a larger master cylinder and poss servo too. like I say it all depends on your budget and what you want from it

Daily - 05 plate B6 A4 Avant S Line, with 19s for the summer.. wifes car - Rare Seat Exeo ST Sport 170 Tech
Weekend - MK2 20vt monster - Plus a mk1 caddy I am fixing for my bro

Back to the top

mk1nath said

a waste of time imho, the back dont do that much, drums if looked after, cleaned and checked work brill and the hand brake is better, i just use the stock drums on my track car its fine.

Daily - 05 plate B6 A4 Avant S Line, with 19s for the summer.. wifes car - Rare Seat Exeo ST Sport 170 Tech
Weekend - MK2 20vt monster - Plus a mk1 caddy I am fixing for my bro

Back to the top
For the ultimate, first a set of large dia wheels and then aftermarket such as willwood as already mentioned, although i doubt you really need the ultimate.

Back to the top
Ah the age old debate of rear disks on a mk1 !!!

IMO rear disks are a great mod, self adjusting drums are just a pain in the rear, and require lots of tlc to keep in top order. In the 4 years since I fitted my disks I have not had to touch them, the pedal height stays the same and they look sooooooo much better.
I have not experienced any back snappy braking even under really hard braking.

On the front I have the 256mm setup from a 16v mk2 using the Audi 80 adaptors. I have combined them with a 16v servo and 22mm master cylinder and goodridge hoses and copper nickel brake lines. I also replaced the rear compensator to give a really clean system.

Do be careful with going too big on the front disks, you can overbrake a car, the mk1 is very light.

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
I have the same setup as lhasadreams and it's great.

Back to the top
Agree rear discs for ease of maintenance and better looks.

Back to the top
Thanks for all the info.  Im looking at around 250BHP in the car although i will be fitting a LSD in the gearbox. I need a good set of brakes that will stop the car effectively and wont meltdown lol.  Im a long way off the finished article but im starting to collect all the parts i need for the conversion.

Back to the top
if it were myself, i would definently not put rear discs on. nothing else to add, all been said.

Back to the top
i spent all that money making my car fast the last thing i want is brakes slowing me down :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Back to the top
my rear brakes are fine .
hmmmm

93' cab in need of a miracle

Back to the top

brakes

mk2 16v rear discs, 16v master cylinder and larger discs. I have all this and EBC green stuff pads all round and i cant fault them.

Back to the top
My setup:
16V Servo, 16 M/C.
Vauxhall Calipers/Mk2 256mm Discs Up front
Mk4 Golf Rear Calipers/Mk2 Disc set up on the rear.

I would never bother changing to rear discs if my car didn't already have them when I bought it, does feel slightly overbraked to the rear.

Mk1 Golf 16V Conversion FAQ Zip, now located at in the Forum WIKI section: http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=cedi&type=misc&id=42%2F26%2F3

Back to the top
personal preference i think really! i've had both, and for me personally i wouldn't go back to drums! never had a problem with rear wanting to step out, or twitching under hard pedal. granted handbrake is more secure on drums, but so is 1st gear!! lol! :lol:  like i say, each to there own…what ever you choose will work in the long run! :)

Back to the top
I use 280mm front discs from a G60 on the front with Ferrodo DS3000 pads and standard rear drums on my track car, with no problems at all :) As stated the Mk1 is very light, it doesn't need massive brakes.

2 1983 Campains (concours & track)
1985 Blue GTi Ragtop
2001 Bora Estate TDi SE (very very rare)
2000 Golf TDI commuter
2005 T5 Transporter with 394000 miles on it!

Back to the top
256 mm from vauxhalls with fredoo pads and brembo grooved discs

fine for me thats with about 160hp

g40'd ratter

<div><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://w139.photobucket.com/pbwidget.swf?pbwurl=http://w139.photobucket.com/albums/q312/Forgeman/75e604af.pbw" height="120"

Back to the top
hi,

could anyone tell me whether putting on both teh 16v servo and 22mm matercylinder would be a straight swap with the stock components, or is there some other tweking that has to be done too?

much appreciated,

simone

Back to the top
Simone,

Its not a straight swap there's a little tweaking needed see here:

http://www.vwgolfmk1.o…ontent&pa=showpage&pid=40

James

1987 Golf Mk1 GTI 1.8 Cabrio
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.