Skip navigation

Better handling??

Back to the top

Better handling??

watch out for loose spanners thats what sunk the titanic. well that and a mahooooosive hole in the hull. :mrgreen:

Back to the top
I had a Mk2 driver which I did slip in a few wee choice mod's suspension and handling being up there….the car handled like a dream on 15's until that fateful day…………police said it must of been a patch of ice or something cos even they had struggled on the corner previously that evening For a 5dr it was a cracking car and I loved the handling.

A mate of mine had a 3dr gti on 17's and it felt worse than on tracks………………The car just refused to corner!!!!

When I picked up my cabby I was driving it at speeds down some very windy roads…….it handles like a go-kart and thats just on 15's and springs

wish I could make up my mind what handles better

Back to the top
well in my mk1 i look at my speedo and i think im going faster than i am.

In my mk2 i always felt i could go faster.

And thats having them both about tbh.

Mk1s are easier to straighten up if sliding out etc…

Well they seem it anywa compared to my mk2.

I loved both.

Mine was a 5 dr 1.6 driver too, lowerd suspension.

Mk1 had lowerd suspension and 1.3

Is getting coilovers asap.

:):):):):)

Back to the top
mk1
easy

Simon R - YouTube

MGH 178Y - 16v - Gone :(

KHJ 888Y - Gone

Back to the top

novocaine said

cant compare the mk4 to the mk1 completly different car.
so are mk2's and corrado's but that's not stopping anyone

Back to the top
:roll:  I thought the original question was "mk1 or mk2" better handling???????

and as a Corrado is esentialy a mk2 golf anyway the comparison was made….by me :D  which also included the Rallye golf and syncro models, all of which DO out handle mk1 golfs :D

92 Sportline in Flash Red, Standard **SOLD**

91 G60 Corrado in Aqua Blue pearl

91 Rallye Golf, Tornado Red, AMD tuned to 220bhp 227 flb torque 9j x16 Borbet B alloys

1985 B Alpine white mk2 Golf Gti

Back to the top
Corrado has lower C of G (due to its bodyshape) and Mk3 Golf rear end, so I think its a little too far removed from the Mk2 Golf to offer a direct substitution. Having said that, there's no harm in bringing it up and widening the comparisons! I have never driven a Corrado, only heard what others say, but VW kinda knew what they were doing with FWD sporty handling and produced a really good car there (so I've heard).

How about I go off on another fork: Mk1 Scirocco vs Mk1 Golf? he he

Back to the top
in standard guise, we are not going to be able to agree, so how about modified? what wins the vw cup year in year out? mk1 mk2 corrado?

Back to the top
Obvioulsy there is a difference between handling and grip which often gets confused. My standard mk1 1.1 C out-handles my standard 1.8 mk2 Driver, but the mk2 out-grips the mk1. The mk1's steering is much more responsive/provides more feed back whilst the mk2 is heavy and barge like, but through a combination of weight and wider/lower profile tyres sticks very well round corners albeit with a bit of lardy body roll and gracelessness :lol:

In my experince of the two, the mk1 is much more a drivers car even in non-GTI form. The mk2 still does the job but without as much excitement/interactation (although not driven a mk2 GTI). Suppose it's to do with VW trying to make things more comfortable/civilised.

Cheers

1981 1600 GTI (coming to a road near you soon…)

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
The Mk1 handling is precise and razor sharp.  You can place a Mk1, you can make them dance!  On the limit they are precise and unfergiving.  For someone who can really drive, the Mk1 is the "best".

The Mk2 handling is less precise but you certainly couldn't call them wooly by any stretch of the imagination.  They are very very predictable and they communicate what they are doing in a very nice way.  Approaching the limit, they'll let you know a long time before they'll bite you.  For someone who wants a fun car without having to think too hard, the Mk2 is the "best"

Im summary, in my opinion the Mk1 is the better handling car but you need to be fully awake and alert to drive one on the limit…

Back to the top

Steve_Matthews said

The Mk1 handling is precise and razor sharp.  You can place a Mk1, you can make them dance!  On the limit they are precise and unfergiving.  For someone who can really drive, the Mk1 is the "best".

The Mk2 handling is less precise but you certainly couldn't call them wooly by any stretch of the imagination.  They are very very predictable and they communicate what they are doing in a very nice way.  Approaching the limit, they'll let you know a long time before they'll bite you.  For someone who wants a fun car without having to think too hard, the Mk2 is the "best"

Im summary, in my opinion the Mk1 is the better handling car but you need to be fully awake and alert to drive one on the limit…

amazing for once i agree with you. :lol:

or to be a bit more polite and less jokey "seconded"

Back to the top
Tbf thats a good explination, the mk2 handbreaks shockingly too.

Its like whiping a lorry…

Back to the top

paul_c said

Corrado has lower C of G (due to its bodyshape) and Mk3 Golf rear end, so I think its a little too far removed from the Mk2 Golf to offer a direct substitution. Having said that, there's no harm in bringing it up and widening the comparisons! I have never driven a Corrado, only heard what others say, but VW kinda knew what they were doing with FWD sporty handling and produced a really good car there (so I've heard).

How about I go off on another fork: Mk1 Scirocco vs Mk1 Golf? he he

Its a passat rear end :D rest of the chassis and drive train is mk2

I dont agree with the mk1 being the "best" handling car for someone who can actually drive :roll:

In fact most VW`s flatter people of any driving ability, and are very forgiving cars which are more capable to surpass most peoples driving ability!.

Having owned a variety of mk1`s mk2`s and mk3 and a Corrado, i still say the Corrado is the best "out of the box" i have driven, the mk1 is better than the mk2 and mk3 purely by its body weight and balance which gives it a preciseness the mk2 lacked a little unless you had one of the syncro versions

The Jetta or Vento has not been mentioned by anyone yet either? they are very under estimated cars and handle as well or better than a lot of the hatches due to the balance of the body, a 16v mk2 Jetta is a proper sport saloon car make no mistake :D

92 Sportline in Flash Red, Standard **SOLD**

91 G60 Corrado in Aqua Blue pearl

91 Rallye Golf, Tornado Red, AMD tuned to 220bhp 227 flb torque 9j x16 Borbet B alloys

1985 B Alpine white mk2 Golf Gti

Back to the top

Topoftherange said

The Jetta or Vento has not been mentioned by anyone yet either?
not strictly true. the vento vr6's have been extremely successful in the vw cup. that's after banning mk1's though.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.