Skip navigation

Better handling??

Back to the top

Better handling??

Topoftherange said

maybe the VR rado has a bit less poise than the 4 cylinder ones due to front end weight? the G60 certainly has different characteristics to any of the other dubs i have owned including my Rallye!

but then you just held onto the steering wheel as opposed to drove that :D it was totally mental especially on the H&R coilovers, it spat flames in nearly every gear and could light the wheels up in third gear when accelerating hard 8O

What's that mate? a mk2 rallye?

'83 1.5 Gx (picture coming soon)

Back to the top
Yup the 4wd supercharged left hand drive one! had it 5 years, was an awesome car 8)

92 Sportline in Flash Red, Standard **SOLD**

91 G60 Corrado in Aqua Blue pearl

91 Rallye Golf, Tornado Red, AMD tuned to 220bhp 227 flb torque 9j x16 Borbet B alloys

1985 B Alpine white mk2 Golf Gti

Back to the top
whats the difference between a rallye and a synchro?

Back to the top
ralley had square headlights wider arches and stiffened suspension.

i think thats right. totr you owned one is that right?

Back to the top
the syncro system is the same on all the 4wd cars of the period, but the Rallye does have a few differences as it has a different Gear box and many other parts too!,

all 5000 Rallyes were built by hand at VW`s motorsport plant in Brussels Belgium, the body shell is a USA spec mk2 and the wider wings and arches and wider rear panel are metal, the bumpers are unique to the car aswell! the boot is only 1/2 the depth of a normal mk2 to allow room for the rear diff and drive shafts, and the centre tunnel is raised to allow clearance for the prop shaft to sit up out the way underneath.

they are awesome cars if you ever get to own one, do!! I think mine lives in Leicester now? tornado red G64 FBL if you ever see it 8)

91 Rallye Golf, Tornado Red, AMD tuned to 220bhp 227 flb torque 9j x16 Borbet B alloys

Back to the top
Mk2 Golf Synchro had 1.8 carb engine?
Mk2 Golf Rallye had 1.8 G60 supercharged engine (1H code?????) (+ other stuff as above)

v unsure of this….

Back to the top
im swear thers a g60 syncro for sale on ed38 unless he dropped tht in himself

Back to the top
"it was totally mental especially on the H&R coilovers, it spat flames in nearly every gear and could light the wheels up in third gear when accelerating hard"

I do want one, sounds great.

:wink:

Back to the top

paul_c said

Mk2 Golf Synchro had 1.8 carb engine?
Mk2 Golf Rallye had 1.8 G60 supercharged engine (1H code?????) (+ other stuff as above)

v unsure of this….

there were a few variations, all based on the same Torson differential 4wd system

Rallye is a 1H coded engine

Indeed they did do a G60 SYNCRO Gti (which is the one for sale on ebay in kent near me :wink:  if only i had room :D ) a "sleeper" version of a Rallye if you like, and very simmilar to the G60 limited but not 16v and still had big bumpers on it

the standard mk2 syncro was a 1.8 carb engine from my best recolection

and then of course you had the Golf Country, an almost 4x4 dimmensioned mk2 golf that looked like it was on stilts! think VW only sold a few hundred of these though :roll:

Back to the top
think i'm going to have to disagree with the majority.

having owned 5 mk1's in various forms. and 4 mk2's in various forms, all of which were gti's. i'd have to say the mk2 handles better. yes its heavier. yes its got more creature comforts but it also has a slightly more advanced design. and i feel a mk2 is a little more controled at higher speeds
 The lower subframe on a mk2 was so much better than the mk1's floating front wishbone set up. and gave more positive turn in.

its tricky because theres few standard mk1's left to try, and those that are, are so old there unlikely to handle as they did when new.

lets not forget the mk1 was designed as a small hatch. the GTi was an afterthought. they didnt need to handle well when  they were being designed. by the time the mk2 was being designed there was competition from other manufacturers and the GTi  had to be a belter!

also. theres no way a mk1 in standard form will out handle a corrado. corrados are considered one of the best handling FWD cars of all time, even outside the dub circles. allthough disapointing in alot of ways, the corrado far outshines the mk1 in its handling.

Back to the top
I think what you say is very accurate even if we dont like it.

Back to the top
my mk2 seems to handle better at higher speeds than my mk1 does.

Could jsut be due to it being a new car…

Back to the top

rufusgti said

having owned 5 mk1's in various forms. and 4 mk2's in various forms, all of which were gti's. i'd have to say the mk2 handles better. yes its heavier. yes its got more creature comforts but it also has a slightly more advanced design. and i feel a mk2 is a little more controled at higher speeds
 The lower subframe on a mk2 was so much better than the mk1's floating front wishbone set up. and gave more positive turn in.

its tricky because theres few standard mk1's left to try, and those that are, are so old there unlikely to handle as they did when new.

lets not forget the mk1 was designed as a small hatch. the GTi was an afterthought. they didnt need to handle well when  they were being designed. by the time the mk2 was being designed there was competition from other manufacturers and the GTi  had to be a belter!

also. theres no way a mk1 in standard form will out handle a corrado. corrados are considered one of the best handling FWD cars of all time, even outside the dub circles. allthough disapointing in alot of ways, the corrado far outshines the mk1 in its handling.

prepare to be shouted at haha

Back to the top

alexHxC said

rufusgti said

prepare to be shouted at haha

I'd be okay to accept rufusgti's views, since he's owned both Mk1 and Mk2. I've not driven a Mk2 or a Corrado properly so I'd just be hypothesising, as I suspect others might be too. I've heard it said before about the Mk2 handling by others who have driven both too.

Back to the top
im fine with his view on the matter but im guessin a fair few on here may not be

Back to the top
driven them both pushed hard in both of them. i still like the mk1's handling. each to there own though hey.

Back to the top
i've drove a mk2 driver and a mk1 1.1

I know neither are the most extreme examples but I prefer the mk1, mine stook to the road like I don't know what

By the way my mum's old mk4 gt tdi was on rails

Back to the top
mk4 is amazing on the road but thought this was about mk1 v mk2 ?

cant compare the mk4 to the mk1 completly different car.

Back to the top

novocaine said

driven them both pushed hard in both of them. i still like the mk1's handling. each to there own though hey.

interesting point. i'm not going back on what ive said. i do believe the mk2 to be a better handling car. But, i drive a mk1, and the reason i allways come back to a mk1 is not so much the handling, but the way they drive.
 to put it differently.

the mk2 has a more advanced chassis, it handles better. but i too prefer the way a mk1 is thrown round a corner, the way the chassis can only just keep up with the what your asking of it. you feel like your driving something a bit naughty, a bit harsh.

i suppose handling is pretty subjective. could mean different things to different people??

Back to the top

novocaine said

mk4 is amazing on the road but thought this was about mk1 v mk2 ?

cant compare the mk4 to the mk1 completly different car.

well yeah I did say by the way. Was just throwing a spanner in the works as they say  :lol:

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.