Skip navigation

Retro Car Show, SantaPod 5th July 2008

Back to the top

Retro Car Show, SantaPod 5th July 2008

paul_c said

Lawsy said

paul_c said

My ticket's not arrived in the post today, and I'll be leaving straight from work tomorrow, staying in a local B&B overnight Friday. So I guess I will have to bluff my way onto the stand, without the pass……oh well…..

thought you said you were going in the rocco??

I did….I have 2 cars….

you got a car transporter then.. lol

Back to the top

Lawsy said

paul_c said

Lawsy said

paul_c said

My ticket's not arrived in the post today, and I'll be leaving straight from work tomorrow, staying in a local B&B overnight Friday. So I guess I will have to bluff my way onto the stand, without the pass……oh well…..

thought you said you were going in the rocco??

I did….I have 2 cars….

you got a car transporter then.. lol

Nope

Back to the top

Lawsy said

OOhh noooo..

Just realised, its the F1 this weekend at silverstone..

That means there will be loads n loads n loads of traffic on A43..
Great, back to route planning then

Might be worth making a note everyone thinking of coming that way

thats part of the reason im not going

83 BBS MK1 GTI 69 T2 PANEL VAN i am back let the trouble begin :)

Back to the top

bbsmk1 said

Lawsy said

OOhh noooo..

I can't believe people are using the Grand Prix as a reason for not going!!! The Retro show is on Saturday and the main day of the GP is on Sunday. If you're travelling for this, then it will be sufficiently early to avoid problems anyway. Also, they're sufficiently far apart, and the other side of the M1, that local congestion won't be an issue. The M1 might be a little busier than average but not significantly. Other events go on around the country all the time, they don't cause massive issues on the road network. Sometimes I think people just want to complain about something!

Back to the top

paul_c said

bbsmk1 said

Lawsy said

OOhh noooo..

I can't believe people are using the Grand Prix as a reason for not going!!! The Retro show is on Saturday and the main day of the GP is on Sunday. If you're travelling for this, then it will be sufficiently early to avoid problems anyway. Also, they're sufficiently far apart, and the other side of the M1, that local congestion won't be an issue. The M1 might be a little busier than average but not significantly. Other events go on around the country all the time, they don't cause massive issues on the road network. Sometimes I think people just want to complain about something!

not if you live where me and Rob do, without adding a bid detour, the only way to get across from Oxford is M40 A43 PAST SILVERSTONE to M1 etc (and by big detour i more mean time than distance)

I'm going to look at alternative routes and still be there, but doubt I'll be as early saturday as i hoped

Back to the top
Arrive before anything much happens, leave while the GP is still on - should be ok?

Back to the top
can you still save me a space for sun's gti? even though i cant make sat

Back to the top

kellay said

can you still save me a space for sun's gti? even though i cant make sat

yes of course…. the amount of peeps not able to come means loads of space!  :(

Paul_c - if you see this call us/find us as we have spare passes! As if we would not get anyone on the stand!!

:D

Looking forward to it…. see you all soon.

Claire

1979 mk1 Golf Gti (Dan)
1983 mk1 Golf gti G60 (little-un)

1991 mk2 Golf Country Chrome Edition
2010 T5 Karmann Colorado

2012 mk6 Golf Tdi convertible
2019 Skoda Octavia Sport ( it’s Golf)

Back to the top
paul its not an excuse i really wanted to go to this one but qualyfying is sold out and if you know what the traffic is like round here on gp days you dont even bother going near the m40

83 BBS MK1 GTI 69 T2 PANEL VAN i am back let the trouble begin :)

Back to the top

paul_c said

Arrive before anything much happens, leave while the GP is still on - should be ok?

Not Ok at all..

the A43 gets closed to all traffic other than GP traffic. so the thousands of people using taht road, use teh back roads, its a nightmare

Back to the top

bbsmk1 said

paul its not an excuse i really wanted to go to this one but qualyfying is sold out and if you know what the traffic is like round here on gp days you dont even bother going near the m40

I'm braving it….

Back to the top
Got my vehicle pass today, well looking forward to some retro action. Weather ain't lookin too good though. But nothings gonna stop me going to this missed it last year and was well gutted. As long as i leave early and take my umbrella all will be sweet. :lol:

Back to the top
I'llbe on my way in the morning

Got route plan sorted now, so if anyone see's me on way, join in convoy or beep your horn as you fly pass..

I'll be in this

Back to the top
Thats amazin, feelin it

Back to the top
It was a good day, early morning had a few showers which meant the track wasnt open till about 10.30, giving us a chance to set up camp.

The show consisted of a good mixture of all types of cars, original and modified. It was also nice to see something different other than the normal VW scene.

Now that Retro mag has been relaunched the shpow prommises to be bigger and better next year, with the possibilities of the club having a feature.

Paul_C and me decided to hit the track with mixed results.  :banghead:

Thanks to those who attended, it was a good evening of entertainment including Mrs Lawsy's flaps !!

This will be on the calender for next year, with a better turn out and the corrcet gate prices.

Thanks again

Ant & Claire + Bump

1979 mk1 Golf Gti (Dan)

2010 T5 Karmann Colorado

Back to the top
I have now been able to finally arrive home and the 8+ hour return journey has allowed me to philosophically look back at it all. My GF was due to bring the Scirocco but the car ran out of electricity and never made it out of our neighbourhood.

The little black car I brought, did not too bad on the strip. I was expecting to better my previous PB of 14.15 but in the end only did 2 runs, on the 2nd run a small but nevertheless important part of the diff decided to make a bid for freedom, luckily I didn't mess up the track but I did drop all the gearbox oil and lose drive near the club stand. Cheers for the tow back to the camping area. Cheers NOT to the AA, who were very vague on the phone and didn't feel like taking me home either, resulting in my car still at Santa Pod and me enduring the train ride home. Its quite an interesting route home on the trains. If you're interested in trains. But I'm not, so it wasn't.

Ironically the train broke down on the way home too.

Anyway, back to the show - my first run achieved 14.42 and this was backed up with a diff-breaking 14.47. Had the car held together I'd have done loads more runs, and probably gotten it down, maybe even beat my PB, or get into the 13s? I'll never know. In any case, my time was enough to WIN the class A (under 2 litre non-turbo/super/nitrous) and I picked up a nice little trophy, which has made it all worthwhile. After all, if you're going to enter into something competitive, or aim to be good at something, achieving 1st and a prize must be the aim?!?

As mentioned, not too many cars on the Retro stand which was a bit of a disappointment, especially when you consider that the weather was better on the Saturday. Attendance was down on both days from a regular show anyhow, so I guess everyone looked at the weather forecasts and were put off. It turned out okay on Sat though.

Many thanks to all those who provided excellent hospitality and went out their way to help me out too, it was once again good to catch up with people and let my hair down a bit.

Back to the top
oh dear paul would that be the box you recently fitted :dontknow:

bet your a bit gutted tbh shame it didnt last the day

so vw action write a little note to ones self must bring merc and trailor and spare box :lol:  :lol:

Back to the top

bens_cab said

oh dear paul would that be the box you recently fitted :dontknow:

bet your a bit gutted tbh shame it didnt last the day

so vw action write a little note to ones self must bring merc and trailor and spare box :lol:  :lol:

Yeah I think next time it will be back onto the trailer, etc. Makes more sense, tho its more costly. So I might be resting from shows for a little while.

Back to the top
how you going to get the car back then?

leave it there until vw action and we can have a group gearbox fit  :lol:  :lol:

Back to the top
I believe it is Dubboy to the rescue!!

1979 mk1 Golf Gti (Dan)

2010 T5 Karmann Colorado

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.