Skip navigation

Bodyshop job

Back to the top

Bodyshop job

bring it to my place mate, we'd do u a full resto for 3-4 grand and wud win a show easily, we are in essex tho.

that price is just ridiculous, nothing can cost that much surely, i'd want it gold plated for that price!!!! 8O

Back to the top
Well im in the north-east so thats quite a trip although id probably still save money!.  Do you have many photographic restos to hand that i could have a look at?

Back to the top
not atm, but we are currently doing a full resto on a series1 daimler, so i'll get sum pics up in another thread wen i go back to work. here's sum pics if other cars we've done

we do hav a regular customer that comes from newcastle to use us, he wont use anyone else because theyre not as good

Back to the top
Motor Body Cosmetics in York, highl recommended. I don't know if they do welding etc but they do great work, 2.5k all in for a full respray on my Mk1, they do all the prep and stripping down etc, and I provide the top coat of paint.

They painted a certain peppermint Mk2 :

And a vento

Back to the top
Ooh yes and mine :)

Back to the top
What colour is that Dom?

'83 1.5 Gx (picture coming soon)

Back to the top

Expensive Respray

I would like to say a few things. You obviously love your car but I think it is way too much money. Some people have told me that I am nuts for spending  four hundred getting my '82 GL through an MOT. For that I saw the whole car stripped completly of seats and carpets and saw the new parts of the floor that were put in. That would be a good way for you to find out whether anything actually needs doing under your sealant. I will know at the next MOT this June how worthwhile that expense was. You could probably get an almost new South African or Mexican MK1 import for the amount you are thinking of spending. There is a mobile welder somewhere on this site, you could pay his board and lodging for a week while he came up and practically rebuilt your body. I don't know where but I have been told that you can buy a new shell for ?500. I love my car also, but would rather have it look like a shed and use a fraction of the money that you are talking about, just  to just repair it as needed to get it through the MOT and then you could afford to do it for quite a few years. Maybe you could even learn to weld and not have to rely on someone who may rip you off. At the end of the day a car is a machine that takes us from A to B. The Mk1 just happens to be a unique and addictive machine, and a big part of its atraction to me is that it doesn't need to look perfect to be fun or do its job. In fact because it is an old car I prefer it to look like an old car. I think it adds to the charm and pushes the point home that it has actually survived for so long.

Solid Gold Easy Action

Back to the top

MK1_Arron said

What colour is that Dom?

Pearlescent

Back to the top
9k…… 8O  If you did have it done imagine how annoyed you would be if you had a stone chip OOOOoooooo or a bird crapped on it defistated!!

but like the fella who started this thread has said he is now doing all the prep himself so this guy who is spraying chances are you are gonna get a sweet paint jod in the end, at a fraction of the cost. Can't wait to see final car I say!

What colour are you going for??

Back to the top

ChrisRivage said

but like the fella who started this thread has said he is now doing all the prep himself so this guy who is spraying chances are you are gonna get a sweet paint jod in the end, at a fraction of the cost. Can't wait to see final car I say!

What colour are you going for??

Finally somebody seeing the point. As stated already the price has been recalculated minus the strip down, as the original quote was to cover all eventualities in a hypothetical "worst case scenario".

I think if I were in this position I'd much rather fork out a bit more money for a price that I knew was going to stick, rather than getting a bill at the end of the job that had an unexpected extra zero cos the guy had to patch up half the bleeding car.

It's his car, it's his money. If he's confident in the guy's abilities and thinks he'll do a brilliant job, and he's happy with the price, nothing more needs to be said…

[/rant]

:mrgreen:

Back to the top
Enough of the ranting, any progress, any pics? That i can browse though while i should really be the garage working on me mk1  :wink:

Back to the top

john1 said

Browse and Apply to numerous After Sales jobs at http://www.octopusmtr.co.uk, the motor trade recruitment website of
Octopus MTR.

That's the second time you've posted that in this thread, what gives? :dontknow:

Back to the top

Smart the thing!

Ok heres a random idea in terms of saving money. I work in a bodyshop,very fussy porsche dealer in leeds. NOW…my boss is never ever gonna let me paint my car in there…so i have a cunning plan.

Compressor ?60
devilbliss sri 0.8 spray gun ?180 new (prob ?80/90 is on ebay) (you will need 2)
Paint 1lrt (i shal steal mine) ?30/?80.
2k lacquer and hardner
primer filler.
gunwash
thinners
tack rags
D/A sander
80 grit paper
prep n blend
scotch brite
annnd a big massiv roll of tissue paper (not for when you see the end result).

If you have a gagage and somewhere to keep the car dry and undercover…you will prob save 5k. That lot will cost you prob ?800 get on amazon and get some hints for painting.

(just an idea…iv done it…its a whole lot cheaper and dint get me sacked)
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.