Skip navigation

A mk1 meet for cancer research and a very good friend

Back to the top

A mk1 meet for cancer research and a very good friend

As some will know, my friend of some years is terminally ill with a cancerous brain tumour.
He loves his golfs and more so the mk1's.
Recently his family have taken him to blackpool for days out, but his sister has asked me if i could organise a mk1 golf cruise for dave where he can relax and enjoy a drive and a chat and look at the golfs, has i have not been able to see him for 2 week due to doing my car and he loves going for a drive in my mk1, he also has a mk2 himself, which he no longer can drive.
He will be with me in mine and his family will be following.
I just want something good for him to enjoy, something not too far away from manchester, a crusie to blackpool for example on a weekend day.
I would like also if someone could organise after next week for it to happen and as many mk1's to join up.
Plus raise money for cancer research, i have never done this before and would for guidance and help from the experienced members.
Best wishes
pete  :wink:

Back to the top
i will quite happily attend and make a donation.  

8)

hello!

Back to the top
This is very close to my heart as one of my twins was diagnosed with a cancerous brain tumor when he was 11 weeks old, so i`ll do my best to come along no problem at all..

Back to the top
Would love to join in but it depends when it would be. Got the show coming up and some other stuff going on.

If I can't make it I'll definitely make a donation though.

Once you've got a date you could get something like the local radio station on board to advertise it and maybe attend. Our local station has something called black thunder. A black jeepy thing that comes out and does a bit of a short broadcast live from the event. Ups the interest and hopefully the money coming in.

You could also try to get your local VW dealership on board as a sponsor.

Good luck.  :wink:

Back to the top
Thanks all,
               i am looking fo some people who have experience to get this up and running as  haven't a clue where to start and who to goto, just want a good day dave and money to a good cause.
Thanks again
Pete :wink:

Back to the top
How about getting your regional host to co-ordinate it for you as a meet/cruise??

Back to the top
Best of luck, My best friend has just been diagnosed with a cancerous brain tumor, My heart go's out to his family at this sad time.

Best of luck again.

GTI Campaign Helios Blue, Going back Standard
GTI Campaign Schwartz Black shouldn't have sold
GTI Mk7 Performance pack Daily drive
Polo 1.4sel Sunset Orange The Wife's
Triumph Tiger

Back to the top
Hi I might be able to help as i have helped to organise a meet for west yorks and the big meet the other weekend at Buxton you need to put a post on the regional meets section etc what dates have you in mind?
If i was you i might try to avoid the Easter weekends as some folk might be going away like me.
if i can attend i will defiantly be there no doubt Blackpool cruise sound very appealing as we have a few guys up that neck of the woods.

i think the first step is find a date and stick with it the main problems you will have is that someone will always say i"I can make it then I've got Football etc" you have to be firm to the dates place and time once you have decided if you don't it will become very messy and if someone cant make it thats the way it goes, you will not be able to please everyone.
but I'm sure for this cause everyone will pull out the stops for you and your mate.

Dont ask what your club can do for you, but what can you do for your club?

Back to the top
Saturday 29th march is the date i have set
Pete

Back to the top
I am getting in touch with cancer research tomorrow because all funds raised on the day of the event will be donated to them.
Also could someone design a flyer for this event so it can be displayed on both buckets and car windows and uploaded to teh site in order for members to print them out.
It would be of much great help and appreciated if members who can attend on the day bring their own bucket in order to collect funds.
I would like all members to drive from the north shore to the south shore and visa versa collecting.
If someone could arrange a meetup point in blackpool before the event as i am not very good on the area.
A time of 14.30hrs is the time to attend at the meeting point to be arrange shortly.
Also if conveys can be arranged so we can travel down as one
i am also advertising this on other websites, so to try and raise as much as possible, i have contacted mk2 golf owners also.
Thanks so much
Pete

Back to the top
right i shall look at making up flyers this week if i can.

anyone on here a sign writer who can do a banner for the day?

i'm up for it. a venue will need to be found in blackpool that can accomedate 10+ vehicles (not worth it with any less) and be on the front somewhere to get people passing.
either that or talk to somewhere like tatton park or even c and f again.

as for collection buckets a quick trip to b&q for maybe 5 buckets and a peice of wood to make the top up for it.

first step get intouch with cancer research to get there approval so you can use there symbol.

Back to the top

novocaine said

right i shall look at making up flyers this week if i can.

anyone on here a sign writer who can do a banner for the day?

i'm up for it. a venue will need to be found in blackpool that can accomedate 10+ vehicles (not worth it with any less) and be on the front somewhere to get people passing.
either that or talk to somewhere like tatton park or even c and f again.

as for collection buckets a quick trip to b&q for maybe 5 buckets and a peice of wood to make the top up for it.

first step get intouch with cancer research to get there approval so you can use there symbol.

10+, i am hoping 100+ lol, i will bring 5 buckets myself, so if anyone can not get one, i will pass you one.
I will be contacting cancer research 1st thing in the morning, also i have been told by tony from mk2 club that i should also be contacting blackpool tourist board to inform them of what will be happening on the specified date.
If you can sort flyers, that will be very much appreciated
Also members that can come can you please put down your usernames so i can inform blackpool tourist board if alot of cars are to attend
Pete   :wink:

Back to the top
Now posted on other golf forum, collections are only allocated to members of this forum to save any confusion

Back to the top
also would it be a good idea to contact a radio station?

Back to the top
I've done a few collections and stuff while at uni and as far as collecting on the street goes you need permits from the local council. The collection buckets need to be clearly marked with the charity name and possibly registered charity number. The buckets need to be closed and have security seals (stickers) so that money can go in but not come out.

I know you're just wanting to go out and collect and it means a lot to you but I'm sure it's all preferable to going out and being told not to collect because you haven't jumped through the council's many hoops.

I haven't looked into it but there may be some form of liaison at Cancer Research UK who can tell you what you need to do or possibly help out? just a thought.

Hope that helps. Dave.

Yradave says relax.

Back to the top
Cheers dave, i want it done the correct way and follow the correct procedures, this i will try and sort tomorrow, like i say this is my 1st time of doing this and thus asking for experienced help from members of whom have done this in the past

Back to the top
Found these guides from RAG, they seem pretty good especially the how-to stuff.

http://www.ukrag.org.uk/guides/index.php/Main_Page

Yradave says relax.

Back to the top
looking good so far Pete
You now need to find a good place to meet you need somewhere everyone can find, somewhere with a big car park either on route or somewhere close to Blackpool.

Ive looked at this and really you would need somewhere either just of the M55 jnc 2 or at the end of the M55.
If it was me i would suggest the end of the M55 it turns into a raised road called Yeadon way if you stay on this it will take you to Bloomfield road football ground where there is a large car park opposite the football ground, don't worry I've checked the fixture list and Blackpool are playing away that day.

some areas may wish to meet up close to their homes and go up in mini convoys like we did for the Buxton meet.

just my idea of a place to meet, form this carpark its easy to get onto the front and up and down the prom.

Dont ask what your club can do for you, but what can you do for your club?

Back to the top
A5opy,
         Superb fella, car park opposite the football ground at 14.30hrs, i will post up full address for others of whom dont know the area well like myself and for sat nav.
Cheers bud
If members would like to arrange conveys for there areas as A5OPY suggested, will be better for all
Also if possible could a mod/s post this has a sticky in order for it to stay at top please, thank you

Pete :wink:  :mrgreen:

Back to the top
A5OPY,
           Which car park is you are thinking off bud, could you put an arrow on it for us so we dont go to wrong ones bud as there are a few nearby
Pete  :wink:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.