Skip navigation

aparently this is a campaign

Back to the top

aparently this is a campaign

Back to the top
whats the fuss all about over campaigns  :dontknow: , according to this bit from the thread about campaigns

The Campaign is relatively rare, with not many more than 1000 real ones existing in the UK

and the latest from Paul C's findings,

paul_c said

I've now had a correction for the figures:

VOLKSWAGEN GOLF (HATCHBACK) 1974-1984            9517

VOLKSWAGEN GOLF CONVERTIBLE 1979-1993           9309

Please note these figures are based on years, not chassis numbers, so they'll contain a few Mk2s and Mk3 convertibles

Thes that means there is 1 campaign in every 9 MK1 tintops is a campaign, which to me isnt very rare at all

so why are they rare or are these figures innacurate???

Back to the top
im liking the way wooders car is being advertised here without him being a member??????????????????????????????????

as for the campaign bit i do believe it is  :wink:

Back to the top
Campaign is nothing more than "special sales campaign" which is available as an option on UK GTIs from chassis number DW448319. VW also did around 14 other "special sales campaign" variations, for example Golf LX, Jetta TX, Scirocco GTX, Golf GX, etc etc. Apparently VAG UK did a bit of shuffling around of cars to ensure the last of the GTIs were all Campaigns.

Back to the top
so basically vw just said
'right- we are rolling out the last of the gtis now, there is a kit available for them and its going to be a special sales CAMPAIGN to flog em before the mk2'

am i right? is there actually any VW documentation relating to the campaign or is it something that the dealers made up?

Back to the top

vw_golf_nutter said

so basically vw just said
'right- we are rolling out the last of the gtis now, there is a kit available for them and its going to be a special sales CAMPAIGN to flog em before the mk2'

am i right? is there actually any VW documentation relating to the campaign or is it something that the dealers made up?

Go to the home page, then follow the links on the right hand side. There is VW documentation, attachments and screenshots are in the "Campaign Controversy" article. (There's also a bunch of other stuff on the site in the other areas apart from the forum).

Back to the top
ok so ive read the link that wooders gave me and have some questions…

copied and pasted from mk1 owners site info about how to tell a real campaign:

10. Campaign models should have a specific code in the Chassis (VIN) number. This should read WVW ZZZ 17EW nnnnnn. Where the 17 means a Mk1 Golf, the E is signifies an August 83 onwards manufacture date and the W implies the car was built in Wolfsburg Germany. Note that all mk1 Golfs produced after August 1983 will have an E in their chassis number, this includes the base models, and the runout 'GX' model too, so the chassis number is not unique to the campaign.

Please note that there are some valid exceptions to this final rule, and DW chassis cars are illegible for membership providing they exhibit most of the remaining campaign features and have a chassis number higher than 448319.

And i see from the sticker in this cars boot its chassis number is DW 465510 so that 'allows' it to be eligable for the register according to this site but does not recogneise it as one of the 1000 genuine campaigns.

Also….

A UK Campaign is defined by option codes S707 (Campaign package of equipment) and S750 (Pirelli alloy wheels). On well preserved cars, the option sticker will still be in place in the boot.

I can see the sticker (as pictured) but it doesnt appear to have S707 and S750 on the sticker.

Im just trying to make sense of this because i am also sick of having arguements about this and the evidence i have read so far will suggest this is not one of the 1000 original campaigns but one which was 'made up' to be a lookalike.

Back to the top
Have you photo-enhanced the picture of the options sticker? I've just looked at it and to be honest, the sticker is so faded and the picture is not clear, so I can't read the codes from it.

Back to the top
the sticker is very faded.
 a dw chassis may well have been manufactured pre aug 83 but it could have been sold/registered september 85! it's not unusual for a car to have been siting around for a year or two, before being sold.

Back to the top

wooders said

the sticker is very faded.
 a dw chassis may well have been manufactured pre aug 83 but it could have been sold/registered september 85! it's not unusual for a car to have been siting around for a year or two, before being sold.

Can you take a better picture ie not with your phone? Or read the codes off?

Back to the top
yeah i did have a go at enhancing it:

the numbers on the sticker run in assending order from left to right. some are too fuzze but the most important numbers S707 and S750 are not there on the bottom line.

it appears to read:

064? 184 185 430 491
560  568 571 931       

I may have some of these wrong (the photoshop version is clearer than the image above) but it almost 100% it doesnt read 707 and 750. would they be anywhere else?

could it not be a non UK campaign? therefore having different codes?

Back to the top
i can try to take a better pic, reading the print is very very difficult. for my old eyes, anyway.

Back to the top
one word

anorak :lol:  :lol:

Back to the top
i live for internet fights like this, wooders stick to your guns man, i believe you - for one who would try to blag it like that on ebay knowing full well one of us would find it.

Back to the top
Maybe wooders' failing eyes is playing tricks with him and the figures S707 are appearing, like a mirage, in front of him as he stares more and more at the elusive sticker?

So, it looks like a DW chassis code, Atlas grey (is this standard or resprayed?) non-Campaign GTI. Which in my opinion, is no worse than a Campaign anyhow.

What about all the other stuff? Leather steering wheel, sliding sunroof, tinted glass, flap on petrol cap, door pins, foglights, etc etc? Is it optioned like a Campaign, even if it isn't? Or maybe it has more/different options, which should affect its value/desirability too.

Back to the top

Skipback said

i live for internet fights like this, wooders stick to your guns man, i believe you - for one who would try to blag it like that on ebay knowing full well one of us would find it.

i didnt no it was his! i actually really do like the car but alot of people do try and say the car is something it isnt and get some uneducated person to buy it for more than its worth. im not personally slating wooders atall, im unfortunately just using this advert as a means of educating myself about what makes a campaign a campaign.

there is also a cabriolet on ebay thats white with unmatching seats, Y reg. The guy has advertised it as a COCO CHANNEL special edition. I did have to point out that CC does not stand for COCO CHANNEL and that the CC editions are only C reg and have a special interior, to which he replied. 'i know CC stands for Chistmas Cabriolet but as people refer to them as Coco Channel i thought i would list it as such, and i know they are supposed to be C reg but this one has a CC back bench so it is a CC lookalike!
Shame he wasnt as honest in his advert.

Back to the top
i stuck up for him even if he was making the most of being a non member and advertising his car

at the end of the day mk1s are getting few and far between so shouldnt effect the price to much :wink:

Back to the top
cant we all just get along?

Back to the top
I kinda like the car, however at this moment in time I need another Mk1 like a hole in the head!

Back to the top
here is one i took last year, which should be clearer to photoshop.
i don't care if it is a campiagn or not either. if some one can prove with out a doubt it's not, i'll edit the advert, quite happily. price will be the same either way.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.