Skip navigation

My Lhasa project

Back to the top

My Lhasa project

That's crazy, small world indeed.  He's a nice guy Simon, and handy with a paint gun.  I'll keep an eye out for you if i'm in your neck of the woods, when you're out of hibernation.

Novocaine; thanks a lot for the advice.  I'll get hold of the rubberised underseal.

:wink:

Back to the top

Gillie said

That's crazy, small world indeed.  He's a nice guy Simon, and handy with a paint gun.  I'll keep an eye out for you if i'm in your neck of the woods, when you're out of hibernation.

Novocaine; thanks a lot for the advice.  I'll get hold of the rubberised underseal.

cheers chappy!

1983 MK1 PIRELLI EDITION

Alpine White LHD ("SOLD")

Back to the top
any time felaa. got a big pot of it at home to do mine with :mrgreen:

Back to the top
Up-date on work.  Had the cam-belt changed and put on a painted black rocker cover, which was purchased on here.  So car was running and looking super slick, then catastrophe….

The clutch has gone through the bulk head.

:x

I've now got the replacement part so I'll try and get it fixed this week.  Mean while i'll see to my leaky seals.  Pics up soon.

Back to the top
:(  that sucks Gi, i've got a repair section if you need it

1983 Polo CL - daily

1984 Golf G60 Syncro - sold

1989 Rallye Golf - sold

1992 Corrado G60 - crushed

1989 Polo C - chopped and crushed

1991 309 Style - crushed

Back to the top
Thats really kind of you John, thanks but i've got one already from GSF.  Infact i've got two.  I'll get it on soon, should be back rollin' again.

Cheers

Back to the top
Ok while my golf is driveway bound, i took off the door cards gave them a clean, pulled off the old plastic underneath and replaced it with new, spraying some wax oil in the door cavities.

Back to the top
nice work

Back to the top
Wots the plastic for?

Back to the top
Thanks,

The plastic was there originally, i just replaced it as the old ones were all holey and knackered.  I assume it stops any possible moisture getting through the door fittings/windows and into the car from behind the door cards??  Thats just an educated guess.  Check behind your cards, it should be there.

Back to the top
I haven't got round to updating my progress for a couple of weeks.  But i've managed to get a bit done.  

Firstly i got the mechanics sorted out, as i said the clutch cable had gone through the bulkhead, so i ordered the repair section and my neighbour did a great job welding the new part in and then re-spraying it.  We then changed the cambelt, put a new rocker cover on,  (Cheers Saf) and gave her a general service.  I will stick up pictures of the bay once it has had a nice clean.  

It was time for MOT also, i cleaned up the wishbones beforehand as they were very crusty.

yuk!!

I'll look into replacing them soon, but once all the crud was off they looked a damn site better.

There we go..

Essential chin spoiler fitted to pass test..

Failed on a couple of bulbs, but that was an easy fix.  So all good now, 12 months ticket YEY!!

Back to my sealing mission.

I was looking for some of that rubberized underseal at the bodyshop and i stumbled across this stuff.  I think its not commonly used anymore because of better modern seals on cars, but it never sets, so does no damage to the paint and leaves not residue.

so lights out..

Dum, dum around the sides

Then i popped the lights back in with a bit of waxoyl in the screw holes.

So…….  One very water tight, mechanically strong, serviced and MOTed car with great bodywork and paint.  I'm feeling very happy with the progress.  Took her on an enjoyable spin in the sunshine down the A31 from guildford to winchester to celebrate.

I'll get the polish out soon for a proper photo shoot.

:)

Back to the top
looks great Gi :)

i've got a tin of that dum dum knocking about somewhere, never used it before, let us know if it keeps your lights sealed :y:

1983 Polo CL - daily

1984 Golf G60 Syncro - sold

1989 Rallye Golf - sold

1992 Corrado G60 - crushed

1989 Polo C - chopped and crushed

1991 309 Style - crushed

Back to the top
Thanks a lot John,

Dum dum is holding up well.  We've had a couple of rainy days and it seems really good.  i did use quite a bit though and then a little waxoyl round the edges to make double sure it was very water proof.

Back to the top
Got one of these:

(grommit for the acc. pedal) and replaced the bodged up bit of hose, the previous owner must have fitted to the throttle cable - pedal join.

I'm a bit sad too, as my chin spoiler only lasted a couple of drives before, i went over a "brick wall", i mean a sleeping policeman at the Brent cross shopping centre.  It's all cracked and broken now.  I wasn't going very fast at all, and my car isn't lowered but this monstrosity in the road was brutal.  

Anyone know of a smaller, more road hump friendly chin spoiler i can get my hands on.  I want it to look quite original if poss??

Back to the top
Speed bump in Brent Cross, that's my turf, where exactly was the offending article?

Tian :x

Back to the top
Not the dark side then?? :lol:

It used to be my turf-ish before i moved south.  I used to live on North end road.  The offending article was round the back of the shopping centre.  I was going to the apple shop and i parked in the outside car park near john lewis.  The road goes around the building and there are loads of pelican crossings raised on speed bumps, its one of them.  Really viscious.  

Dem iz mean streets out in B to the C.  Be warned

Back to the top
That looks great

Did you end up painting the front wings or did they match as they were?

was thinking of removing my arch trims, not so sure now

btw I have a CL spoiler on mine, not sure where you can get one from though

Back to the top
i got mine from gsf, about 15 quid delivered i think...

Back to the top
Hello mate,

Car is looking great! can't wait to see it again.

Must do a photoshoot with the Fiesta over the Summer  :D

Back to the top
Thanks Jools.  I did end up painting the wings in the end.  They were a little tired and needed a spray to keep it all consistent.  I just fancied having the arch trims off as i assume them filling them with water had caused all of the rust.  I like the look of them off anywho.  

I'll take your advice projectgolf, thanks a lot i'll get one ordered up.

You hunted me down Ted in the foreign Seas of mk1 world lol.  Nice to talk to you the other day, see you soon.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.