Skip navigation

Clipper or Gti

Back to the top

Clipper or Gti

Sorry everyone but can't find a standard tintop that don't need a load of work, so am  looking to get a (standard) cabby soonest but what are the significant differences between a '93 Clipper and Gti?

Back to the top
one has a carb and one has fuel injection!  :lol:

Back to the top

vw_golf_nutter said

one has a carb and one has fuel injection!  :lol:

Bit more subtle than that, the 93 Clip I'm looking at is injected. :?

Back to the top
ok if you can call that fuel injection it is a single point injection unit. gti's have multipoint injection and are MUCH better! lol

Back to the top
insurance premiums!!! tho if your old like me it wont matter! :D

Ever growing range of new mk1 golf parts www.classic-vw.co.uk

Back to the top

vw_golf_nutter said

ok if you can call that fuel injection it is a single point injection unit. gti's have multipoint injection and are MUCH better! lol
Ah! Now we're getting to it. :)

Back to the top
So what's the performance of the different units?

Back to the top
I'd personally always go for a GTI.  Gives you sports seats, sports suspension, better brakes and more power.  Up to you though.  I guess it depends what you want to car for.

Back to the top

Re: Clipper or Gti

Irv said

Sorry everyone but can't find a standard tintop that don't need a load of work, so am  looking to get a (standard) cabby soonest but what are the significant differences between a '93 Clipper and Gti?

ther both for girls?

keep lookin for a tin top dont be inpatient! put a car wanted ad up on the forum an wait

Back to the top
Different years had different specs, but my 87 Clipper although a carb engine has sports style seats, anti roll bars, vented disks and low ratio gearbox so pretty much the same spec as the GTI.

Looking at period magazine articles the GTI had alloys, MFA and an extra 22bhp but cost another ?2,500 8O  8O  which was about a quarter as much again 8O  8O  8O

In gear acceleration was quoted as being very similar.

All things being equal yes I'd have a GTI rather than a carb but I'd rather have a clean rust free carb Clipper than a 15 owner shed with a GTI badge.

The very last Cabrios had a variation of the MK2s Digipants fuel injection system with a catalyst (I think)

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
What about this for a tintop?

http://www.futureclassiccars.com/stocklist/index.php (Not sure if the link will work? If not, just look at their MK1 stock)

It looks pretty tidy and has been there for a month or so, so you could get a deal? :dontknow:

Cheers
Andy

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Looks good but would look better with a more discreet wheels. Desciption says SOLD though  :(

DubPartz

Back to the top

Early-1800 said

The very last Cabrios had a variation of the MK2s Digipants fuel injection system with a catalyst (I think)

mustve just missed that, my '92 clipper had the overcomplicated and troublesome pierburg carb.

i would recommend a GTI rivage/Sportline pay as much as you can, you'l just be hankering after one all the time if you dont

Mk1 '92 cab ABF  Jenveys & Emerald
2004 Mk1 Fabia VRS
2002 Audi A4 Avant 1.9tdi

Back to the top
Funny that, I'd rather have a shed of a GTI then a nice Clipper.  But then I guess it depends if you are a driver or a poser doesn't it.

Back to the top

Steve_Matthews said

But then I guess it depends if you are a driver or a poser doesn't it.

…so that avatar of yours then :roll:

Mk1 '92 cab ABF  Jenveys & Emerald
2004 Mk1 Fabia VRS
2002 Audi A4 Avant 1.9tdi

Back to the top
and cabrio=poser whether GTI or carb

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top

Re: Clipper or Gti

alexHxC said

ther both for girls?

OOH! Bit harsh, but I see where you're coming from.
So is the handling of the Gti cab significantly better than that of the 93 Clipper?
I'm returning to the fold after a 15 yr absence, I ran a bog standard Mk1 1600 Gti (LTX 51X) for many years and it was the most fun car I've ever owned, from turning the key the first time to when I had to sell (due difficulty with child seats) it was a riot!  I've now got room in the garage for a toy for me, is the Cabby going to dissappoint me?? :)

Back to the top
Always plenty of banter about the cabrio's :lol:

It shouldn't dissapoint you really, it depends on what you want out of your toy.  Cabby's are good cruisers, sunny day, top down etc.  Not always sunny tho, If you get one make sure the hood is watertight or budget for a new one.  Personally I would always go for an injected engine rather than a carb, nothing wrong with them, just preference.  In all honesty unless your going to run on the track and redline everywhere, there aint alot in it.  You can always bring the cars upto gti spec if you're not satified.

Go and view one, take it for a test drive and see how you like them, there are good buying guides on the homepage for checks etc.

Banner

Back to the top

quikclipper said

…so that avatar of yours then :roll:

that's not posing. he's not wearing raybands

Back to the top
i'm sorry but it has to be said. if you wanted a tin top, don't settle for a floppy. if you do, get a gti. i'd hold out and get a gti tin top. the difference between that and a carb floppy, is a big one.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.