project Adahlia - mk1 driver restoration

Back to the top

project Adahlia - mk1 driver restoration

mk1john said

mum has donated her camera for a while, so lots of pics to come soon

:cheer:

1983 Golf 1.3 Driver:  

Back to the top
didn't really get a lot done tonight, we always just seem to end up messing about all night  :roll:

got down and found a puddle in my rear footwell, despite doing the garage roof on saturday! :banghead:

here are some pics of inside the car, half the sound deadening/underseal removed from the floorpan. all solid, no rust.

had a go at removing the battery tray the other day,  (battery will be in the boot, makes for a tight fit with boost hoses)

started removing the seam sealer from where the battery tray was, and on the strut towers etc. keeping all the joins visible, not resealing, but not smoothing everything in, much prefer the defined lines. (will be sealing all up below the chassis legs as per factory, just want a clean look in the bay)

started off with a wire brush and a heat gun as my mate was using the grinder, wasn't getting very far, so i twoc'd the grinder and set to it with a big wire wheel.

then gave it a quick coat of primer to keep everything tidy (don't like leaving bare metal bare  :roll: )

all the holes visible here will be welded up (except bumper mounts), and all the raised spotwelds will be ground smooth.

going for a clean factory look, no excessive smoothing, keeping factory shape etc, just tidying it up.

check the ride height with no engine, compared to in my signature :lol: , i don't think it will catch on.

my mate Simon obviously thought the mk2 would look better with some purple highlights  :roll:

and here she is as we left tonight, shouldn't have a wet floor tomorrow!

the mk2 belongs to my mate Adam, who some of you will have met at meets

1983 Polo CL - daily

1984 Golf G60 Syncro - sold

1989 Rallye Golf - sold

1992 Corrado G60 - crushed

1989 Polo C - chopped and crushed

1991 309 Style - crushed

Back to the top
Some serious strippage going on.  Nice work, if i had a garage my car would never be in one piece.  Good luck with the resto, it'll look awesome.

:)

Back to the top
cheers Gillie, hopefully i'll get that side finished tonight, and clean the engine bay and do the other side. still need to finish the floor though :lol:

are you putting GTI arches back on?

1983 Polo CL - daily

1989 Rallye Golf - sold

1991 309 Style - crushed

Back to the top
Quick worker John?

Soon took the clothes off that have'nt ya!

Good luck with it.

'83 1.5 Gx (picture coming soon)

Back to the top
Think I might put the arch covers back on eventually.  Just enjoying the glory of rust free arches for the time being.  I bought some really nice refurbed compomotive splits a few months back, so i'll wait till i stick them on and see what looks best.  Need to sort out all seals and interior next though.  Take it easy,

Gi :wink:

Back to the top
Quick progress there john, have you sourced a 1H or PG engine and charger yet?

if not have a look on corrado forum, the PG engine from a corrado is easier to find than the rallye 1H :D

With a few add ons you will easily get 200 bhp, and in a mk1 thats gonna be phenominal :D

92 Sportline in Flash Red, Standard **SOLD**

91 G60 Corrado in Aqua Blue pearl

91 Rallye Golf, Tornado Red, AMD tuned to 220bhp 227 flb torque 9j x16 Borbet B alloys

1985 B Alpine white mk2 Golf Gti

Back to the top
aye arron, i was driving her last sunday!

cheers totr, not found an engine yet, need to save some money first :lol:

i think i'll be going for a PG, as you said, a lot easier to find. plus i'd feel guilty using a 1H, why oh why do people put vr6's/20vt's in rallyes  :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:

found soom rust tonight booooo

on the scuttle, under the windscreen seal. i'm sure rich'll be able to sort us out with another panel.

1983 Polo CL - daily

1989 Rallye Golf - sold

1991 309 Style - crushed

Back to the top

mk1john said

on the scuttle, under the windscreen seal. i'm sure rich'll be able to sort us out with another panel.

not uncommon… that's a point, im gonna take a pic of the edge of my scuttle panel for people to laugh at :roll:

1983 Golf 1.3 Driver:  

Back to the top
i think i got lucky with this car  :roll:  :lol:

to be fair though, how many cars of this age do you see on the road? it's not uncommon for a 24/25 year old car to have some rust, so i won't laugh, i promise…

:lol:

1983 Polo CL - daily

1989 Rallye Golf - sold

1991 309 Style - crushed

Back to the top
I also hate Stockport.

Stockport hates you! :P

Back to the top

Phataz1 said

I also hate Stockport.

we won't be going back, don't worry

1983 Polo CL - daily

1989 Rallye Golf - sold

1991 309 Style - crushed

Back to the top

mk1john said

Phataz1 said

I also hate Stockport.

we won't be going back, don't worry

I sincerely hope not, but never say never. :lol:

Yradave says relax.

Back to the top
john aint heard anything from you recently,hows the mk1 going?are you thinking "this is too big"?hope not cos you had a nice looking car.by the way what interest can i get on one of your employers  cash isa? :D im serious,6.5 is best at barclays at mo and times running out…

CAMPAIGN-HELIOS BLUE-POSSIBLY SEEN IT ON CHRIS BARRIES(RIMMER IN RED DWARF) MASSIVE SPEED PROGRAMME?!!!

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top
alright sean, progress is slow, no rush though. funds won't allow the car to be finished anytime soon (looking at next year, hopefully for edition 38).

i have no idea about our ISAs :lol:, i just deal with customer complaints!

1983 Polo CL - daily

1989 Rallye Golf - sold

1991 309 Style - crushed

Back to the top

mk1john said

alright sean, progress is slow, no rush though. funds won't allow the car to be finished anytime soon (looking at next year, hopefully for edition 38).

i have no idea about our ISAs :lol:, i just deal with customer complaints!

is that soul destroying?? i only know you from this site but im sure selling would be your forte,you express yourself really positively… :dontknow:

CAMPAIGN-HELIOS BLUE-POSSIBLY SEEN IT ON CHRIS BARRIES(RIMMER IN RED DWARF) MASSIVE SPEED PROGRAMME?!!!

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top
i become a wimp under pressure sean :lol:

had a moment of doubt on the finance front recently, my mate who i share the unit with has lost interest in his mk2, potentially leaving me to foot the whole bill.

i'm on the look out for another car at the moment, preferably a mk2 polo breadvan or 2 door saloon.

got an insurance quote for the 1043cc breadvan and it came up with ?675, over ?1300 less than the golf is currently costing me (need to get another car before i cancel the insurance so as not to lose my 9 months' no claims).

so if my mate pulls out, and i get the breadvan, i will be paying double the rent, but still ?50 a month better off than i currently am.

ideally i'd be paying half the rent and see the real benefit of the cheaper insurance, but if he does pull out i've got a decent sized garage to myself and i'm ?50 better off each month.

not sure what's going to happen, to be honest though i'd rather have the unit to myself, that way i can get a corrado and keep it in there, rob the engine and interior, then break the car for a profit, then sell the shell on.

not really much to update to be honest, need to save up some money for an engine/donor car!

then i can strip it down and rebuild it - 83mm forged pistons anyone? :D

hopefully the car will be going into the bodyshop around january/february for all the work doing, and then i'll get her back and start all the engine wiring once the engine is rebuilt - joy :roll:

she'll be getting front and rear panels, boot floor, spare wheel well, scuttle, roof skin, tailgate and bonnet  :roll: anal, i know, but i know exactly what i want from this car and i don't want any half arsed bodging!

4 weeks in and i'm really missing her already!

all be worth it in the end, maybe i'm taking a lot on for an 18 year old, not scared though. just can't wait to drive her again.

1983 Polo CL - daily

1989 Rallye Golf - sold

1991 309 Style - crushed

Back to the top

mk1john said

all be worth it in the end, maybe i'm taking a lot on for an 18 year old, not scared though. just can't wait to drive her again.

Are you doing all the work yourself then John ?

DubPartz

Back to the top
yeah, everything but the welding and painting, leaving that to the professionals.

1983 Polo CL - daily

1989 Rallye Golf - sold

1991 309 Style - crushed

Back to the top
I will Keep an eye out for a G60 rado for ya, trouble is all the G60`s seem to get broken up instead of whole cars :banghead:  someone on CF got a running useable valver for ?300 the other day 8O

92 Sportline in Flash Red, Standard **SOLD**

91 G60 Corrado in Aqua Blue pearl

91 Rallye Golf, Tornado Red, AMD tuned to 220bhp 227 flb torque 9j x16 Borbet B alloys

1985 B Alpine white mk2 Golf Gti
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.