Skip navigation

Limited Slip Differential

Back to the top

Limited Slip Differential

Having a quaife lsd fitted at the moment will let you all know how it is when im back on the road. Talking to the guy at Hardy Enginering whos doing the work he told me its one of the best mods to make traction wise.  Also said he would only fit the quaife as it is a proven make used alot in  motorsport.

Back to the top
Look forward to hearing your opinion of this.  Im looking at fitting a 16v g60 motor to my mk1 golf and will be going for some very large power hikes so will need all the help i can get with traction.

Back to the top
Will let you know when its all bolted back in the car. Cant wait need to get some summer use in !!!

Back to the top
A limited slip diff won't cure torque steer.  If anything it'll make it worse - have a look at the vid of top gear when they tested the Focus RS!

Back to the top
True it does make tourqe steer worse but when going round the bendy bits it makes a difference. With wider wheels and being lower it will also make tourqe steer worse. Roads in this country dont help either! if you dont want tourqe steer buy a metro!

Back to the top

stevo1 said

True it does make tourqe steer worse but when going round the bendy bits it makes a difference. With wider wheels and being lower it will also make tourqe steer worse. Roads in this country dont help either! if you dont want tourqe steer buy a metro!

Metros torque steer.  If you don't want torque steer - buy a Lancia or an Alfa Sud as these car engineered to have equal length driveshafts so torque is delivered square and they don't squirm under power.  Either that or buy a RWD car…

Back to the top
There is a bit with the diff swapping grip between the wheels and steering at the same time but if u set the handling up properly you'll not notice it anywhere near as much as some people would have u believe! Ive had a few FWD LSD equipped cars (all Quaife), and changing the suspension settings can make a hell of a difference on our roads with one fitted.

The Focus RS was set up too firm for the magazine testers to over emphasise the grip, but the negative was excessive tram-lining and torque steer, UK road cars had a slightly softer setting which eliminated most of it!  I'll stand by u want to uprate the suspension first, fully adj coilovers ideally, u can play with the settings a lot more.

Back to the top
Got the box back from hardy's just need time to get it all built! Will post up what i think of it when sorted.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.