Skip navigation

whats the best way to make it shine !

Back to the top

whats the best way to make it shine !

It's probably an old topic but what's the best way to make my golf shine? which is the best polish or wax ? what's the best stuff to keep my bumpers black ? i used the back to black stuff but it didn't seem to last very long.

are the buffers from argos any good or is elbow grease always the best option ?

Back to the top

Back to the top
polishing is only as good as the paint underneath it.

Back to the top

wooders said

polishing is only as good as the paint underneath it.

its true… i can use all kinds of kit on my roof, but the weird blotchy effect means that it ruins it and i cant get rid of it..

if you want proper cleaning, money no object, look into zym?l… they're the best, but brilliant cleaning on a (highish) budget then Meguiar's

1983 Golf 1.3 Driver:  

Back to the top
2000 grit (NOT 200!!) wet and dry sand paper and several hours to spare!  Then add as many coats of wax as you can.

Back to the top
Meguiar's, the best polish i have used without doubt.

Dont ask what your club can do for you, but what can you do for your club?

Back to the top

A5OPY said

Haven't tried Zym?l yet then 8)

1983 Golf 1.3 Driver:  

Back to the top

A5OPY said

Can you recommed any particular product?? Just looking at their range and there is loads!  :dontknow:

Just looking for a good polish/Wax to apply after washing to make her sparkle!

1983 1.5 GX - Silver

Back to the top
autoglym super resin polish is good to use first to hide swirl marks

then use autoglym extra gloss protection

then megiuars tech wax to finish..

black WoW or forever black is good to use on bumpers

i wouldnt really advise using a buffer for argos unless you know what your doing(sometimes they can do more damage than good on your paint…holograms,swirl marks etc…)

try these guys for your products(they sell all the above products)
http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/

Back to the top

leeson said

i wouldnt really advise using a buffer for argos unless you know what your doing(sometimes they can do more damage than good on your paint…holograms,swirl marks etc…)

there's definitely a trick to using buffers, but i prefer elbow grease, i think you just get a better result, and the satisfaction is hard to beat 8)

1983 Golf 1.3 Driver:  

Back to the top
PKMax have a look @ www.waxpoetic.co.uk

For starters and not to expensive try meg 3 step.

step 1 paint cleaner
step 2 polish
and step 3 wax.

This gives good all round performance @ a reasonable price. you can spend loads of dosh on many produts / expensive waxes but if your just looking to smarten your car up and make it shine then the 3 step should do you ok

Dom @ WaxPoetic

Back to the top
Thanks Dom, Will have a look...

1983 1.5 GX - Silver

Back to the top

DomTheWaxman said

step 1 paint cleaner
step 2 polish
and step 3 wax.

This gives good all round performance @ a reasonable price. you can spend loads of dosh on many produts / expensive waxes but if your just looking to smarten your car up and make it shine then the 3 step should do you ok

Dom @ WaxPoetic

hi,

im thinkin of giving this Meguiars 3 step pllan a go but im not sure if its right for my car, is it for cleaning majorly aged dirty paint or can it be used on clean paint aswell???
if so hows it work? do you clean your car first an then carry out the 3 steps or do you just do them straight away?

cheers
sam

Back to the top

sam_m said

DomTheWaxman said

step 1 paint cleaner
step 2 polish
and step 3 wax.

Dom @ WaxPoetic

hi,

im thinkin of giving this Meguiars 3 step pllan a go but im not sure if its right for my car, is it for cleaning majorly aged dirty paint or can it be used on clean paint aswell???
if so hows it work? do you clean your car first an then carry out the 3 steps or do you just do them straight away?

cheers
sam

always give your car a good wash before rubbing anything into the paint, if you don't you'll end up rubbing in all the dirt and making the paint worse.

1983 Polo CL - daily

1984 Golf G60 Syncro - sold

1989 Rallye Golf - sold

1992 Corrado G60 - crushed

1989 Polo C - chopped and crushed

1991 309 Style - crushed

Back to the top
Hello Sam.

As above always wash first. Ideally rinse the car with running water first to remove surface dust / grime. Then wash with a good qauilty shampoo, preferably with a wash mitt not a sponge as a sponge will hold dirt.

Dry with your favoured method (drying towel,chamois,blade, microfibre)

Megs step 3 is good for any paint type, it will renovate tired paint(faded reds,blacks etc) but is also fine on newer paints.

It is a good system, not the best in many aspects but as a starter and not expensive it does what is says on the tin.

Drop me a e-mail if I can be of any more help. (info@waxpoetic.co.uk)

Cheers

Dom @ Waxpoetic.

Back to the top
This 3 stage stuff is basically

stage 1 a slightly abrasive step to remove oxidents etc
                  ie clean the paint
       stage 2 is a polish to condition the paint
                  increase the shine (but no protection)
       stage 3 is then a wax to protect stages 1 + 2, which will
                  form a barrier for dirt and bead water.

You can replace the stage 3 wax with NXT Tech Wax, will do the same as step 3 but is a polimer based wax and so should be longer lasting, more expensive though.  

As said before you do all this after washing the car spotless. Hope that helps.

1988 1.8 carb Golf Clipper

Back to the top

djheap22 said

This 3 stage stuff is basically

stage 1 a slightly abrasive step to remove oxidents etc
                  ie clean the paint
       stage 2 is a polish to condition the paint
                  increase the shine (but no protection)
       stage 3 is then a wax to protect stages 1 + 2, which will
                  form a barrier for dirt and bead water.

You can replace the stage 3 wax with NXT Tech Wax, will do the same as step 3 but is a polimer based wax and so should be longer lasting, more expensive though.  

As said before you do all this after washing the car spotless. Hope that helps.

Sir.

Just a quick correction. Megs step 1 is NON abrasive cleaner. It is in fact a chemicail based paint cleaner

Back to the top
I'm afraid it's autoglym all the way for me 8) High gloss and super resin polishes are great  :wink:

I used the autoglym life shine kit too. Only needs it once, I did mine 2 years ago and it's still shining.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/…ZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The gloss and glass guard are awesome.

Hope that helps
 :wink:
H

Back to the top
Before wax I use G10 I absolutly swear by it!! Its what bodyshops use to flat paintwork down.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Farecla-G10-Liquid-Finishing-Rubbing-Compound-500ml_W0QQitemZ150215134988QQihZ005QQcategoryZ72201QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Provides no protection tho so use a good wax after using it

Back to the top

hfoster001 said

I'm afraid it's autoglym all the way for me 8) High gloss and super resin polishes are great  :wink:

I used the autoglym life shine kit too. Only needs it once, I did mine 2 years ago and it's still shining.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/…ZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The gloss and glass guard are awesome.

Hope that helps
 :wink:
H

In the very near future Life shine will only be available from AG recognised valeters / detailers with a proof certificate, so make the most of any e-bay offers.

G10 is , as mentioned it is a body shop product(liquid compond)and has a mild abrasive cutting action. Unless you have used these products before, or have been shown how to use them, stick with retail products designed for easy of use with good results.

Dom @ waxpoetic
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.