Skip navigation

Corrado VR6

Back to the top

Corrado VR6

Topoftherange said

paul_c said

Mk2 Sciroccos are well-sorted mechanically and are actually very good driving and handling cars. They also have way more interior room than the Mk1 Scirocco. I think when you buy/own a coupe it comes down to irrational factors such as others' perceptions of your car's looks, or your own; or some kind of image due to its rarity. For this reason, Mk2 Scirocco doesn't quite tick all the boxes for me. I have secretly wanted a Corrado for a long time but I'd want a VR6 auto Storm, and there's only 10 in each colour! Oh well.

Storms arent that rare, Auto ones maybe, but for a "driving" car the manual is spot on! the rarest of the rare is the "campaign" corrado! only 6 made and all had brick red leather seats! theres one for sale at a dealers for 8k at the moment, but its been in a smash and is a cat C!!!!!!!!

How many Corrado storms then?

Back to the top
500 storms were made Mystic Blue & Classic Green Pearl effect, 20 autos were done, the badgeing was different, leather, solitude alloys, thats about it really, theres a couple for sale on corrado forum at the minute :mrgreen:  I suppose they are a bit like sportlines, and Rallyes, theres plenty about if you look the right places :D

92 Sportline in Flash Red, Standard **SOLD**

91 G60 Corrado in Aqua Blue pearl

91 Rallye Golf, Tornado Red, AMD tuned to 220bhp 227 flb torque 9j x16 Borbet B alloys

1985 B Alpine white mk2 Golf Gti

Back to the top
if it helps, i had a corrado vr6 about 13-14yrs ago. what a fabously lovely car it was. if you can cope with a 2 door coupe, then get one. HAS to be a vr6 though!

Back to the top
:lol:  the G60 is tuneable cheaply (relatively) way beyond a VR though wooders, for under 1k you can have a 230 bhp motor

But agree the VR is an awesome engine to have in any car, if nothing else they sound superb

91 Rallye Golf, Tornado Red, AMD tuned to 220bhp 227 flb torque 9j x16 Borbet B alloys

Back to the top
i wouldn't say tuneable way beyond a vr6. as you say, the noise if nothing else is worth it. stick a cone filter on and phwoar.

Back to the top

Back to the top
:lol:  like i said G60 tuning is cheaper!!

Back to the top

Topoftherange said

:lol:  like i said G60 tuning is cheaper!!

Are we comparing the price of a tuned G60 with a stock VR6? The VR6 is cheaper…. Remember the Corrado VR6 is 2.9, not 2.8, so thats 190bhp stock, instead of 174bhp as found in the Golf. G60 Corrado is 160bhp stock, how much tuning are you talking about and what's the typical cost?

Back to the top
to put cams and do engine work to a VR6 is a lot more expensive to do, to bolt a charger on one is best part of 2.5k once you take into account all the remap req etc

the G60 being a 4 cylinder 8v is far easier to work on and the parts to upgrade are cheaper,  so ? for ? i would say the more value for money to bhp gained is on the G60`s side, but either motor tuned is awesome, just depends what you want, and what your budget is :D

I got both at the moment and the VR is definately smoother and has more out and out grunt, but then my G60 IS totaly standard, (at the minute :wink: ) but it still pulls like a train, i would say it would keep with the VR quite well, having them side by side to test is nice to compare, im sure a few shopping trips to G werks will be happening over the next few months so the G60 will be getting more oooomph :D

Back to the top
Okay its like this: bone stock, the Corrado VR6 is quicker than the G60. As you start spending money on it (maybe ?500-1000 or so) the G60 will 'catch up' with the VR6 and overtake it. But as you continue to spend more and more money (?2000 or thereabouts), the VR6 is once again quicker.

Do bear in mind that the G60 is electronic FI too, so it too will need a remap (or a new chip) each time its tweaked.

I kinda agree though, VR6 is costly to modify and at the end of the day, its head is not optimal to high power (based on the different lengths of the inlet tract, based on the layout of the cylinders and the one head which covers both 'banks' of cylinders). But also remember, there is a thermodynamic limit to the amount of power obtainable from an engine, so the larger the capacity and the larger the block itself, the more (theoretical) power.

Back to the top
Totaly agree, there is NO replacement for displacement!! but when it comes to a Corrado the handling and aero dynamics certainly give it an edge over any golf, although my VR6 golf is very quick for a standard car, just due to the 6 cylinder effect! incidently the Highline golf is 185bhp from the factory due to dfferences in the inlet and a few other bits, the factory never officialy changed the bhp figures on paper but it is widely accepted the late VR6 with OBD2 engine and ecu make more power than OBD1 cars did

im planing on doing the same mods to my G60 corrado as i did to the Rallye, schrick cam, chip, stage 4 charger, 68mm pulley, Bahn Brenner outlet on the exhaust side of the charger, should be good for 220 at least as it already has cat bypass and stainless Jetex on it

Back to the top
Manufacturers typically quoted power outputs to neatly fit into German car tax bands. Strange that, isn't it?

Back to the top
So i went and had a look at the Corrado today. It was as the seller described but a lot dirtier.

Cause its red the bonnet and roof have faded but the sides are a good. I think both will respond to a cut and polish, possibly a machine buffer would do the job better though.

He has the invoice for the engine rebuild in 04, cost ?3500! So the engine and drive all seem excellent.  

Anyway as it drove so nicely i have bought it, cost ?3500. Its done 70k miles but only aroubnd 10k since the engine has been done.

Has quite a few mods, which i was a bit worried about but having seen them they have improved the car. Coil over suspension, Audi TT big brake kit, fancy ARB, oil cooler.. he has removed the SCHRICK Variable Geometry Intake Manifold (didnt wanna pay ?700 for it, but kinda thinking maybe i should get it!), tiny steering wheel and phat audio system.

As of tuesday i will be getting my old VW fix in the winter.. it still wont be the same as my mk1 though!

Garage:
83 Mk1 Golf GTi Campaign - Mars Red - Totally Standard
78 Honda Civic 1200 Hondamatic - Silver
07 Honda Civic ES 2.2 CDi - Black, all the options!

Back to the top
you may find the schrick worth having if you can afford it and would like more power.

Back to the top
Thats the problem wooders, i can afford ?3500 for the car but an extra ?700 is going to be pushing it i think specially as i want a set of BBS wheels! I did have a brief look last night and there are quite a few SHRICKS forsale so if i get the urge in the future i may experiment with one.

Garage:

Back to the top
So after a day with a buffer and cutting compound and a further day cleaning and polishing i have got the Corrado looking shiny.

Mk1 came out for a wax up and run too so thought it would be a good photo op!

Garage:

Back to the top
Cute dog.

Back to the top
have you got long hair?

Back to the top
looking good

noticed in your picture, your passenger side wing doesn't line up to the bumper which is the same as mine  :(

pretty sure it's a G60 wing! shame it's not the drivers side, I have a spare VR drivers wing

'82 Black 1600 GTI - Getting Better

Back to the top
I was going to attack the shut lines tomorrow.. i was hoping that i would be able to adjust the bonnet to give an even line.. but you recon the g60 and VRs have differnt wings then?

Im positive that mine has been in a light crash at somepoint as before cleaning some areas of paint was in better condition.. ie not original. So there is a chance that the wing could have been changed.. problem is im sure the paint work as on the drivers side not the passenger side where the shut gap is out.

just re read your post phill and see what you mean.. however the bumper has been hit in a car park a few weeks back.. was the reason i got the car i think as it really annoyed the owner. The passenger side bumper is cracked at the corner and has popped out of its locator.. ive been more worried about the shut line from the bonnet to the wings!

Garage:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.