Skip navigation

1.5 auto - 1.6d -1.9td

Back to the top

1.5 auto - 1.6d -1.9td

the change from 1.5auto to 1.6 diesel manual happened along time ago as you know, i now have hold of a 1.9td aaz to drop in her, if i remember i will take plenty of pics.

the plans i do have with her will include a moderate increase in hp (prob double the  75 bhp figure)

first question is do you think i will need a egt guage?

secong is will a gti center console fit a series one ok?

hello!

Back to the top
EGT is fairly low down on my list. In approx order of importance, I have (or soon will have):

speedo
rev counter x2*
water temp
oil temp
oil pressure
voltage
AFR*
MAP*
left wheel speed*
right wheel speed*
accelerometer*

(* logged using LM-1 and LHM-3 auxbox)

AFR and MAP are pretty meaningless on a diesel, though.

Back to the top
I've always liked the idea a MK1 1.9TD as a daily driver. Good luck and looking forward to seeing the pics.

Think doubling the bhp is a bit ambitious?

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
i have been informed that with a diesel turbo an egr is essential if i'm going to be turning the fueling up for more hp.

from what i have ben led to beleive i can get around 100 bhp just adjusting what's already there and then by changinging parts i can acheive another 100bhp on top!! but i only want a moderate amount of power not a drag racing diese!!  

so i plan to put a mk2 td t3 turbo on 2.5" exhaust performance filters grind down aranoid pin and a small intercooler then if i dare turn the fuelling and boost up! fit a sneeze valve prehaps

hello!

Back to the top
Ive looked on ebay at the pics bert,you have not got EGR,lucky you,i havent got it on mine either,and as for EGT gauge,it depends how much your going to push the car,i havent got one,i just keep an eye on the oil and water temps,and the amount of smoke i push out,judging by my smoke im ok for now,need to fit an intercooler though……been saying that for 12 months  :wink:
Cheap buy that bert,you now need a garrett T3 off the 1.6D i know the JR engine came with a T3,compare it to the kkk k03 on the car and youll laugh,also dump the cat,p/s,and set the pump to 0.95mm lift,use a rover 220TD aneroid pin and youll be laughing,mine spins in third if i try  :twisted: im running at 11 psi still full boost,can go more but its cool,you will need a brake upgrade too  :wink:
Bert

Thats not a rod knockin,its a diesel stupid! floppy top and 1 tin top

Back to the top
sounds like a good start bert!! nice to know its a non egr (hope you right)

i know many ways of improving the power. but with increased power comes the need for better stopers and wat i got at the mo is well terible, i used the heavy diesel engine to slow me down and the stoppers to halt!

will the mk3 servo/master cylinder fit and work. and the front calipers??

hello!

Back to the top

rov716y said

will the mk3 servo/master cylinder fit and work. and the front calipers??

No

Back to the top
is the mk2 stuff the best upgrade then? or just upgrade to gti brakes

hello!

Back to the top
Mk3 servo - pedal is done by a ball joint, not a pin arrangement as on Mk1/Mk2. I spent a while taking out a Mk3 brake pedal and MC (its not easy, its location is yukky to get to) only to find this out. Also there#s a plastic fitment that it difficult to get out. In the end I cut the pedal with a grinder, this set fire to the plastic part and it came out.

There's loads in the FAQ about braking. Definitely uprated MC & servo (does ur new engine have a vacuum pump??? ), definitely vented discs, maybe drilled/grooved too with better pads, maybe bigger discs still.

Back to the top

yes it has vacume pump for the servo (if thats what you mean.

i am running series one front brakes with the litle square pads (hopeless) but this is one area i am hoping i can upgrade cheaply and quickly.

i have all poly bushes ready for engine mounts steering rack wishbones and bump stops!!  just missing the ones for my gti arb's  she's been lowered 60mm on spax shocks and springs but i still want lower and stiffer!!

she will go matt black this spring  once warmer weather is here and evetually after i saved some pennies a full inarisilber respary

hello!

Back to the top
nw engine sat infront of the car now ready to go in. have swaped all the mounts over apart from the drivers side one. i need to cut it down to fit to the aaz block

bert did you just cut it and use the two bolt holes that are visable just back and down from the canbelt tensioner?

un sure what i'm going to do about the axhaust at this point think i will just bodge the mk1 exhaust to it for now and get a stainless 2.5" one made at a later date

hello!

Back to the top
here bert i used 4, 12.9 cap screws,spring washers and locktite.

Bert  ring if stuck  :wink:

Thats not a rod knockin,its a diesel stupid! floppy top and 1 tin top

Back to the top
got engine in today (sorry no pics) only to fint that someone has put a mk2 gti16v gearbox on the engine with 100mm output flanges! and i dont have the half shafts. the exhaust is going to be a bit more work than i thought,  and when i went to turn her over she was very slow so i put a jump lead from earth on battery to the gear box and she turn over fast and struck up, she sounded lovely and cant wait to get her completely sorted now  :D

hello!

Back to the top
I'm sure that gearbox is going to leave you too low geared - why not reuse the existing gearbox?

Back to the top
the output flange on the 1.6 engine is smaller than the aaz engine so i cant use the 1.6 clutch and the 1.9 clutch is too big for the 1.6 g box from what i understand. the engine will leave me lower geared yes so i'll get throught the gears quickly and accelerate quick aswell

wish i took the drive shafts  joint of and put on my driveshaft donar car now!!! i did take the inner cv joint (100mm) of the half driveshaft i cut of but it wont fit onto my drive shaft as the splines on the end are different lenghts.

hello!

Back to the top
bert can you let me know what sensors on the engine are which and what colour cables go on them

hello!

Back to the top

rov716y said

the output flange on the 1.6 engine is smaller than the aaz engine so i cant use the 1.6 clutch and the 1.9 clutch is too big for the 1.6 g box from what i understand. the engine will leave me lower geared yes so i'll get throught the gears quickly and accelerate quick aswell

wish i took the drive shafts  joint of and put on my driveshaft donar car now!!! i did take the inner cv joint (100mm) of the half driveshaft i cut of but it wont fit onto my drive shaft as the splines on the end are different lenghts.

The clutch sits inside the flywheel. So maybe a 1.6d flywheel, on the 1.6d gearbox, and use a 210mm clutch in there?

Back to the top
if i cant track and shafts down think i will look at putting 1.6 box on but i got it all in and everything plumbed up so want to avoid taking it out!

hopefully shopuld get some and then everything will be good.

just got to say it sounded good hearing the turbo whistle when i was reving it!!!

hello!

Back to the top

paul_c said

I'm sure that gearbox is going to leave you too low geared - why not reuse the existing gearbox?

using the 16v gearbox is going to be a bad idea. will not suit the engine at all.

Back to the top
the 16v gear box was on the engine when it cam out of the mk3 i thought it was a bog standard diesel aaz engine but after a conversation with bert wearlier he said from the code on the bottom of the gear box it was a mk2 gti 16v gbox. if i find i dont get on with it will look at putting my 1.6 gbox on when i take it back out again to tune her and paint the bay etc etc.

hello!
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.