Skip navigation

Golf Mk1 OC Members hold back the price of Mk1s. Discuss...

Back to the top

Golf Mk1 OC Members hold back the price of Mk1s. Discuss...

manx_GTi said

Topoftherange said

:Nobody in the club can determine or control the price of a mk1 golf, if its what someone wants and has the money in my experience they will pay what they see fit

If this is the case then should the clubs website even have a price guide section?

Personally if its not up to date i dont think it should be on the site.

Its better than nothing, but not as good as a regularly-updated, well-researched price guide. If you look through the forum we have loads of people asking "how much is my car worth" (normally cabbys). So something is useful, surely?

Any volunteers to update/improve it?

Back to the top

manx_GTi said

Topoftherange said

:Nobody in the club can determine or control the price of a mk1 golf, if its what someone wants and has the money in my experience they will pay what they see fit

If this is the case then should the clubs website even have a price guide section?

BUT…. its only a price "guide" AND it only offers an insight it to what a potential sellr or purchaser could be expecting to pay given the pros and cons of the individual car

92 Sportline in Flash Red, Standard **SOLD**

91 G60 Corrado in Aqua Blue pearl

91 Rallye Golf, Tornado Red, AMD tuned to 220bhp 227 flb torque 9j x16 Borbet B alloys

1985 B Alpine white mk2 Golf Gti

Back to the top

paul_c said

manx_GTi said

Topoftherange said

Its better than nothing, but not as good as a regularly-updated, well-researched price guide. If you look through the forum we have loads of people asking "how much is my car worth" (normally cabbys). So something is useful, surely?

Any volunteers to update/improve it?

Given that the reaction to the "What's my car worth" threads are usually and quite rightly "Whatever someone is prepared to pay for it" that would seem to indicate our lack of faith in the accuracy of the price guide. Having that price guide on the site and being the Mk1 Owners Club could well be dictating the price of cars. It'd be an interesting experiment to add or remove 50% from the values shown on that guide and repost then see what happens to Mk1 asking prices.

I don't think there'd be many volunteers to contribute to a thread where people post what they've paid for their Mk1. However, a more accurate idea of price could be gained by one member taking on the responsibility for putting something together and asking that all members PM the date of purchase/condition/model and price of their Golfs. I've just got a new job so no time to volunteer to take this on at the moment but if nobody has done it by May I'd be interested in putting the work in.

Back to the top
The only problem with that is unless your taking into account the 25 or so years since the thing was built and numerous owners/repairs/modifications you cannot dictate what any given car would sell for

as i have said before, i only gave 2k for my sportline, im not planning on selling it anytime soon so im not bothered about its "true" value be it more or less :dontknow:

What you will see time and time again is people brow beating others trying to get something for nothing when they are buying, but when it comes to selling time they want top dollar, so how do you control that? thats human nature to want as much as you can get, nothing to do with any type of car!!

I draw your attention to the cheeser that tried punting on a Mars red mk1 a few months back for 3.5k……..if it had any inner rear inner arches 8O  or the front wings werent hanging off it!! then in my opinion it would still have been worth half of that ask or less.

but someone else (not from here i dont think!!) may have parted with the cash for it :dontknow:  and it was a shed, being sold by a greedy man who posted on CGTI that he got it for ?800 a week before!!

92 Sportline in Flash Red, Standard **SOLD**

91 G60 Corrado in Aqua Blue pearl

91 Rallye Golf, Tornado Red, AMD tuned to 220bhp 227 flb torque 9j x16 Borbet B alloys

1985 B Alpine white mk2 Golf Gti

Back to the top

manx_GTi said

Topoftherange said

It is up to date. The asking prices of S2 Mk1s has not changed in over 10 years! It is only a guide and not a car valuation service. If you look at any classic car guide you will notice the prices shown are on the optimistic side.

Banner
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.