Skip navigation

cheap wax

Back to the top

cheap wax

X said

okay, for the people that think a hose is a clean, this is what i do to clean a car (i do it occasionally to earn a bit of money):

Clean with Meguiar's Gold Class shampoo: 1 Hour

Dry with chamois and Meguiar's microfibre cloth: 15-20mins

De-contaminate with Meguiar's Quik Clay and mist: 1-2 hours

[If car's paint is dull, Paint restorer will be here: 1 Hour]

Detail window seals, wheels and body trim: 45 minutes

3 stages of Meguiar's Wax
            Stage 1: Paint Cleaner
            Stage 2: Deep Polish
            Stage 3: Carnauba Wax application: 1h30m

Glass Polished: 15 Mins

Any bare metal is polished manually with Autosol: 15-30mins

Finally, tyre dressing added: 10 Mins

simple, 6-7 hours work, reasonable price :wink:

Id do that if I was going to a show, no way if the car was just sat outside my house.

You make one trip and its filthy again!! but, seems a pretty good system you got goin'

'83 1.5 Gx (picture coming soon)

Back to the top

DomTheWaxman said

X said

okay, for the people that think a hose is a clean, this is what i do to clean a car (i do it occasionally to earn a bit of money):

Clean with Meguiar's Gold Class shampoo: 1 Hour

Dry with chamois and Meguiar's microfibre cloth: 15-20mins

De-contaminate with Meguiar's Quik Clay and mist: 1-2 hours

[If car's paint is dull, Paint restorer will be here: 1 Hour]

Detail window seals, wheels and body trim: 45 minutes

3 stages of Meguiar's Wax
            Stage 1: Paint Cleaner
            Stage 2: Deep Polish
            Stage 3: Carnauba Wax application: 1h30m

Glass Polished: 15 Mins

Any bare metal is polished manually with Autosol: 15-30mins

Finally, tyre dressing added: 10 Mins

simple, 6-7 hours work, reasonable price :wink:

Hello X

Nothing at all wrong with your system though I would point out that Megs step 3 is ok but it does'nt have longevity(spelling) if you are going to stick with Megs try NXT  Tech wax(synthetic) or try Dodo Juice(carnauba)

Dom @ Waxpoetic.co.uk

EDIT thanks dom… i rarely use stage 3 now (force of habit to write it) i usually use Meguiar's Gold Class, lasts loads longer

1983 Golf 1.3 Driver:  

Back to the top

MK1_Arron said

Id do that if I was going to a show, no way if the car was just sat outside my house.

You make one trip and its filthy again!! but, seems a pretty good system you got goin'

I'm strangely thorough, although i dont do this EVERY time i wash a car, if i do it to make money i do that much, but just for my car after my dad used it for a couple of days i just wash it and use 3-stage wax

thanks for pointing that out though Arron :y:

1983 Golf 1.3 Driver:  

Back to the top
Thank you for a valuable insight into the car cleaning world, I know all about 3stage-waxing now  :)

'83 1.5 Gx (picture coming soon)

Back to the top
Meguiars NXT tech wax all the way…  :mrgreen:

Back to the top

walt said

Meguiars NXT tech wax all the way…  :mrgreen:

Tech wax is good, but i much prefer gold class, its just easier to use… unless youre talking about the NXT paste version, in which case :y:

1983 Golf 1.3 Driver:  

Back to the top
Buff off the NXT with a micro fibre cloth... No residue and the deepest shine I have ever seen.. I have used most of the top waxes including Meguiars Gold class and Auto Gly Ultimate deep shine.. The NXT is noticably better in every respect than anything I have ever used.. Period!! It seems expensive at ?15 and I am sure this is why you are getting a lot of reviews of cheaper waxes here.. But it is worth every penny and if it were twice the price, I would still use that and only that.. My car is metalic and I can only vouch for it on a colour with clear laquor finish.. Solid colours may come up better with other products.. But I doubt it!! :mrgreen:

Back to the top
Blimey Walt!!!

Where you been??

Good to see ya back!  8)

Back to the top
Hello debs my little ray of eternal sunshine.. I have been pottering about.. Not doing much.. You know  :)

Back to the top
A little more info on waxes(just because im anal about cleaning sorry) :cry:

Carnauba-based waxes(Dodo Juice,Gold Class and step 3 to a degree) add an element of depth and warmth.Synthetic wax formulas(NXT Tech Wax) create brilliance and sparkle.

In genral waxes reflect more light and as a result your paint work will look more vibrant with depth and gloss. And will help protect your shine and paint work from the enviroment.

This is not meant to sound like Im popus ass, these are copies from my soon to published on the website FAQs

Dom

Back to the top
3 stage for me to, i use gold class now its effortless and what a finish.

Back to the top

DomTheWaxman said

A little more info on waxes(just because im anal about cleaning sorry) :cry:

Carnauba-based waxes(Dodo Juice,Gold Class and step 3 to a degree) add an element of depth and warmth.Synthetic wax formulas(NXT Tech Wax) create brilliance and sparkle.

In genral waxes reflect more light and as a result your paint work will look more vibrant with depth and gloss. And will help protect your shine and paint work from the enviroment.

This is not meant to sound like Im popus ass, these are copies from my soon to published on the website FAQs

Dom

Carnauba is a very expensive wax part though… because (i looked this up) and stage 3 Meguiar's has 6% carnauba wax in it, and costs about a tenner.

but its a expinential scale because there is a wax (i put a link to it in page 1) with about 75% carnauba, its basically an enzyme, which works best if applied by hand (no applicator pad (the heat of your hands acts as a catalyst)) but its a bit more than ?7,000 OO

but as dom says, different waxes do different things, hence the 3-stage system that Meguiar's have, they all do something else that helps create a brilliant shine

one thing that ive noticed is that if you use Meguiar's glass cleaner on your paintwork, then it gets rid of ALL smear marks left from waxing and creates a perfect shine! (try it, but use a microfibre cloth to do it, it creates a better shine overall)

1983 Golf 1.3 Driver:  

Back to the top
There are a lot of arguments about wax, but basicailly a liquid (carnauba based) wax will have a lower content of carnauba to make it usable as a liquid.

Solid carnauba based waxes (Dodo,Zymol divine (?1280 a hit)etc) will have a higher % of carnauba and will last longer and give a better, deeper finish.

There is also a great deal of confusion with regards wax content in products, bellow is quote from some one who handmakes a very fine wax:

" Suppose a wax is claimed to contain 70% carnauba, so 70% carnauba and 30% beeswax say = 100% total wax content, this could actually be a very small percentage of the final product, especially where thin liquid or spray waxes are concerned as they will mainly be water."

As for glass cleaner X, have you tried Megs Speed Detailer or Megs Ultimate Quik Detailer?

Back to the top

DomTheWaxman said

As for glass cleaner X, have you tried Megs Speed Detailer or Megs Ultimate Quik Detailer?

I have thought about it.. but i vastly lack the ? to be able to afford it :lol:

if i get this job that ive got an interview for then ill buy some ulti-quik lol

but it was just an experiment with what i had, i know it isnt really the best thing to use :oops:

but cheers for the advice :wink: :y:

1983 Golf 1.3 Driver:  

Back to the top

well just done the top quarter to see how it worked definatly an improvement over polish alone worth the pound it cost me i will most likely get some good stuff when my over golfs been painted

dom any reccomendations on products for fresh paint? especially to protecet as its kept outside

cheers rob

83 BBS MK1 GTI 69 T2 PANEL VAN i am back let the trouble begin :)

Back to the top
It will do the job fine……but other waxs are superior and you would notice the close up finish was far better

If you know anyone in the trade? Autosmart do a Carnuba wax paste in a tub, i used to use it on my Rallye and it is superb…I cant get it anymore as i dont see the bloke, but if you know anyone at a car dealers? who uses Autosmart products they can get it for you.

92 Sportline in Flash Red, Standard **SOLD**

91 G60 Corrado in Aqua Blue pearl

91 Rallye Golf, Tornado Red, AMD tuned to 220bhp 227 flb torque 9j x16 Borbet B alloys

1985 B Alpine white mk2 Golf Gti

Back to the top
http://www.smartvaleting.co.uk/carnauba.cat.shtml
looks good for the money any way
this the stuff?

Back to the top
yep thats the gear.......gives a great finish and lasts ages too :D

92 Sportline in Flash Red, Standard **SOLD**

91 G60 Corrado in Aqua Blue pearl

91 Rallye Golf, Tornado Red, AMD tuned to 220bhp 227 flb torque 9j x16 Borbet B alloys

1985 B Alpine white mk2 Golf Gti

Back to the top
If its fresh paint no need for a polish wax. Go for a sealant first, then a decent grade carnauba wax.

As with any wax its all about layers, the thinner the better and plenty of them. When I do a car its a minimum of 2 layers, if it is my car after the first 2 I leave it 24hrs before applying another coat(weather permitting these days)

Dom

Back to the top

two layers on it now bad light and phone pics dont look so hot

ps its for sale anyone wanna buy it viewer today didnt show :cry:

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.