Skip navigation

Cabriolet Restoration

Back to the top

Cabriolet Restoration

Leda suspension will make you anything you want i understand and should be able to help.

Can i ask what you used to strip the car underside? And then what paint and  process you used?

Leda | User Login

Back to the top
I used a wire brush with drill and angle grinder. Angle grinder removes underseal quicker but need to be careful, if it hits an edge it jumps. Believe me, I have found out the hard way. :oops:  :oops:
Since I am going for a show condition, I used 2 coats of etch primer, 4 coats of 2K primer and 4 coats of 2K acrylic. You get a super smooth finish but not recommended for a daily driver. You would need to use a paintable underseal for more protection.
I will have a look at the Leda website. Cheers.

Back to the top
Thanks for that,  I really want something in between, not really daily, but not show.  Love the work you are putting into this project BTW.

Leda website is a little poor.  but i think suspension is the main part of there work not flashy websites, if you know what i mean.  So it may be worth a call to see if they can cater for your requirements. :D

Back to the top
awsome work

have been toying with the idea of going 4wd with mine

any chance you get get a pic of the inside of the boot floor?

just trying to weigh up some options

mike

Back to the top
I have a couple of pictures of the inside of the boot section.

I welded the beam in first, then a new floor section behind it to keep it looking tidier, and also fabricated a section in front of the rear beam to allow for the rear axle.

Back to the top
A little bit of progress. Got brake disc, carrier and driveshaft on. Just need to get some calipers.

I bought the cv pliers to use original clips.

I have also run some new brake lines.

More updates soon. :wink:  :wink:

Back to the top
dude the cab looks good and i like it a lot .the only thing you can do better is GRIND YOUR WELDS DOWN .there annoying me .but still going to be great .good luck dude .

:(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(

Back to the top
Yes, there a few things not quite perfect. I did originally go for a real spotless concourse restoration, but when I decided on the 4wd conversion I knew perfect was going to be out of the question. Still I will keep going and hope the finished car can still make it to a few shows in the future.

Back to the top
Great progress, keep the updates coming.

Banner

Back to the top
good progress, interested in seeing where you go from now.

i notice that you've painted the engine bay, so it would seem work under there is complete - what are your plans with regard to the steering rack position? also bear in mind that the O20 gearboxes use a linkage partly mounted on the steering rack - this could pose complications, as could the rod shift set up on the O20 gearbox which hangs beneath the tunnel and could obstruct the prop shaft.

where are you routing the exhaust?

what have you done for rear coilovers?

what handbrake cables are you using?

do you have any more photos of the rear beam mounts?

john

1983 Polo CL - daily

1984 Golf G60 Syncro - sold

1989 Rallye Golf - sold

1992 Corrado G60 - crushed

1989 Polo C - chopped and crushed

1991 309 Style - crushed

Back to the top
great thread... more! 8)

Back to the top
great thread will be keepin my eye on this one

Back to the top

Carbs4ever said

great thread… more! 8)

indeed, however there are many major issues which haven't been taken into account, and are going to cause issues when it comes to building the rest of the car!

1983 Polo CL - daily

1989 Rallye Golf - sold

1991 309 Style - crushed

Back to the top
I have been working flat out at the moment so the work on the car has been limited but I plan to crack on with it soon.
With regard to some of the questions previously asked, the steering rack on the car is a TSR power steering conversion and uses aluminium adaptors. I have fabricated some new ones which will move the rack up 25mm. When I bought the syncro running gear, I realised the gearchange could be a problem and so I asked for the complete syncro gearchange. It attaches to the gearbox and not the steering rack. The exhaust system will be made from Jetex universal stainless steel parts and will be run the same as Ben Leach's car. The rear coilovers will be made by Gaz shocks where their factory is 10 miles from where I live. I sent them an email and have been told they can make them to my exact specifications. The handbrake cables will be Scirocco 16v rear brake items.
As I said, I plan to get alot more done soon and I will definately post up the pics as soon as the work gets done.

Back to the top
awesome  8)

sounds like you've certainly been soldiering on with the build.

may i ask how much you are paying for the rear set up,  and what rate springs you went for?

cheers

john

1983 Polo CL - daily

1989 Rallye Golf - sold

1991 309 Style - crushed

Back to the top
The rear shocks will be adjustable height and damping and will each cost ?75 + VAT. As for the springs they will be extra at ?20 each. I haven't actually decided on what spring rate to go for yet.

Back to the top
Very nice and interesting build :D

Snoopys Eurotune Autosport on FBook.

http://www.facebook.com/Sn00pyB0ttz#!/pages/Snoopys-Eurotune-Autosport/160536723976091

Contact me for parts you need but cant find!

Back to the top
wow, you done some fantastic work there, be great to her finished

chris

Chris

Banner

Back to the top

lea said

dude the cab looks good and i like it a lot .the only thing you can do better is GRIND YOUR WELDS DOWN .there annoying me .but still going to be great .good luck dude .

:(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(

grinding welds only reduces the strength

Ever growing range of new mk1 golf parts www.classic-vw.co.uk

Back to the top
The car hasn't been touched for over a year now. I am contemplating selling it as I don't seem to have any spare time to finish it. I would prefer to sell everything in one go. Obviously the car is still on the rotisserie so it would need to be trailored away. You can see from the photos the stage of completion the car is in. All the underseal has been removed and painted smooth. The outside of the car is yet to be painted, I was going to do that when it was on its wheels. I have the engine from a 20VT passat that I was going to fit. This has been stripped down. PM me if you are interested in some or all the car. No silly offers like £300 for the shell please, I spent months stripping and painting the underside. I am still very reluctant to sell it so I won't accept any silly offers. I will just keep it and maybe finish it about 10 years time, LOL.
There are too many online users to list.