Skip navigation

Cabriolet Restoration

Back to the top

Cabriolet Restoration

if you go 18T make sure you have some spare rear diffs knocking around as iirc they tend to destroy themselves quite easily this could just be a myth tho

what about 16v turbo they are pretty good engines to have depepnds on your budget

the car looks ace by the way

Back to the top
What parts to you need to turbo the 16V. What power output is achievable and what needs to be done to the standard 16V engine. Is there any threads for this conversion.

Back to the top

yannyboy said

What parts to you need to turbo the 16V. What power output is achievable and what needs to be done to the standard 16V engine. Is there any threads for this conversion.

clubgti do a search for the wolf R username toyotec he has a 280 bhp one  :lol: running megasquirt amazing bit of kit he will be able to give you a complete list of bits needed

Back to the top

Back to the top
Cheers Ben. Do you think its alot more involved compared to the 1.8T conversion you did? How easy is a 1.8T modified with the K04 turbo?

Back to the top
on a cost front about the same to do easier to do 18T astheres no internal work needed just custom brackets mounts ect not alot in it tbh

18T with ko4 is where you want to be i guess 260 bhp easy its all down to preference and cost i guess

g60 is ok but im not a lover of chargers tbh when they go bang its ?600 to get it repaired least with a turbo they are not to bad price wise

you could always start with an ABF lump standard then charge it later ?

Back to the top
Front suspension done, coilovers and urethane bushes.

More updates soon. :D  :D

Back to the top
Great project, cant wait to see how it comes on.

Why do you want to change the dash, the mk3 looks good.

Graham
(Boraboy on most other forums)

Cabrio GTI  Now in Lhasa Green with running 1.8T AJQ on OEM management.
Coming to bits again for more mods after reading to much on here…
Oh yeah, and a Golf V GT TDi

Back to the top
Haven't decided on the interior yet. Still got a hundred and one jobs before that. Popular thing now is keeping original dash and trimming in leather. May go that route, still deciding. :?  :?

Back to the top
Orginal dash trimmed in leather, but what colour leather would you go for?

Back to the top
Might possibly try a Mark5 Polo dash. Would be a bit of a challenge. Got to still find the engine before all that. :?

Back to the top
There has been a few polo dashs in golfs though, so shouldn't be too hard to find information on it.

Back to the top
Got the engine recently. It came out of a Passat so I know it will need a few changes, manifolds, turbo, but I am planning to fit the K04 anyway. It came with all ancilleries and I picked it up for ?150.
Since I am planning to fit a later dash, I might possibly transfer complete loom from the Mark4 Golf and run the engine on standard ECU.

Back to the top
Been a bit slow with the restoration. Still shopping for various parts. Will be putting rear beam on car at the weekend as I now have all the poly bushes. Also picked these items up at the weekend which I have sandblasted and painted.

These are the rear brake carriers. As you can see from the previous photos, my syncro had rear drums so I wanted to uprate to discs. Unfortunately the carriers were only found on vehicles with syncro running gear which makes them almost impossible to find. I ended up getting them from a guy in the Netherlands. Once the carriers are fitted, I can the fit the calipers from any rear disc set up. Might go for the Mark 4 aluminium calipers.
I will post more at the weekend when I get the rear suspension on.

Back to the top
Got the ream beam on today.

Powerflex bushes.

Will try and get rear wishbones and rear diff on soon.
 :)  :)  :)

Back to the top
Got rear diff. cleaned up, painted and refitted.

Wishbones next.  :D  :D  :D

Back to the top
nice work yanny im very interested in the way you have mounted the rear beam do you have any pics of the mods to the sill area was it cut purely due to the rear wishbones or did the beam catch ?

also the beam mounting points do the line up with the mk1 bolts ? looks very good
 :wink:

Back to the top
The ream beam mounting brackets nearly line up and one hole has to be opened up maybe 2-3mm. Also since the syncro mount has three holes and the standard Mark1 ream beam only has 2, you need to weld or fabricate a plate for the third hole.
The rear sill section does need to be cut for the rear beam to be fitted.
Found this pic which shows rear sill section a little clearer.

Back to the top
Got around to pressing the rear bearing and hub into the rear wishbone,

with my hydraulic press.

After about an hour I came to the conclusion that if I can press these bearings in, I can press any bearing in. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Trial fitted the wishbone

Unfortunately I have found that my rear coilover won't fit. It's too long so I need to find a different coilover. I was wondering if a coilover from a syncro/rallye or a universal might fit. Any suggestions? :banghead:  :banghead:

Back to the top
Can't help but cracking resto mate, esp. in such a short time 8)

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.