Skip navigation

Cabriolet Restoration

Back to the top

Cabriolet Restoration

I have owned my Cabriolet for about 5 years and after using it now and again at weekends, I have decided to give it a complete nut and bolt restoration with a few MINOR tweaks. :lol:  :lol:

I decided that if I was going to do the restoration properly I would need a rotisserie to turn the car. I saw a message on the website advertising  a rotisserie for ?100. So I bought it and started the stripdown.
Here's a picture of the car practically stripped on the rotisserie.

And heres the car about a week later with the underseal stripped off. What a job that was. :x

It was at this point where I was going to do a really clean restoration with a few mods, but thought why not try something a bit special. So after putting a few messages up on a few websites and scrawling through Ebay, I managed to find someone breaking a Mark2 Golf Synchro. I managed to get the complete running gear (gearbox, rear axle, driveshafts, propshaft) for a very nice price. :D  :D

I will be fitting it with the 1.8T engine.
So I am now at the stage of trying to trial fit the running gear. I have read a few articles of this conversion being done, in particular Ben Leachs subtle creation but if anyone has any knowledge of this conversion or any helpful advice, then let me know.
I will keep the updates going in every stage of the conversion. :)

Back to the top
extensive project there mate, but good work... underseal is a pain of a job to get off

1983 Golf 1.3 Driver:  

Back to the top
This has been my long term plan for my 83 GTi cab, I will watch this restore with lots of interest.

I believe there is a USA guy on vwvortex that did this conversion in a mk1 with details, I will try and find it.

Great progress made so far, whats with the shell painted black now or is that work you have done to the rear and side panels?

Madone with the two Cabs 82 (UK RHD) and 85 (US LHD) (92 sold)

Back to the top
Yes, I was going to paint it black without stripping it completely  a while back, but changed my mind. :?
I think I found that topic on the Vortex website but I think the guy used the complete Synchro floorpan and he built the car for racing purposes.

Back to the top

yannyboy said

Yes, I was going to paint it black without stripping it completely  a while back, but changed my mind. :?
I think I found that topic on the Vortex website but I think the guy used the complete Synchro floorpan and he built the car for racing purposes.

yep that is the one on vwvortex. I've not seen anything else on the forums on this.

Back to the top
Wow, this should be one cracking conversion - I look forward to the updates.

Will you be losing the MK3 dash?!

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
I probably will change the dash but haven't decided on which dash to fit. It originally had a Mark3 GTI engine and because I fitted the Mark3 dash, I swapped the entire wiring loom from the Mark3 GTI. That way it was all plug and play and the engine run off the standard ECU.

Back to the top
That's going to be awesome!

Cant wait to see it in the flesh.

Banner

Back to the top

ew said

That's going to be awesome!

Cant wait to see it in the flesh.

Chelmsford!

Hopefully see it at one of our meets in the future!

:D

Back to the top
I can tell you a nice mk2 dashboard will go well in a mk1 cab or even a 1980's BMW dash.

Back to the top
I will definately bring it down to an Essex meet when its finished.

Back to the top
And you can bring yourself before it's finished - be glad to see ya whatever you're driving!!   :D

Back to the top
I have trial fitted the rear axle. I used the original rear mount studs. The Synchro mounting plates needed slight adjustment.

As you can see, the spare wheel well has had to be removed and the sill slightly trimmed at the rear.

I trial fitted the wishbone and it is in the right place in the middle of the rear wheel arch. :)  :)

The added advantage of the 4wd conversion is that the car will have fully independent suspension all round. :D  :D
I will keep the updates going when I make a bit more progress.

Back to the top
:y: great work! and should get away from the lights a bit quick when it's finished

whats your plan for the fuel tank?

'82 Black 1600 GTI - Getting Better

Back to the top
indeed very interesting i have a mk1 sat on the drive which was going to get the synchro running gear

keep the updates coming

Back to the top
I am not 100% sure about the fuel tank. Obviously the original won't fit, so I can get a custom tank made like the Ben Leach project, or possibly a race type tank that could fit in the boot. Anybody got any advice or opinions? :?

Back to the top
boot mounted tank i think you can find a cheap alternative like boat tanks :wink:

Back to the top

Update

Things have been a bit slow on my Cabriolet due to work, but I have made some progress.
I have fabricated and welded a beam across the rear of car to strengthen it and provide a support  for the rear axle to mount to.

Also I have fitted the gearbox and fabricated mounts for the propshaft to attach to. The rear section of the prop has been removed, as it needs to be shortened.

I will keep the updates going when I hopefully can spend more time on the car. :)  :)  :)

Back to the top
Just about finished the floor pan ready to bolt the Synchro 4wd running gear. :D  :D  :D

More updates soon hopefully. :)  :)

Back to the top
Engine bay prep'd and painted. :D  :D  :D

Synchro running gear in background in need of a bit of restoration.
Need to find an engine for the project. 1.8T seems the obvious choice although I have considered the G60. Might be an easier conversion but will it have enough potential with the 4wd system. :?  :?
What do you guys think?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.