Skip navigation

Why aren't you a member

Back to the top

Why aren't you a member

chriswizz said

From when was ?20 a lot of money?

(bet I get slagged off for saying that)

But come on its not even half a tank of petrol!

Just put 39p a week in a jar, and in one years time………join.

Then this club won't be the sinking ship club GTi is.

I agree totally..
It would be abit better if we did get a proper membership card tho..

but like you say, whats ?20, its not a lot, and lets face it, if you've got a mk1 and a pc and use this forum, surely you can spare ?20…

But I'll probably get slated for that as well

Back to the top
so ?20 isnt a lot of money…………how about all those who think that ?20 is peanuts pay for the users who cant afford/warrant or dont see the need to pay as the "benefits" dont swing it?

what about instead of all the ????????? talk people accept as it stands theres a choice, pay or not pay………I wouldnt post less either way and maintaining my mk1 and all the other mk1`s i have owned is MY way of keeping the mk1 alive and passing on my knowledge, if i have posted something that helped someone ever? how do you quantify that? i potentially could have saved someone hundreds of ? maybe :dontknow:

prehaps we should go the whole hog and "banish" non paid users (despite their knowledge) from contributing or have limited access to site areas……yeah that would be soooooooo productive and helpfull to everyone with a mk1…………………………………………NOT :banghead:

92 Sportline in Flash Red, Standard **SOLD**

91 G60 Corrado in Aqua Blue pearl

91 Rallye Golf, Tornado Red, AMD tuned to 220bhp 227 flb torque 9j x16 Borbet B alloys

1985 B Alpine white mk2 Golf Gti

Back to the top

Topoftherange said

so ?20 isnt a lot of money…………how about all those who think that ?20 is peanuts pay for the users who cant afford/warrant or dont see the need to pay as the "benefits" dont swing it?

what about instead of all the ????????? talk people accept as it stands theres a choice, pay or not pay………I wouldnt post less either way and maintaining my mk1 and all the other mk1`s i have owned is MY way of keeping the mk1 alive and passing on my knowledge, if i have posted something that helped someone ever? how do you quantify that? i potentially could have saved someone hundreds of ? maybe :dontknow:

prehaps we should go the whole hog and "banish" non paid users (despite their knowledge) from contributing or have limited access to site areas……yeah that would be soooooooo productive and helpfull to everyone with a mk1…………………………………………NOT :banghead:

All i was saying is that i feel my ?20 contribution to the club helps pay for this site in the first place.
?20 isnt peanuts, but to have this site up and running, its pennies weekly and i dont have anything from the so called benefits and i see just this site as a benefit in itself..
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but if everyone takes the same one then with no money coming into the club, it would fail to exist then all the help that a lot of people put up wouldnt be available for anyone.

I agree, there shouldnt be discrimination to those who pay and those who dont. I have donated my 5 pence per day for all the knowledge and info the site brings for me as i'm not technically minded enough to create my own posts helping others out.

Back to the top
Just like others i joined mid year, but i will be paying for membership in 2008  8)

1989 VW GOLF GTI CABRIO

1997 VW POLO 1.0L

2003 VW PASSAT TDI 130 SPORT

Back to the top
joined late in the year, and my car keeps having accidents and break ins and keeping her running has to come first, i have a feeling ive got membership for my birthday - very early in january so yeah, failing that the cheque will be in the post.

anyone got a spare steering rack?

Back to the top
Personally is see no difference between paid up members and no paying scrounging skinflint low life's that get it for free and expect others to sub the clubs survival and don't care about anything other than themselves.
We are all one in the same, one big happy mk1 family. :lol:

Dont ask what your club can do for you, but what can you do for your club?

Back to the top

A5OPY said

Personally is see no difference between paid up members and no paying scrounging skinflint low life's that get it for free and expect others to sub the clubs survival and don't care about anything other than themselves.
We are all one in the same, one big happy mk1 family. :lol:
:roll:  :roll:  :roll:   now now :lol:

Back to the top
Without this site my littlerolf would have been in the scrap yard a long time ago,  the site has saved his life time and time again!  It took me about 6 months to sign up and become a member and I've now been one now for about 3 years. I think the membership fee it was worth it as I feel I'm giving something back and keeping the site going which is the more important then what discounts you can get.

On the plus the discounts are good and I've already made my ?20 back this year when buying my new tyres and also on my insurance poilcy.

I think the desicion was made at Gaydon to make the membership a rolling one from the date you join but im not sure if this has been implemented yet.

I think the people on here are great, the information and huge amount of knowledge is fantastastic. Weve just bought our 2nd Mk1 and no doubt will be needing help and advice with that in a few months.

I dont think membership should be forced apon people if they dont want to join, at the end of the day without there input member or not the site wouldnt be as great as it is.

Also I think this is the friendlist vw site I've been on.

(check out my new car post well excited)

Yorkshire Region Host

Mk1 Cabriolet 1500 (under resto)

Mk1 GTI

Back to the top

Topoftherange said

Where did that come from :dontknow:

With a membership to support the site it will always be around and I cant see any point in withholding any knowledge from those who pay or not.  It is a choice that the individual will take, thats what it is, a choice.  Whether people join because they get a lot from the forum or benefits that save them money in other areas, it's a choice.  I know the commitee are working on a new lot of discounts from various companies to encourage people to maybe making the steps towards being a member.  The more members there are the greater the benefit for them.

Dont know where all this 'them and us' thing comes from really.  As far as I can see there is an equal donation of information from those who are members and those who are not.  Not being a member of this site really doesn't say that their passion for the Mk1 is any less than someone who has paid subs.  Those that do will help to develop the only site wholly devoted to the mk1, obviously there are other sites out there that cater for the mk1, but not like this one.  That is why I choose to pay and share knowledge with other like minded people.

Banner

Back to the top
:| It stems from the original forum post (elsewhere) berating new members asking repeat questions that may have already be answered, during that long list of advice and general ranting it also made reference to "non members" and their commitment and involvement in the site being questionable to the enthusiasm for the mk1 as they dont pay fees, etc etc………..

Seemed like a bit of a "Nazi" slant on getting peoples guilt money?

this thread was started by crazyquiff on the back of that…….i will let you do the search for it  :wink:

91 Rallye Golf, Tornado Red, AMD tuned to 220bhp 227 flb torque 9j x16 Borbet B alloys

Back to the top
I know it may be vague, but i am slightly confused as to what the benefit is for me, as i am living outside the UK :)

Bjarke R?nn Knudsen

'89 Golf Cabrio 1,8 White Ed.

Back to the top

Topoftherange said

:| It stems from the original forum post (elsewhere) berating new members asking repeat questions that may have already be answered, during that long list of advice and general ranting it also made reference to "non members" and their commitment and involvement in the site being questionable to the enthusiasm for the mk1 as they dont pay fees, etc etc………..

Seemed like a bit of a "Nazi" slant on getting peoples guilt money?

this thread was started by crazyquiff on the back of that…….i will let you do the search for it  :wink:

I cant find it but I've been away for abit, if so, that stinks :(

Banner

Back to the top
it was entitled "Advice for new members" or something? it was posted by another moderator 8O

i just searched for it and it "seems" to have disapeared :roll:  mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Back to the top
you lot have no tact.

anyone noticed the lack of response from the originater of this thread?

Back to the top
yeah maybe........maybe only selling parts to paid members is on the cards???????? :lol:

Back to the top

Topoftherange said

yeah maybe……..maybe only selling parts to paid members is on the cards???????? :lol:
that's not true just cause Ive just bought a new engine for ?10 off a fellow "member" (after we did our secret handshake) has nothing to do with it  :lol:  :lol:

Back to the top
oh rather.....when are you popping to "the lodge" to pick it up...what :wink:

Back to the top

Topoftherange said

oh rather…..when are you popping to "the lodge" to pick it up…what :wink:
we prefare to call it the "sump"

Back to the top

A5OPY said

Topoftherange said

oh rather…..when are you popping to "the lodge" to pick it up…what :wink:
we prefare to call it the "sump"
:hand: your luck I'm talking to you really

Back to the top

Topoftherange said

it was entitled "Advice for new members" or something? it was posted by another moderator 8O

i just searched for it and it "seems" to have disapeared :roll:  mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

The original post was called something like 'How to get the best answers to your technical questions' and it seems to have been removed  :dontknow:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.