Skip navigation

Why aren't you a member

Back to the top

Why aren't you a member

I think it's definitely money well spent. We've saved stacks because of all the advice and guidance on here.

In my first year of membership (which wasn't a full year) Ross's guide gave hubby the know-how and confidence to replace my cabby roof for example. I made extra donations that year on the back of that.

I know all of this would be available to me anyway, paid member or not, but since discovering the site, I've thought it was important to do my bit to keep it running, and since being invited to be a mod I've seen just how much work goes on (unpaid) by everyone behind the scenes to keep it running.

Then there's all the friends we've made through the site too.

?20? What does that buy you these days?

Back to the top
I willingly pay as MK1s/VWs/motors are my interest. I'm on here most days so prob good value for ? so I want to help keep the show on the road.

I enjoy the banter and hope that I do occasionally contribute some useful stuff in answering queries etc.

If I was just dipping in and out I prob wouldn't want to pay though.

Also I have detected recently a 'us and them' and 'holier than thou' type of approach from some existing members which would put me off if I was new here.

I'd prefer to keep payments voluntary and free access to all rather than have different levels and stuff depending on what you had paid. People that haven't paid still contribute a lot of expertise and knowledge. Once onboard they then might join and pay later.

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top

debs said

I think it's definitely money well spent. We've saved stacks because of all the advice and guidance on here.

In my first year of membership (which wasn't a full year) Ross's guide gave hubby the know-how and confidence to replace my cabby roof for example. I made extra donations that year on the back of that.

I know all of this would be available to me anyway, paid member or not, but since discovering the site, I've thought it was important to do my bit to keep it running, and since being invited to be a mod I've seen just how much work goes on (unpaid) by everyone behind the scenes to keep it running.

Then there's all the friends we've made through the site too.

?20? What does that buy you these days?

Lap dance? 8O  8O  8O

Speeding is like masturbation, everyone does it ,but it's not something you should record and put on the internet!! 

Back to the top
I paid my ?20 to help contribute and keep the club alive, without funds clubs fail.

Also i got a discount on my insurance from Footman James for being a member of the Mk1 Owners Club. I beleive it was 10% which worked out as ?18…

I do feel the merchandise range should be expanded and pushed more. Most other clubs i have ever belonged to have provided an annual or 1/4ly news letter featuring owners cars, parts for sale etc. Admitidly the Jowet car club "mag" Jowettear" or something was total rubbish but still so bad it was funny.

Garage:
83 Mk1 Golf GTi Campaign - Mars Red - Totally Standard
78 Honda Civic 1200 Hondamatic - Silver
07 Honda Civic ES 2.2 CDi - Black, all the options!

Back to the top
My first year of membership saved me ?100 on insurance and the second year ?80, wahey!!!

I'm now mk1less, ahhhhhhh!
Gone but not forgotten;
'83 Schwarze black GTi
'83 Lhasa green GTi
'80 Indiana Red Met. GLS

Back to the top
i have saved no money but what i have got is loads of info for 20? and thats priceless i wont be a gsydon as i live to far away if no one payed this great site would be gone i have tryed other sites but there not a patch on this site if your skint thats fair enough but its 20? i will be getting a membership next year so i say keep up the good work lads :wink:  oh and girls

Back to the top
Its only ?20, it worth that for my 5 gold stars alone!

Maybe try, pay per post for non members?

Penny per post, some people would be on nearly ?30  8O

www.cw-se.com

"Video et taceo"

Back to the top
I am a member, I got at least ?20 discount for my insurance at footman james and also get money off at GSF so it's worth it in monetary terms.

However, I might not join next year. I asked a moderator to do me a favour and email someone for me, and do you think they could be bothered?

Peter.

1980 1600 GTI, daily driver.

Back to the top

tallpete said

I am a member, I got at least ?20 discount for my insurance at footman james and also get money off at GSF so it's worth it in monetary terms.

However, I might not join next year. I asked a moderator to do me a favour and email someone for me, and do you think they could be bothered?

Peter.

Which moderator did you PM? And have they definitely received it, ie read the PM, is it in your Sentbox or Outbox?

Also, is there a strong reason why they needed to be emailed, instead of a PM sent?

Back to the top
why not put it to a vote is it wort 20? or not :dontknow:

Back to the top

paul_c said

We're definitely going to offer continuous membership, its going to be launched very very soon (just waiting on the actual membership benefits package details, before I can launch it).

I must be lucky as I joined in October (I think) & when my 'pack' came thru it said my membership was valid until the same date in 2008  :D

?20 to help keep this site going is a small price to pay…. in my humble opinion, but there definately should also be access to those that don't want to join.

After all, we all love the Mk1  :borg:

Back to the top
Which moderator did you PM? And have they definitely received it, ie read the PM, is it in your Sentbox or Outbox?

Also, is there a strong reason why they needed to be emailed, instead of a PM sent?

Yeah, it was you, I wanted you to email someone who wasn't answering his PMs, you replied,

"Its not really something we can get into, sorry."

And I thought to myself, I have been here a long time, since the campaign register in fact, and the first time I ask for a relatively small favour, I get that.

Peter.

Back to the top
I'll stand by that. Basically its true, we can't arbitrate in the case of for sale/wanted transactions. The classifieds is one of the busiest areas and a lot of trade goes on, we'll look at major issues but we can't offer an arbirtation service. If it was unrelated to the classifieds, then the same applies really.

I think it comes down to people's expectations, me as a committee member and the others (and moderators) volunteer our time, for free, to try our best and run things. You might not have noticed but a couple of the committee are not so prominent on here, so they're not involved in the day-to-day things. In any case, I don't concentrate on moderating because it would soak up too much of my available time. I look more at the technical side of running the site, things sometimes crop up which need my immediate attention and also a number of the features which are upcoming, have been/are being custom-written. This is a slow process, its far from simply adding a module or cutting and pasting a code sample, its all written from scratch. Also bear in mind that the dubboy and I were 'handed over' the site as an ongoing thing, we didn't write the original stuff (which is not really documented) and some aspects need to be 'reverse engineered' to understand them when they go wrong too.

I also come on here to post comments, progress, contribute here & there to technical issues, etc just like everyone else.

So, apologies, I personally am unable to get too involved in the day-to-day stuff. I am concentrating more on the 'big issues' which are going to be seen in the future.

Back to the top
I'll be looking to join up for next year. I already get a discount at GSF, because I've got to know them so well as I need parts for my cars pretty much every week :lol:

But I think it's worth it to join, it's a good website with a great classifieds section. The one thing this place needs is a readers rides section to put a full profile of cars and progress up.
I know there are the modification and resto sections but these areas are full of general questions as well as build threads. I think you'd get more interest and people staying on the site longer if they could read through a readers ride section. Perhaps you could also have a non-mk1 readers rides section too, for vag cars or other marques. I know it's a MK1 website but it'd create a better atmosphere on here IMO.

Oh and get rid of the 'new folks' area, that should be a 'sticky' thread on the top of the general chat bit. It's too dis-jointed at the minute.

Mk1 Golf floor mats - for tin top and cabriolet - Zero7796 17298Five

Back to the top
Ill vouch for paul_c on the time consuming thing! code can be a nightmare! each coder writes in a slightly diff way so being handed someone elses coding for a website can well be more hassle than actually re-writing the whole thing!

I take my hat off to you paul_c as you do a wonderful job keeping the site up and running!

Back to the top
That reply must have taken ages to write

Back to the top
i dont pay because my mk1 is not on the road and i only joined not so long ago but will probably pay for 2008 but probably wont go to gaydon as:
1. i dont know where it is
2. my golf is in an unworthy state

cheers :lol:

Back to the top
im not a member because
1. gaydon is too far for me to benifit. plus its only a tenner anyway
2. wont benifit from the insurence discount,
3. can get parts cheap through work from vw aswell as gsf and ecp
4. never really got round to doing it to be quite honest

but i would become a member because the site is usefull with links tips etc etc but then again everywhere else like other forums you can access this info anyway :dontknow:

i always have the last laugh ;)

Login to a private Photobucket.com album

ERROR: A link was posted here (url) but it appears to be a broken link.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f27/sim0n_parker/paulforwebsite.jpg

<a href="

ERROR: A link was posted here (url) but it appears to be a broken link.

Login to a private Photobucket.com album

Back to the top
im not a member coz im skint and i am only here because its free is that good enough for you?

Back to the top
From when was ?20 a lot of money?

(bet I get slagged off for saying that)

But come on its not even half a tank of petrol!

Just put 39p a week in a jar, and in one years time………join.

Then this club won't be the sinking ship club GTi is.

www.cw-se.com

"Video et taceo"
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.