Skip navigation

Why aren't you a member

Back to the top

Why aren't you a member

I'm following up  from Paul_c's thread on posting technical questions which has verred off into a "member" or "no member" rant.

Thought it would be useful to open this thread for some constructive discussion on why forum users have decided not to be come a member of the club.

There's good reasons to join - see The Mk1 Golf Owners Club for some of them.

For me the main reasons for membership are:

Supporting this forum financially
Free entry to Gaydon
Furthering the Mk1 Cause - shows etc

Your comments will be useful to the committee as they prepare the 2008 benefits package.

Cheers

Rich

Crazyquiff's Mk1 Golf Parts Emporium

www.golfmk1.co.uk - you know you want to….

Back to the top
I'm not a member because it is still 20 quid for 2007 - there are only 15 days left.
This would put some people off even if there were 6 months left. I know the potential savings could be grater than the memebership fee - but only if you use them. I also understand that the 20 quid probably covers the admin costs, but why does it have to start and finish on Jan 1st?

Why can't you join at any time in the year and get a years membership?
Or am i missing something?

Back to the top

huw169 said

I'm not a member because it is still 20 quid for 2007 - there are only 15 days left.
This would put some people off even if there were 6 months left. I know the potential savings could be grater than the memebership fee - but only if you use them. I also understand that the 20 quid probably covers the admin costs, but why does it have to start and finish on Jan 1st?

Why can't you join at any time in the year and get a years membership?
Or am i missing something?

I agree totally. I begrugingly paid ?20 in august for only 4 months membership..
still waiting on the info on 'how to get discounts' so If i've ordered anything I've always said I'm a member and normally get something…
Plus there are no membership numbers or members cardas, something most places ask for as 'proof of membership'

But i totally agree with Crazyquiff. paying up as a member for the info on this forum and keeping the site going is worth it in itself,
what we have to remember, if no one joins up, then no money coming in and the site would close..

I feel the best options would be various levels..
full forum use only, ?5 a year.. Not a lot of money..
Basic use of forum, a donotion of a ?1

But most imprtant and to get members in the joining fee if not managed every month should be pro-rata..  to make things easier, say ?24 for year if joined in January, then knock off ?2 for each month thats passes, say you join in august, then 4 months of year left, only pay ?8 membership????

Back to the top
We're definitely going to offer continuous membership, its going to be launched very very soon (just waiting on the actual membership benefits package details, before I can launch it). So basically, you'll get a year of membership from the day you pay for a full year. Ideally I'd have liked to launch it before, like mid-November, but we need to be spot on with next year's benefits, which are still being negotiated. (Memberships for 2007 are now suspended, if you aren't a member and join now, we'll put it on hold until 2008).

Back to the top
I'd happily join but I think the policy to offer membership from fixed period dates is a little awkward.

I'm not having a go but if I could join today and my membership expire in 12 months then I'd do it!

I missed joining last year and by the time I got round to it I felt it'd be worth waiting for the next year to come round!

1990 MX5 Mazda
2003 VW Passat 130 Sport
Sylva Fury 'blade powered…

Back to the top

mclannahan said

I'd happily join but I think the policy to offer membership from fixed period dates is a little awkward.

As paul_c says…

We're definitely going to offer continuous membership, its going to be launched very very soon (just waiting on the actual membership benefits package details, before I can launch it). So basically, you'll get a year of membership from the day you pay for a full year.

Crazyquiff's Mk1 Golf Parts Emporium

www.golfmk1.co.uk - you know you want to….

Back to the top

mclannahan said

I'm not having a go but if I could join today and my membership expire in 12 months then I'd do it!

I missed joining last year and by the time I got round to it I felt it'd be worth waiting for the next year to come round!

Putting this aside (which it will be, very soon, everything is ready to launch except the final confirming details from dubboy/committee)…..what else is there?

Back to the top
Im not a "paid" member partly because……i didnt realise the membership only ran from jan to jan……..which is fair enough as it would be hard for a membership secretary to keep up with everyone………but as said if your not in at the start you feel your paying for something you have not had

secondly i live absolutely miles from Gaydon!!!!!!! and saving a tenner on entrance fee on what would be a 600 mile round trip dont sway it for me :wink:  

and thirdly and most dissapointing of all, is that of all the VW shows i have attended the most cars on the mk1 oc stand i have seen has been about 5………so its apparent a lot of members cars are either on other club stands? un roadworthy/projects and cant drive them or……..they cant be bothered? i think the latter is fair assumption as there are hundreds of running cars registered!!

And like the point was raised on "the other thread" there seems to be this "elitist" looking down at mere "web users" encouragement to join and drumming up trade is surely better than having a pop at those that have not paid for whatever reason, I must have asked about 10 times if i can purchase a club sticker and its never been responded to, so i have given up asking, which makes me wonder if i did pay up? would i ever get a membership pack? and a sticker?

92 Sportline in Flash Red, Standard **SOLD**

91 G60 Corrado in Aqua Blue pearl

91 Rallye Golf, Tornado Red, AMD tuned to 220bhp 227 flb torque 9j x16 Borbet B alloys

1985 B Alpine white mk2 Golf Gti

Back to the top

paul_c said

mclannahan said

Putting this aside (which it will be, very soon, everything is ready to launch except the final confirming details from dubboy/committee)…..what else is there?

Just that really Paul - Nothing else. I've toyed with getting rid of my MK1 quite a few times too, each time I have it's put me off joining, especially if there's limited months left in the year.

I think Club GTi had this issue too and dropped their membership down to ?10. I'm not suggesting this for a minute but I know it increased their membership list considerably! I'm not sure how they compare with this site though?

Many thanks

1990 MX5 Mazda
2003 VW Passat 130 Sport

Back to the top
to be quite frank, why should i become a member? crazy has noted the benefits of discounts.
dartford tyres are round the corner from me and are quite easily 10% cheaper than black circle. even if they were not, i'd still use dartford tyres. excellent service is worth a little more, just happens they charge a little less.
 brakes 4 u? have you tried to use their website? i'm not  fan of ebc stuff and that is all they do. can't find out how much they are because of the site!
 gayden? same as totp.
 insurance? no club membership has ever made any difference to any insurance i have ever had.
club gti is ?5 more a year and offers ?10 savings on club track days. that i'll use. also sends 4 rabbits a year. i enjoy the read.

i'm not being harsh here, just realistic. i will not ever benefit from the benefits offered. i think the forum is great and very useful, but i've had mk1 golfs since about 15 years ago. i managed without a forum up till what, a year, nine months ago? i'll survive without one.

that doesn't mean i will not be contributing next year, but it is the truth as i see it.

Back to the top
Seeing as you're asking……..

Personally I'm not a member because I don't see what difference i will make to me.

I come on the forum and enjoy the banter and the technical info people share and the general community involved (for the main part, anyway). Becoming a member will not change this for me.

As regards the benefits stuff; I get discount on all my service parts by patronising my local parts shops and I don't see myself coming to Gaydon due to other shows I will be going to and the limited time I have off work and other holidays etc. Even if I do decide to go then I can still go, it will not affect whether i can get in.

I just don't see how I will benefit.

Yradave says relax.

Back to the top
club gti has gone down to ?10?

!

Back to the top

wooders said

club gti has gone down to ?10?

!

Yup….

http://www.clubgti.com/members/apply_online.php

1990 MX5 Mazda
2003 VW Passat 130 Sport

Back to the top
Massive savings from GSF Car Parts
GSF Car Parts have helped many of our members save more money through exclusive special offers to Club GTI Members. Country-wide GSF offer 10% OFF any purchase for club members. This discount opportunity alone will help most enthusiasts make their Club GTI membership pay for itself alone!

www.gsfcarparts.com
webmaster@gsfcarparts.com
Tel : 0208 917 3800

that is a discount that i think a majority of us would use.

Back to the top

wooders said

Massive savings from GSF Car Parts
GSF Car Parts have helped many of our members save more money through exclusive special offers to Club GTI Members. Country-wide GSF offer 10% OFF any purchase for club members. This discount opportunity alone will help most enthusiasts make their Club GTI membership pay for itself alone!

www.gsfcarparts.com
webmaster@gsfcarparts.com
Tel : 0208 917 3800

that is a discount that i think a majority of us would use.

Way ahead of you there :wink:

Banner

Back to the top
best ?20 i spend a year,its 12 months of peace from the mrs,well cheap,?20 is the equivalent to an hour in the pub,and what do you get for that? a hangover  :lol:
I will pay 2008 no worries
Bert

Thats not a rod knockin,its a diesel stupid! floppy top and 1 tin top

Back to the top
makes me wish i had a taller horse

Back to the top

yradave said

Seeing as you're asking……..

Personally I'm not a member because I don't see what difference i will make to me.

I come on the forum and enjoy the banter and the technical info people share and the general community involved (for the main part, anyway). Becoming a member will not change this for me.

I just don't see how I will benefit.

As Kennedy once said
 "Don't ask what my country can do for me but what can i do for my country"

I pay my money because of what i get out of the site , the sheer entertainment value. oh i did get ?15 off my carpet at newtons but that's not the reason I joined, without cash this club would be no more.
The benefits of this club are as far as i see are not tangible.
but just entertaining and informative.
if you are unable to afford the fee due to your current financial circumstances that's fine and understandable.
I just feel uneasy knowing the clubs survival depends on membership fees
and getting the pleasure i do for free just don't feel right.

Dont ask what your club can do for you, but what can you do for your club?

Back to the top
:lol:  Free pleasures are all that some have :wink:

92 Sportline in Flash Red, Standard **SOLD**

91 G60 Corrado in Aqua Blue pearl

91 Rallye Golf, Tornado Red, AMD tuned to 220bhp 227 flb torque 9j x16 Borbet B alloys

1985 B Alpine white mk2 Golf Gti

Back to the top
It costs less than 40p a week, nobody's tryin to get rich, its helpful and you can sometimes have a laugh. 8)

mk1 silver campaign totally standard lowered on coilovers magic tree vanilla

Just had a full outer body restore
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.