Skip navigation

Next project - REALLY big engined MK1 Golf!

Back to the top

Next project - REALLY big engined MK1 Golf!

paul_c said

poppyg60 said

there`s potentually (spelling) enough power to be gained from a vw lump with a turbo strap to it t push a mk1 across the line as quick as that jet engined van, i`ve managed a 91mph 8th of a mile at pod with engine problems in my mk1, with a lot less work than cutting welding in a V8 block,

What engine and setup?

vr turbo

Back to the top

poppyg60 said

paul_c said

poppyg60 said

there`s potentually (spelling) enough power to be gained from a vw lump with a turbo strap to it t push a mk1 across the line as quick as that jet engined van, i`ve managed a 91mph 8th of a mile at pod with engine problems in my mk1, with a lot less work than cutting welding in a V8 block,

What engine and setup?

vr turbo

In a Mk1? Any pics???

Back to the top
Any chance this post could be moved to the appropriate section MK1 chat.
seems other post are moved with a similar thread topic and content.

Dont ask what your club can do for you, but what can you do for your club?

Back to the top
one word hayabusa

Back to the top
150PD engine with a remap to 191 bhp and it will be perfect for a 850kg mk1 golf,i did a timing belt on one and had to test drive it,wow thats enough said,and it will do 48 mpg on the way home  :wink:
Bert

Thats not a rod knockin,its a diesel stupid! floppy top and 1 tin top

Back to the top

Bert said

150PD engine with a remap to 191 bhp and it will be perfect for a 850kg mk1 golf,i did a timing belt on one and had to test drive it,wow thats enough said,and it will do 48 mpg on the way home  :wink:
Bert

Add nitrous and propane injection and you're getting somewhere…..

Back to the top

paul_c said

poppyg60 said

What engine and setup?

vr turbo

In a Mk1? Any pics???

yes mate in a mk1,  i do but i rather it wasn`t put up any where until its completely and utter sorted and running some proper qtr times

Back to the top

poppyg60 said

paul_c said

poppyg60 said

What engine and setup?

vr turbo

In a Mk1? Any pics???

yes mate in a mk1,  i do but i rather it wasn`t put up any where until its completely and utter sorted and running some proper qtr times

Will be interesting to compare. I'm building a VR6 conversion Mk1, I was going to use nitrous instead of worrying about a turbo. So, should be a good comparison. Don't be shy about the pics!

Back to the top
there was loads of room for a turbo in it giving plenty of room for removal specially after it wrong the first time, ever since its been rebuilt no problems but breaking and twisting parts,
how much NOS do plan to use, my mate uses it on his vr turbo 150bhp worth in his mk2 syncro

Back to the top

poppyg60 said

there was loads of room for a turbo in it giving plenty of room for removal specially after it wrong the first time, ever since its been rebuilt no problems but breaking and twisting parts,
how much NOS do plan to use, my mate uses it on his vr turbo 150bhp worth in his mk2 syncro

Realistically, I'll start with a 25 or 50 kit, then progressively go up to around +100bhp. With the other (not many) engine mods I should be easily seeing 200-210bhp before the Nitrous Oxide.

Back to the top
2wd ?

Back to the top

poppyg60 said

2wd ?

Yep. Here's the build thread, not too much done so far but progressing slowly forwards:

http://www.vwgolfmk1.o…ms&file=viewtopic&t=26924

As a side note, I was in the scrappy earlier today, by chance they have a VR6 in (they rarely get them), I asked on a price for the whole lot, and everything for a conversion would be ?400. Anyone interested?

Back to the top
4wd the way forward  :wink:

is it odb1 or 2?

Back to the top
4WD is too much hassle - its bad enough squeezing in the VR6. The car in the scrappy is an OBD1, its dizzy's been removed. My car - I'm unsure - it uses a coilpack but these can still be OBD1, though some guides suggest they're OBD2. In any case, I'll be running aftermarket management, so it shouldn't matter too much. I believe the MAFs are different sizes, still need to look into it. Apparently an easy upgrade is a Corrado VR6 (2.9) throttle body and MAF/induction system.

Back to the top

your throttle body should look like this for ODB2, also should from P reg car onwards,
 4wd goes in easily enough if a subframe is used , ok its alot of cutting and welding to get in but it saves on custom driveshafts and alike, stiffens the chassis too, can`t be to hard i done myself in a garage with no welding experience and turned out i was out by 1mm on the passenger side which was easily rectified, so its defo worth a crack imho

Back to the top
Doesn't using a subframe mean that you'll need to also use the Mk3 wishbones, which upsets the suspension geometry? And you can't shorten the wishbones, because you can't pass an MoT with welded ones….

Back to the top
when i constructed the new front mounts i used a mk2 frame and syncro rear frame, then i had a firm do the rest which front frame they used i don`t know, the coilover suspension sits straight, i`m still on 4 stud rims, got a feeling its was probably my old g60 syncro frame, no wishbones have been cut, the only things that were cut, themounting points and tunnel and rear floor,  oh and prop shaft ,

Back to the top
To be honest I'd have to see the car to know what's what, in your setup.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.