Skip navigation

Next project - REALLY big engined MK1 Golf!

Back to the top

Next project - REALLY big engined MK1 Golf!

Been daydreaming/thinking up my next project after the VR6 conversion. One idea I have in mind is to fit a big American V8 inline (at the front) and convert to RWD, possibly even alcohol fuelled and supercharged (should be good for 1500bhp or so). But then….well….a V8 of sorts has already been done. So, how about something altogether bigger, rarely (if ever) seen and more ambitious: A gas turbine! A little bit of research shows that a Rolls Royce/Allinson 250 engine (typically found in helicopters) is a widely available engine, and it also has a turbine which turns a shaft through a reduction box at around 3600rpm. Its (apparently) a 1 1/4" drive or thereabouts, so it should be possible to mate some kind of custom drag racing style gearbox (like for exmaple, a Lenco).

Here's a little bit of inspiration. This is an 1/8 mile pass, with a terminal speed of 96mph, I reckon that's good for around an 11 second 1/4 mile pass:

http://www.youtube.com…2EmW-00d4&feature=related

Back to the top
Just buy an old tuned 911 Turbo if ya want 11 sec 1/4`s

92 Sportline in Flash Red, Standard **SOLD**

91 G60 Corrado in Aqua Blue pearl

91 Rallye Golf, Tornado Red, AMD tuned to 220bhp 227 flb torque 9j x16 Borbet B alloys

1985 B Alpine white mk2 Golf Gti

Back to the top
In theory, the big V8 option is the easiest and most cost effective way to low ETs - its all readily available from USA (good $ rate at the moment) and the kind of engineering to fit it into a Mk1 has all been done before - rear axle, transmission, propshaft, etc etc. But, its a bit of fun to dream isn't it? In theory the V8 could be made to achieve 1000-1500bhp, the Helicopter engine option is 'only' around 700bhp or so.

Back to the top
Not that I dont think it's a crazy/fun idea, but do you really like 1/4 mile racing that much? I know it's a good laugh for the day, but dont you find running in straight lines boring, regardless of how fast you go?

Back to the top
I fear someone needs to stop you Paul before you strap yourself into a 1500bhp jet go-kart  8O  :lol:

'82 Black 1600 GTI - Getting Better

Back to the top
i think if your going for 1500bhp you'd be just as well to mould a fibreglass shell that looks like a mk1 and mount it over a jet engine!!

Back to the top
Do you reckon a 1500bhp V8 would fit in a MK1 in any shape or form? That TVR MK1 was widened 9" just to fit that V8 in and that was producing huge amounts of power.

By time you bolt a couple superchargers on to a big block to get 1500bhp you'd have to sit on top the engine with your head poking out the roof, wearing your hat and flying goggles and scarf travelling at warp speed… Actually, do it! just for the comical factor! lol

Back to the top
a tuned/charged R32 engine with DSG box in a mk1 would have the same effect as the V8, and it will fit in the car easier!!! with a charger and some other well chosen bits and mapping you could get it upto around 450 bhp which is about 400bhp per ton!!!

Failing that stick the big 572? Hemi V8 in one :lol:  that will shift (if you had ?20k to buy one!

92 Sportline in Flash Red, Standard **SOLD**

91 G60 Corrado in Aqua Blue pearl

91 Rallye Golf, Tornado Red, AMD tuned to 220bhp 227 flb torque 9j x16 Borbet B alloys

1985 B Alpine white mk2 Golf Gti

Back to the top
Did think about an R36 motor but you're still limited because of the FWD. If you're going to explore 4WD, may as well save a bit of weight, make installation easier by putting the engine inline and just doing RWD. Hence, the V8 option.

Back to the top
What about a Porsche engine of some kind? The flat six from a Boxster or Boxster S wouldn't quite make 1500bhp but it would give you a potent car with a low centre of gravity and RWD.

You could go for a 911 Turbo engine but that would probably set you back quite a bit.

Rich

Back to the top
:drool: Twin supercharged V8 strapped in the back of a Mk1

*whispery voice*build it Paul, you know you want to, build it*end whispery voice*  :lol:

'82 Black 1600 GTI - Getting Better

Back to the top
RWD v8 mk1 already on progress on US VWvortex forum, chap has basically cut the entire floor out and is making some crazy frame.

Another guy put a jet engine in the back of his new beetle.
At last check he was under investigation from the local government who were concerned of the concequences of what could happen if it 'Fell into the wrong hands' hahaha!

Jedermanns Wunschtraum…

ein Volkswagen

Back to the top
w12 :lol:

83 BBS MK1 GTI 69 T2 PANEL VAN i am back let the trouble begin :)

Back to the top
rover v8 lump will fit in a mk1  :lol:  :lol: this was the option i was looking at plus i had the chance to measure up a lump that my pal has hes keen for me to do this but im not sure a auto box will cut the mustard for me :lol:

Back to the top
other issue is where do you put the steering rack?

cos the current one is in the way of the trans and prop.

Amit

Back to the top
there`s potentually (spelling) enough power to be gained from a vw lump with a turbo strap to it t push a mk1 across the line as quick as that jet engined van, i`ve managed a 91mph 8th of a mile at pod with engine problems in my mk1, with a lot less work than cutting welding in a V8 block,

Back to the top

poppyg60 said

there`s potentually (spelling) enough power to be gained from a vw lump with a turbo strap to it t push a mk1 across the line as quick as that jet engined van, i`ve managed a 91mph 8th of a mile at pod with engine problems in my mk1, with a lot less work than cutting welding in a V8 block,

What engine and setup?

Back to the top

paulc84 said

RWD v8 mk1 already on progress on US VWvortex forum, chap has basically cut the entire floor out and is making some crazy frame.

Do you have a link? I've had a good look around and can't find the thread.

Back to the top

Topoftherange said

Failing that stick the big 572? Hemi V8 in one :lol:  that will shift (if you had ?20k to buy one!

Thats an engine!… regardless of the price, thatll sound ace!!! and go like stink 8)

1983 Golf 1.3 Driver:  

Back to the top
Jag V12, box and rear axle?

My mate was gonna do this to a mini (with him sat on the back seat!)

Not huge power but still interesting. :dontknow:

Yradave says relax.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.