Skip navigation

expensive ebay item

Back to the top

expensive ebay item

paul_c said

Its the age-old mod vs stock debate. I could ask a similar question - what's the point of buying this car, then not caning it around the local country lanes, up and down the motorway, and everywhere else for that matter - since that's what cars, and especially the Golf GTI, is designed for.

And another thing regarding the values of Campaigns vs non-Campaigns. I did a bit of research into it and the ONLY actual difference in them is the S707 option code. Every 'Campaign' option was available on a non-Campaign, or another non GTI model. And in any case, does the shape of the door pins really affect a car's value? So technically, a Campaign cannot claim to be better than a non-Campaign. The fact that the prices are higher is a moot point anyway, the true enthusiast would probably seek a non-sunroof model, which of course cannot be a Campaign.

The prices (if indeed its true) are higher because of a 'myth' which was generated by the Campaign register, in the days gone by when there were many times more abundent than they are now. They sought to differentiate themselves from other GTI owners, but with much more freely available information, the specialness of the Campaign has proven to be somewhat hollow. If anything, Campaigns have done as much to damage the values of non-Campaigns, as bolster their own values.
to put it simlpy then its all Bull Poo.

Dont ask what your club can do for you, but what can you do for your club?

Back to the top

A5OPY said

paul_c said

Its the age-old mod vs stock debate. I could ask a similar question - what's the point of buying this car, then not caning it around the local country lanes, up and down the motorway, and everywhere else for that matter - since that's what cars, and especially the Golf GTI, is designed for.

And another thing regarding the values of Campaigns vs non-Campaigns. I did a bit of research into it and the ONLY actual difference in them is the S707 option code. Every 'Campaign' option was available on a non-Campaign, or another non GTI model. And in any case, does the shape of the door pins really affect a car's value? So technically, a Campaign cannot claim to be better than a non-Campaign. The fact that the prices are higher is a moot point anyway, the true enthusiast would probably seek a non-sunroof model, which of course cannot be a Campaign.

The prices (if indeed its true) are higher because of a 'myth' which was generated by the Campaign register, in the days gone by when there were many times more abundent than they are now. They sought to differentiate themselves from other GTI owners, but with much more freely available information, the specialness of the Campaign has proven to be somewhat hollow. If anything, Campaigns have done as much to damage the values of non-Campaigns, as bolster their own values.

Life aint that simple - its still a very nice car. If you liked the body kit and the colour, then it would be a great car for a collector, due to the excellent condition. But if I were buying it (I'm not…..because I already have a silver GTI!) I'd be going over it with a thorough inspection to make sure its worth the difference. Illyun comes across as genuine and is a nice enough guy, he's just trying to get the best possible return on the investment, which is fair enough.

Back to the top

paul_c said

A5OPY said

paul_c said

Life aint that simple - its still a very nice car. If you liked the body kit and the colour, then it would be a great car for a collector, due to the excellent condition. But if I were buying it (I'm not…..because I already have a silver GTI!) I'd be going over it with a thorough inspection to make sure its worth the difference. Illyun comes across as genuine and is a nice enough guy, he's just trying to get the best possible return on the investment, which is fair enough.
fair comment.

Dont ask what your club can do for you, but what can you do for your club?

Back to the top
The reason Campaigns have traditionally brought higher prices is because they DO have all the options (!)  They were the highest spec'd factory Gti's making them more desirable to many. Of course, a non-sunroof, non-Campaign is also desirable to many too as it's free of the unnecessary stuff, so somehow 'purer' in terms of it's performance background. Not sure about the comment regarding sunroofs not being wanted by a true enthusiast. Why ? Not wanted by track racers maybe.
As far as I know the leather steering wheel and P slots were not available on non-Campaigns. And then there's the blue and grey campaign only Gti's………..
At the end of the day, you pay your money and take your choice. For me, that silver Gti is excellent. It may not be to everyone's taste now, but it sums up what was hot at the time (1983). The current view of 'old school' is a fabrication. If you're looking for true old school, that silver Gti is it in a nutshell (I'm old enough to remember the first time round !). A proper 'time-warp' motor !
Good luck with the sale !!!
Mark

Back to the top
Remember, the bbs kit was standard on a 16s, so really, with regards to mods, its no different form sticking p-slots on a non-campaign mk1!!

I'm now mk1less, ahhhhhhh!
Gone but not forgotten;
'83 Schwarze black GTi
'83 Lhasa green GTi
'80 Indiana Red Met. GLS

Back to the top
Thanks for the comments guys - couldn't have put it better myself wrt to the BBS kit.  True its not to everyone's taste - even not mine  8O  - but I kept it on for the time I owned the car - past two years -  as I just felt that it was 'born' like that and shouldn't be changed.

Back to the top
I love it, stunning car, BBS kit and rubber spoiler make it something a bit more special.

Good luck with the sale.  8)

Mk1 Golf floor mats - for tin top and cabriolet - Zero7796 17298Five

Back to the top
Im not a fan of the body kit myself but god its SO typically 1980s.. its one of those its almost so bad its good things isnt it!

I am very pleased that the seller has had the bottle to advertise thier mk1 at this price though..and post it on here.. i am so surprised that he has not recieved a total slating for "being greedy and advertising the car for almost ?3000 over the recommended value". Make me feel so much better for paying over the odds for my 68k miler…

I will be very very interested to see what this actually sells for, but i suspect he will end up pulling the auction before it ends and selling it in the spring.

Garage:
83 Mk1 Golf GTi Campaign - Mars Red - Totally Standard
78 Honda Civic 1200 Hondamatic - Silver
07 Honda Civic ES 2.2 CDi - Black, all the options!

Back to the top

Early-1800 said

Its illyun, hes on here occasionally and seems to buy and sell low milage, low owner and expensive GTIs, G60s, rallys etc  :dontknow:

Yeah thats me alright… when/if I find something better I sell the last one  :wink:   I should have sold this one months ago but just didn't get round to it so its been sitting in my garage until the tax ran out at the end of November - what a waste.  :dontknow:   I have tried to bring this Mk1 to Gaydon the last couple of years but always end up having something to do.  I've only been to Inters for the last 2 years and thats it.  

I can be found on the Mk5 section of golfgti.co.uk most days  :lol:  under the same username.  My favourite GTI has to be the Mk2 16v big bumper though  :drool:  closely followed by the Mk1 and Mk5…

Back to the top
"Superb Condition
There is no rust on this car anywhere.  All usual areas are perfect, including filler neck. "

http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=illyun&&ftab=FeedbackAsSeller&sspagename=VIP:feedback:2:uk&iid=120194904897

Probably a bit harsh calling the winning buyer a lier, possibly you need to look at how you advertise your cars fella..

I didnt see anywhere in your ad where you mention that the car needs repainting and has been resprayed badly.. yet your defence in your feedback is

"THATS WHY I SOLD THE CAR 4 HOURS LATER TO A PROFESSIONAL BODYSHOP WORKER - LIER"

I dont understand? This responce implies that the car needed to go to a professional painter to sort it out.. ?

Garage:
83 Mk1 Golf GTi Campaign - Mars Red - Totally Standard
78 Honda Civic 1200 Hondamatic - Silver
07 Honda Civic ES 2.2 CDi - Black, all the options!

Back to the top
oh dear ….lots of money involved here apparently…  :cry:

:dontknow:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.