Skip navigation

"sunroof shennanigans"

Back to the top

"sunroof shennanigans"

yea im back on't tinterweb and here's how i went on sorting the sunroof out. wish i had took more pics now looking back was too busy for all that.

Before investigation,luckily no one had cobbled it up before

the carriage tray was salvable,but this is how much i had to cut back the corrosion to

after the big weld up with hand made repair panels, a grind down and glass up,ready for a skim of filler.

there the only pics i have unfortunately,will put some up of the end result soon!

1989 caddy
1981 gti
1993 cabby

Back to the top
Great work, not an easy area to sort. Looks to be a fine job and well done.

Back to the top

Back to the top
Cracking job mate!! I've got to do this on mine but think my tray will be worse.

Did you get much distortion in the roof with the welding/grinding?

Cheers
Andy

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Distortion was hard to avoid on such a flat area using a lap joint and mig welder,a butt joint and gas weld would have been better but i only have a mig.Even though i took my time it distorted much more along the front than down the sides.Grinding did more damage than welding and it took plenty of plannishing to straighten it up the best i could and several skims off filler to finish it off.A good tip is to leave this as your last repair so u can have plenty of practise elsewhere on the car to hone your skills on less prominent area's.

1989 caddy
1981 gti
1993 cabby

Back to the top
Plannishing - that's a word I've not heard for a long time!

Again, nice job - I had planned to leave mine last for that reason. Hope I can do as good a job as you've done

Cheers
Andy

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
looking good.  Did you remove the sunroof in order to carryout the work? As my sunroof is corroded and needs replacing and I was wondering how hard a job it would be.

First Golf, lots of work. I've started so I'll finish!

Back to the top
Plannishing! Its almost extinct lol! I removed the sunroof and mechanism completely but not before the welding was finished,so i could close it and check the gap was correct. The sunroof panel was rotten underneath and needed scrapping,luckily i found a perfect mk2 one complete with mechanism and aerofoil,they are exactly the same except for the winding handle and the mk1 handle fits the mk2 no problem.A new seal from vw (?37) finished the job off nicely!

still have to paint aerofoil and screw heads!

1989 caddy
1981 gti
1993 cabby

Back to the top
Top work as usual mr rustmucher :wink: . How did you get on with the Rearbeam mounting points, i remember the post from a while ago, any pics? I have this job to look forward to in the near future :?  Was intrested in the progress.

Cheers

Pete

Back to the top
Looks cracking with the paint on! With the dust sheet (curtains?) up it looks like you've got your MK1 in your living room! :wink:

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
whats Plannishing?

Back to the top
This is my new inspiration!
 and im sure it will be to many other people of this site.

how did you get the exact curves around the sunroof pannel on the roof?
if that makes sense?

cheers
John

1983 mk1 gti 2.0l 2e powered
newman cam
ported, polished, big valve 1.8 head
audi throttle body
SWWWWEEEEEETTTTTTTT

Back to the top
Hey redpete good to hear ur still keeping mk1's alive! you will have to look back at previos posts from me as i already put the best pics up back then. sorry!

Curtains! thats my awning attached to my tempory home pikey caravan. more room than i had in the garage in manchester,i have lived in st.agnes/cornwall since may last year. much nicer than city life!

Plannishing is basicaly gently persueding the metal back to its original shape by means of tapping with a special hammer and supporting with a dolly. not easily acheived.

The exact curves-i carefully removed the old metal and used it to make an MDF plug or dolly to form the new metal over/around,bending it around the curves gently with a special stretching hammer. easy!

Happy to be an inspiration,now crack on!!!  :lol:

1989 caddy
1981 gti
1993 cabby

Back to the top
Great to see it finished, the roof looks amazing! On verge of welding my sunroof tray back in - removed to repair it and clean up rust between tray and roof skin. Fortunately have not got as much roof skin to repair as you, mainly either side of opening.

Cheers

1981 1600 GTI (coming to a road near you soon…)

1983 1100 C

Back to the top

rustmuncher said

The exact curves-i carefully removed the old metal and used it to make an MDF plug or dolly to form the new metal over/around,bending it around the curves gently with a special stretching hammer. easy!

Happy to be an inspiration,now crack on!!!  :lol:

dont spose youve got any piccys of that process or even the MDF plug still lying about at home somewhere?
 if so i would quite happily cross your hand with gold to borrow it!!!!!

John

1983 mk1 gti 2.0l 2e powered
newman cam
ported, polished, big valve 1.8 head
audi throttle body
SWWWWEEEEEETTTTTTTT

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

Looks cracking with the paint on! With the dust sheet (curtains?) up it looks like you've got your MK1 in your living room! :wink:
:lol: I bet he would if he could get away with it!!!

'91 Cabbie clipper!!

Back to the top
Wow well impressed, ive got to do mine at some point its not as bad as yours was i think (i hope!).

How did you deal with the front drain holes?

Cheers

'83 Mk1 Gti

'97 Mk3 Gti Daily hack

Back to the top

rustmuncher said

Plannishing! Its almost extinct lol! I removed the sunroof and mechanism completely but not before the welding was finished,so i could close it and check the gap was correct. The sunroof panel was rotten underneath and needed scrapping,luckily i found a perfect mk2 one complete with mechanism and aerofoil,they are exactly the same except for the winding handle and the mk1 handle fits the mk2 no problem.A new seal from vw (?37) finished the job off nicely!

still have to paint aerofoil and screw heads!

So rustmuncher, if I were to combine your comment (see quote), and this topic of Markone. (another great job by the way !! :o) It should be possible to replace my aftermarket glass sunroof with an original one?

I assume that a MK2 roof will be much less hard to find here in Belgium then a MK1 roof. So this could be very good news. :wink:

Of course all depends on the size of the hole in the roof. If the hole in my care is bigger than an original one I might as well forget about it.

Can somebody give me the size of the hole in the roof, and where it should be positioned? Or are there similar treads that someone can link me?

cheers !

I believe you asked Mars Red LA2A?
Mars Red it is !

Back to the top
Have you seen ?

http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5292&highlight=sunroof

You will not be able to fit a factory item unless you swop the whole roof and if you are going to that length swop it for a non sunroof example .

:D

Back to the top
Hy Chudd,

Waauw, no haven't seen anyone that brave.  :wink:  Nice and clean install !! 8)

My idea for the sunroof would be to make it look more like standard, and that's not really the case with your type of roof I think  :lol:

But as y said, very nice mod!

It's true what you say, I would rather have no sunroof, then the glass one (have the same just like you had)

You say that it would be better to swap the roof completely, are there examples? I'am not too confi on chopping of my roof without seeing examples … yes you can call me a chickenshit  :lol:

I believe you asked Mars Red LA2A?
Mars Red it is !
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.