Skip navigation

83 gti full rebuild

Back to the top

83 gti full rebuild

ohh not to sure about reskining the roof i've spent enough time geting it welded as it is lol and i wanna start  getting it ready for spraying now its sorted. I think im gonna buy a few meters of sound deadning stuff to try and make it a bit less flimsy its was ok befor i took it out god damn it. Also is there a seperate wiring loom for the fan as mine doesnt have any wires going to it, previous owner must have taken it befor i picked it up, is it simple to wire up as the haynes manual diagrams are a bit poo, help would be much apreciated as i cant run the car for long without a fan i dont want it overheating 8O

Back to the top
bit more progress from today  :D started the prep work

hopefully primer soon

Back to the top
most awesome

Back to the top
thanks mate, i'm really enjoying working on it now since all the tricky bits are done, think i may have found a nice set of half leather recaro's for her to 8) i really want this car fixed for the summer but revision is getting in the way of progress

Dunc

Back to the top
Right figured it was time for a bit of an update as i haven't posted in a while. Ive got a few more bits done and a few new parts including a new carpet set, headlining and sound deadning. Ive mainly been doing body work the last few weeks, haven't taken many pics but i will in the next couple of days if it stops raining, right onto today's updates

Got this little fella from machine mart along with a spraygun air gun and paraffin gun for ?70, not bad at all for little spray jobs and that only gonna use it for priming as i have found a guy who lives a mile or so away who's gonna spray the whole car with doors etc off and he's gonna pick it up on a flat bed :)

got the inside sprayed up in rust proof primer just got to flat back a few area's then im gonna give it a few coats of high build primer. Also got the new bonnet and one wing sprayed in primer as well, if it stays nice tomorrow i'll get another coat down and spray the floor pans then all i have to do is prime the outside of the car flat back and get the topcoat done cant't wait :) this is how the outside is looking including the doors, all paint sanded back to original primer then it gets a few coats of high build.

All bare metal is getting zinc oxide primed befor high build to stop rust

Back to the top
Right haven't posted in a while but i thought i'd show u guys what i've been up to. First things first, car has had all the wiring loom and fuse box removed from inside of the car as well as the heater box etc. All the paint has been flatted back to original primer and then sprayed inside and out with zinc primer, just needs flating off then high build sprayed, then off for top coat :D really happy with the way it came out not bad for a weekends work. Also got my brand new headlining and carpet set from newton comercial and cleaned up my original seats with a steam cleaner and a lot of elbow grease, i'll get pics of these when i fit them after the paint is done now for the pics

hope u guys enjoy

Befor paint

new bonnet test fit and primed

New wings also primed needed a bit of work to fit flush with the shell

And the rest of the shell

ohh and a pic of my old polo i found this weekend

Again sorry for the bad pics still using my phone  :?

Back to the top
Some good work going on there.
Praise well deserved for your hard efforts.

The aftermarket sunroof situation is a terrible one, and should really be rectified.
One thing I've learnt is, that if a job's worth doing, then it's worth doing right!
You would have to unpick the roof skin from the drip rails and then drill through the spot welds on the inside. Then replace the roof skin and the missing support bracket from inside. The outside corners are best brazed in place rather than welded. A tough job, but well worth the results.
I should know as it was the first task on my own car!

I'll be watching your progress with interest.

1980 Mars Red GTI BRMotorsport 142
1983 Black GTI

Back to the top
blindin work mate, top effort, cant wait to see it done, should look good also in the audi grey

Back to the top
Thanks for the nice comments guys, the roof skin is in good shape and didn't leak at all, i think i'm going to leave it alone as it still seems structurally sound when the sunroof is in place. If the weather stays this good the car should be in high build primer befor the end of the week maybe even get the inside top coated if im lucky :wink: i just wanna drive it  :banghead: looking for a set of bbs rm's to refurb as well i know they've been done alot but i need something to fill the arches a little bit and not look chavy, maybe some 15" minilites not sure yet, i think getting it running is the priority lol, i'll keep you updated on the progress.

Dunc

Back to the top
new pics soon guys lots of work has been done, the inside was sprayed grey but the paint reacted badly for an unknown reason so  the cars going back to black as i can't afford to buy more paint and i have a few litres of black lying around so should look almost standard. All floorpans and scuttle have been sprayed as well as the engine bay and slam panels and door shuts, more than happy with the results especially for my first time spraying. The doors have also been fully prepped and primed and are ready for paint, the whole car might be fully sprayed by the end of the week  :)  im more than exited about putting it back together with new carpets and headlining and other bits i've collected over the months. The wiring looms also been refitted and i fired her up for the first time in about 6 months yesterday. The only thing i still can't figure out is the fan wiring i have the temperature sensor with no wire's coming from it and no wires connected up to the fan motor either  :cry: just 2 stray wires in the engine bay should the motor and the senson be conected some how?? they both have 3 pins in them, i need to have a look at another gti engine bay but there are none local to me and the one person i asked if i could have a look didn't seem to happy to help, ohh well once this is sorted i can tune the engine up without fear of it over heating as i would like to be able to have it running reliably. pics tomorrow

Dunk

Back to the top
heyy guys i've got a load done on the golf the last few weeks but my internets been down so couldn't upload any pics. I decided to have a go at spraying the car myself as i had all the equiptment and an old gazebo that would be a good make shift spray booth lol.

the golf in the booth

all masked up

i don't have any pics during the spraying but it came out pretty good there are 3 runs that need flatting back and spraying in, i also brought an orbital sander/polisher so i can wet flat the paint back and polish it up the doors are also sprayed and i will be fitting them today if it stops raining :roll:

anyways pics

excuse the shorts in the reflection lol

had a bit of luck at the scrap yard i got some wiper arms indicator lenses and this steering wheel from a mk2 golf almost the same as the original.

I also saw a pair of mint old recaro buckets from a rover t bar with adjustable lumber suport etc so asked the guy but he wanted to sell the as a set with doorcards and everything so i told him i wasn't interested then he offered me them for ?50 per seat so i got a set of recaros for 100 quid bargain  :lol: im just gonna run harnesses and no back seats i think so its nice and simple. Im keeping all the original gti bits for future when i come to sell it so it can be put back to original.

Just a quick question i've asked in the electrical forum as well, what is this white electrical conector on my inlet it doesn't have anything pluged into it??

so thats my progress so far next up is to put the doors back together fit headlining and spray the inside again so it looks good with the back area striped out, the pick up seats get runners and put it all back together.

should be driving her soon

dunc

Back to the top
Hi Dunc,
Just want to say well done on your project, looks a good quality job, looking forward to seeing the final pics

Not sure what the connector is, will have a look on mine

Ade

Back to the top
cheers dude its taken a while but its finally looking like an ok car again i just wanna drive it now :P

Dunc

Back to the top
Thought it was time for a quick update on the old golf got lots done in the past few months. Doors are back on as well as the wings, got the engine wiring sorted and its running ok bit rough but still needs timing etc. Also fitted a gear linkage kit from mr quiffs just got to ajust it up and its sorted. Rear tailgate decal has also been put on which was a pita to get straight and flat but got there in the end. I've picked up a lot of bits that i will get pics of this week, i decided to overhall all the suspension parts as i didn't want anything old or broken and thought it would be best to replace the lot,  some bits have been referb'd and sprayed with hammerite including front hubs, arb, steering rack, steering rack brackets, gearbox mount etc part being replaced:

Tie rods and tie rod ends
steering rack boots
ball joints
wishbones & bushes- these have been laqured as i had a lot spare lol
wheel bearings front and rear
cv boots - sanded down and resprayed the cv's befor fully rebuilding
new arb mounts and bushes
engine mounts & gearbox mounts
new rear drums and pads
Strut top mounts
upper and lower suspension bushes - i wanted all bushes replaced when i fit the coilovers
sump gasket - there was a bolt snaped in the block which needs to be removed causing a leak  :banghead:
oil filter
air filter

Theres probably more but i can't remember it all lol, i now just need to get stuck in and re fit all the front components then put it back on the floor and start on the rear bits. I also refurbed and painted the front calipers to make them a bit neater and removed my exhaust system to make it more accesable to waxoyle the underside, the exhaust didn't even have a clamp from the down pipe, and when i was removing the hubs the hub nuts they wern't even torque'd up came of very easy, same thing happened with all the suspension bolts….. the previous owner made a real good job of this car …… lots of shiny pics coming soon i promise  :)  :roll:

Back to the top
ohh and the headlining is more than half in just gotta get a new interior light befor i fix it all in place bits i still have to get

windscreen
wiring loom for inside car my ones screwed
headlights
single headlight red grill
all side trim in black and clips
tailgate lock rubber grommit
and that circular bit behind the steering wheel that makes a conection to the horn as its snaped

Back to the top
Right got a few pics of the parts im fitting at the moment nothing special

ARB painted and new bushes fitted mounts have been wire brushed and repainted as well

New oil and air filters the discs that came with the car after a good clean up arb brackets from crazy quiff and new wishbones and balljoints all fitted

the wishbones were laqured as well as i had 5l left over from the previous paint i brought so i might as well use it.

i went for a drive to crazy quiff and picked up a few bits as well a new interior light, rear lamp wireing and a windscreen i only need side trim and a grill then i have all the bits to put it back on the road hopefully…. :)
I had to remove the exhaust mnifold this weekend to get he steering rack back in place and adjusted up and found that it was bolted up hand tight and some of the gaskets were instaled the wrong way round so more jobs to do  :banghead: but at least all the major parts are fited just gotta bolt on the coilovers and remove a snaped sump bolt befor it can be put on the ground.

More updates soon

Dunc

Back to the top
Havent been on here in ages lots has happened. The car has been finished for a few years, i decided to fully strip it and replace most parts so its had all new fuel lines, brake lines, all bushes, engine mounts, new low mileage engine and box, and i wasnt happy with the paint so flatted it all back and done it again. heres a few pics of the progress. i shall be updating this more regularly as im putting it back to a much more original look with a full interior double headlights etc.

and thats basically where its at as off today. new arches and side decals went on, now all i need to do is fit my double headlight grill and hella lamps a new red grill trim, and the rear seats and parcel shelf. I will also be changing the exhaust tip for something a bit smaller and subtle and then enjoy driving it. Its taken a long time to get it this stage and i've enjoyed the whole build process. coments welcome.

Back to the top
What an amazing amount of dedication you have, all your hard wok has paid off, it looks amazing.  I like the wheels, normally don't like the teardrops or wheels that rant silver but what you have done with them is really different yet tasteful.

Golf GTI Campaign 1983 Mars Red, Ford S-Max 2015, Audi TT 180 quattro 2003, Fiat 500C 2013, Golf GTE MK7.5

image.jpeg

Back to the top
Coming together nicely mate. Great effort.

Back to the top
Looks great, love the wheels    :thumbs:

Matt
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.