Skip navigation

Auto cab- worth it?

Back to the top

Auto cab- worth it?

HI all
I am truely lusting after getting a Mk1 cab but to use as a daily driver I'd need it to be an automatic. Is it worth it in terms of reliability or should I just stick with sharing the Gti and keeping my focus for daily? Considering I only have a budget of about ?2k.
Not sure how reliable the old auto boxes are so if anyone has experience of them I'd love to know.
TIA
Alexandria

Back to the top
if you want to know how good an auto cab is then y not ask auto cab himself

hello!

Back to the top
i have put over 7000 miles on 1.5 auto in the past year without any probs at all and it is used as my daily drive and has never let me down

Back to the top
Sorry I am confused, is that a member on here?

Back to the top

Some say he once had a knife fight with anthea turner and all his houseplants are called steve, all we know is, he's called the autocab :lol:

Banner

Back to the top
lol

I hope you can count?

Back to the top
If anything, the auto gearboxes are more reliable than the manuals. They tend to have been purchased by non-boy racers. Just do the basics such as check the condition and level of the fluid.

Back to the top
ew, you watch too much top gear  :lol:

1983 Polo CL - daily

1984 Golf G60 Syncro - sold

1989 Rallye Golf - sold

1992 Corrado G60 - crushed

1989 Polo C - chopped and crushed

1991 309 Style - crushed

Back to the top

paul_c said

If anything, the auto gearboxes are more reliable than the manuals. They tend to have been purchased by non-boy racers. Just do the basics such as check the condition and level of the fluid.

Unless it's you paul :lol:

Back to the top

Re: Auto cab- worth it?

Alexandria said

HI all
I am truely lusting after getting a Mk1 cab but to use as a daily driver I'd need it to be an automatic. Is it worth it in terms of reliability or should I just stick with sharing the Gti and keeping my focus for daily? Considering I only have a budget of about ?2k.
Not sure how reliable the old auto boxes are so if anyone has experience of them I'd love to know.
TIA
Alexandria

Hi

My cab is an auto, the box runs well, liek others have said, cant really thrash an auto, buts it feels slow, the gearchange is great, dont really notice it, fuel economy isnt to bad either considering mines and 1.8 as well, the thing that really lets mine down (i also have a MKII thats the same auto) is the carb, they dont always start, they dont like the cold, but once started their good.
the only problem i have with the cabby gearbox is when its hot, it sometimes doesnt register that its in park when i try to restart her, which means i have to leave for half an hour before restarting.. Which can be a tad annoying if stuck ina  apetrol station…

I only got the Auto for the wiffe as its all she can drive, the MKII is now her car, as it has power steering etc, its better for her.. The Cabby is now mine, persoanlly i'm either lookingt o trade in for a manual, or get her converted, but I'l be sticking up a seperate thread, depending how the winter goes and if work picks up…
Ovrall tho, its great having the auto, you know its never been thrashed…
Just check all oil levels and make sure the car itself is good, if you see one witha  weber carb conversion, well worth it

Hope that helps you in anyway

Back to the top

ew said

Some say he once had a knife fight with anthea turner and all his houseplants are called steve, all we know is, he's called the autocab :lol:

I just read that with Jeremy Clarkson's voice in my head  8O

Back to the top
Lawsy, that is very helpful yes. SO does the MkII not have the same carb problem?

Back to the top
The autocab is here (almost feel like the stig  :lol: ) the auto is a lovely gearbox and you can thrash it if you feel the need, very fuel friendly & smooth change, some peoples opinions differ about the auto box, i would not change mine for anything, also you can laugh at other people who are scrambling to put there can of coke down before doing a gear change at a r/about in a manual as you will go round without spillin a drop, go for it  :D Also an auto dosen't have to look like an auto heres mine.

Back to the top

debs said

ew said

I just read that with Jeremy Clarkson's voice in my head  8O

I have seen top gear filmed and its well worth a visit if you can get on the waitlist!!

Back to the top

autocab said

The autocab is here

Because you're worth it   :lol:

Back to the top
:lol: Thanks debs, now i feel like a shampoo advert  :lol:

Back to the top
Never had a problem with my carb always starts and registers park :dontknow:

Back to the top

Alexandria said

Lawsy, that is very helpful yes. SO does the MkII not have the same carb problem?

Yeah, the MKII does have the same carb, apparantly its the same engine, but the one in the MKII feels so muh smoother, probably cos its only just doen 37000k, where as my cabs just about to hit 100K

Both have the same start problems, will turn over when cold, will start up but the cab is worse (an age thing i reckon) the biggest issue with them is that when you shut off they both want to run on and it can be a bit embarrising sometimes..

But i agree with autocab, they can look cool, i popped to halfords in mine the other day and all the spotty guys were drewling over it, none know its an auto  :lol: plus its quick off the mark (well till about 40) then its game over..

i guess mine both need a good tune up, (so if anyone knows anyone in berkshire it would be handy)

Back to the top

autocab said

Never had a problem with my carb always starts and registers park :dontknow:

Have you got the pierburg or weber carb?

Back to the top
yup no probs heer and its great to drive  :D
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.