Skip navigation

My Resto 1982.... New engine start videos.

Back to the top

My Resto 1982.... ENGINE START! With video!

Started to fill in holes not neeeded in my engine bay today. ;)
Was very fun untill i got very sunburnt on my face from the welding heat given out. nicee.

So t have a break from the welding i took the rocker cover off the new valver and gave it some primer ready for paint tomoro.

Not sure what colout to paint it and the whole car but im very tempted with this colour. Or just white. But i like attention so its prob gunna be the green. lol

Also i stole my friends vr6 badge and tryed it on my mk2 lol

Mk1 Golf Gti Abf conversion Project
Mk2 Golf Gti 16v
Mini Cooper S R53 (Daily)

Back to the top
Nice work mate !

That green mk1 is sweet - love the colour and the wheels

Is there a build thread that you know of for that one ?

CHeers
Stewart

Back to the top
Bloody been doing this for like 3 days non stop now and doesnt feel like ive realy achived anything!
Didnt know this would take this long to smooth and engine bay. Havnt even got filler on it yet. Maybe tomoro though.

And some seem welding to strengthan the chassis while im at it.

Mk2 Golf Gti 16v

Back to the top
loved reading this man, good inspiration keeps us on our toes. keep it up cant wait to see engine bay smoothed out, and the red and green combo shall be interesting.  :D

Back to the top
Good work dude. Go for the green colour. Looks sweet :wink:

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top
Awesome work fella!

Back to the top
Made abit of progress today.

SHE HAS A FACE AGAIN :D :D

Still need to finish up welding the chassis legs to the front pannel because dinner was almost ready. lol. so i couldnt finish.

Tacked in the bits of metal to smooth the bay aswell today :D

Mk2 Golf Gti 16v

Back to the top
Good work fella,

Where did you get the replacement pannels from. Are they new ?

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top
Got them from here a while back. http://www.golfmk1.co.uk/index.htm
I thought i would need them sooner. lol
They are a sponser for this site.
Very good fit of pannels highly recomend!

Got the wings from tsr performance though.

Cheers mate. It is hard work

Mk2 Golf Gti 16v

Back to the top
Good stuff - nice to see it looking more like a car again 8)

Rich

Back to the top
i thort i was the only person to get burnt from my welder it realy stings dont it mate lol
cars cumin along nicely mate that green looks cool to i was guna paint mine kawasaki green.

keep on dubbing

Back to the top
Think i got burnt abit again yesterday. lol and prob didnt help doing more welding today.
Had realy bad arc eye last night. was horrible!!! Couldnt sleep.

Anyway enough bitching, i finished up welding on the front pannel today and welded on one of the pannels to smooth the engine bay fully and started the other but ran out of wire. So ground down all the welds to make the look pretty.

Mk2 Golf Gti 16v

Back to the top

lukeybabes said

Think i got burnt abit again yesterday. lol and prob didnt help doing more welding today.

Anyway enough bitching, i finished up welding on the front pannel today and welded on one of the pannels to smooth the engine bay fully and started the other but ran out of wire. So ground down all the welds to make the look pretty.

What the hell are you guys using to protect yourselves, being a welder of over 16yrs I am yet to get an ARC or any form of ray burn other than a little on my wrist.

For heavens sake keep the raybans for the beach and invest in a decent mask  :lol:  8)  

Great to see you sticking it out :D

<a href="http://www.golfcabrio.co.uk">New Golf Cabrio Forum NEEDS YOU</a>

<a href="url">http://www.golfcabrio.co.uk</a>

Back to the top

JettaGTI said

lukeybabes said

What the hell are you guys using to protect yourselves, being a welder of over 16yrs I am yet to get an ARC or any form of ray burn other than a little on my wrist.

For heavens sake keep the raybans for the beach and invest in a decent mask  :lol:  8)  

Great to see you sticking it out :D

My welder came with some crap mask that you have to hold cuz there is nothing to strap to ur head. And me being lazy i sometimes juts close my eyes when i wana weld lol. And im to poor to buy a mask. Would rarther buy golf parts  :D  lol
Started using the mask now though as it bloody hurt.

Finished up welding the pannels in today and grinding the welds down.
Waiting on some rust converter/primer stuff i got off ebay to come before i start filling.
Looks good in metal form though. Dont ya rekon? lol

But i cant deside weather to chop the bracket off the wiper motor becuase it seems sturdy enough with just the bolts on the spindles.
What do people think? Also it looks neater with no bracket. Will chop the part off the motor aswell btw

With

Without

Mk2 Golf Gti 16v

Back to the top
Could you not make a custom bracket that goes down to the bulkhead so its under the motor, it'd look neater and keep the strength for the motor (if you know what i mean)

MK1 16v on twin 40's + my name's Stewart

Back to the top
You don't need the bracket for the wipers.
I am running a mk2 motor( to speed the wipers up )and the mk2 motor doesn't  bolt to the bracket ,no problems at all.

76 ?
78 gls
83 gti 5v

Back to the top
Pm'd you, might have something you could use to protect your peepers.. No good carrying out all this work and not being able to see the finished product due to a scorched retina 8)

<a href="http://www.golfcabrio.co.uk">New Golf Cabrio Forum NEEDS YOU</a>

<a href="url">http://www.golfcabrio.co.uk</a>

Back to the top
Pm replyed to mate  :)

Mk2 Golf Gti 16v

Back to the top

mark83 said

You don't need the bracket for the wipers.
I am running a mk2 motor( to speed the wipers up )and the mk2 motor doesn't  bolt to the bracket ,no problems at all.

yep same here in my cabby!

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Cheers for the comeback guys. Will probaly be picking up a mk2 wiper motor at some point then.

Does anyone know what radiators people genrally use to do away with the expantion tank? The braket is already gone ;) and i know the mk1 sirocco uses one but seems quite small. (495mm mount to mount).
Not sure if it will be big enough for sufficient cooling.

Also what are the rules on relocation of the vin number? Does it have to be on view etc?
Where do people normaly weld them back to the chassis? Cheers.

Mk2 Golf Gti 16v
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.