Skip navigation

HELP!!!!! Cabrio keeps cutting out.New Member!!

Back to the top

HELP!!!!! Cabrio keeps cutting out.New Member!!

Hi every 1. my 1992 1.8 non injected cabrio clipper keeps cutting out after a few miles! EX engine! I bought this 8months ago and think i have tried everything poss. I have replaced the following: fuel resevior,fuel pump lifter,distributor complete!,fuel filter,fitted webber card and done away with pierburg 2e2 carb,still cuts!! out then the last resort!! I replaced fuel filler neck,fuel tank and fuel lines!! changed oil,plugs,leads,coolant and swapped coil over from my mk2 Gti  just in case.This is tough on the pocket!! PLEASE HELP!!! I have all these original spare parts now that r prob in good working order,and more,knee bar,dashs.console,floor carpets clocks handles side stripes and alloys.went a bit mad and built up a right wee pile of xtras!! so if any1 else looking for bits contact me.Many thanks for reading!! N.Ireland. :banghead:

Back to the top
Change the ignition amplifier .

Cheers …………..

Back to the top

Help!!!! cabrio keeps cutting out.Newbie!!

Cheers 4 reply Chudd. I will try that.Just back in frm working on it and my mates seam to think its fuse box!! no fuel gettin thru or sparking from coil either.Thanks again.

Back to the top
Hi Chudd.
 Its not the ignition amplifier either.Any thing else you can think of?

Thanks

Back to the top
Alarm or immobilizer causing problems ?

Strange as you seem to have replaced every thing else .

When it cuts out is there any fuel ? Is there a spark at the plugs ?

Back to the top
hi Chudd.
    Alarm is disconnected when i bought it. and when it cuts out after a few miles  it has no fuel in the inline filter so i used to wait for a while and start her up again and would only get a mile or two b4 it would cut out again.Now it wont even start now,it will try2. spoke to mechanic there who has the car and he said there is no spark from coil lead! but we did swap over coils and amplifiers and still no spark to ignite the fuel.Any suggestions?? car is perfect in every otherway.shame to be off the road!
Thanks again Chudd.

Back to the top
My mate has a '90 1800 carb clipper. His cut out when (it seemed to me) it was cold/cool. A wierd thing was, when he went round the roundabout at the bottom of his road, turned right, it stalled. He got it going and all was ok once warmed up.

Turned out to be the wax stat (as he reported). I don't know if thats right/if thats what its called/ or if it helps. But it might!

Dan

Back to the top
probably rot in the bottom of the tank, blocking feed mate :)

Back to the top
Cheers Dano.I had heard of that wax stat  recently and tried to get 1 and couldnt.Some of the VW guys hadnt heard of it!!!!(as in VW dealer mechanics)  so i checked up on the net and found out what it was. GSF only did newer one which wouldnt fit.Its a thermostat.think its attatched with the pierburg carb with auto choke and thats why i put webber upgraded carb in to do away with that problem.Thinking of maybe fusebox faulty now!! had it checked out and was told they gave probs at one time.Just guessin now.And def no immobiliser or alarm is fitted.

Hi Cal Brand new tank fitted and fuel filler neck also brand new and new fuel lines.Car went well 4 few miles when i had replaced them and just cut out again and hasnt started since.Honestly ive tried everything possible and fitted all orignal new parts,The tank was dirty!! cleaned the sender intank also.

Thanks again for speedy replies  :banghead:

Back to the top
1 of my mates have had this problem on carbed mk1`s, and on his it actually turned out to be the little filter sock in the tank all blocked up and starving the fuel off, it would run for a few miles…  stop……wait 10 minutes and it would run again………sometimes it ran fine and others it wouldnt start!! he changed the sock (like a little tea bag sausage thing) for new one cleaned out his tank and it never did it again, maybe thats the problem? its cheaper than the other stuff you have done!

92 Sportline in Flash Red, Standard **SOLD**

91 G60 Corrado in Aqua Blue pearl

91 Rallye Golf, Tornado Red, AMD tuned to 220bhp 227 flb torque 9j x16 Borbet B alloys

1985 B Alpine white mk2 Golf Gti

Back to the top
Thanks Topoftherange Guess what mate??? Yip done that 2! lol Ive had to sell my Mk2 16v cause of it!! lol And may going 2 get rid of Mk2 8v also.or just get gallon o petrol and match!!!(joking) I bought la castelett alloys for mk1 and chrome de-lock handles and chrome side stripes for mk1.Handles r the real thing,not plastic! they r off rear doors from a scricco.wheels set the mk1 off,but alas we aint going anywhere this year.Ha.Must get few pics of mk1 on .Karmen clipper with  the full kit and the colour is pearl green matalic.

Back to the top
:lol:  oh well…….your gonna have to back track a few bits then……maybe it is electrical related then? my old 1978 gti used to cut out and that turned out to be the main power lead into the back of the fuse board was coroded bothe terminal and connector (ceramic type fuse board mind!) i got another board from a breakers and it never did it again, its the next thing to try  :lol:
sounds like a lovely spec cabby…….nice colour too..just need to get it running now :wink:

91 Rallye Golf, Tornado Red, AMD tuned to 220bhp 227 flb torque 9j x16 Borbet B alloys

Back to the top
Yo Top!!!

I'd forgotten about that filter problem. I had a Mk2 in 1990 and ran out of petrol, muck got sucked through then it began to cut out. Got worse as the tank emptied and the fuel pump buzzed. I was the filter in the tank.

I'm always a bit paranoid when I hear the fuel pump on the Cabby buzzing… now I remember why!!!

Dan

Back to the top
Cheers Every1 for speedy replies!!!!!

Dano it aint injected.its 1.8carb type and the fuel pump lifter and fuel resevior and inline filter have been changed 2.All new parts.along with new tank fuel filler neck and new fuel lines.and was topped up with new petrol.When car did start it would tick over 4 ages and it was when i drove for a few miles it would cut out and took ages to start then would cut out again and again.but each time id noticed the INLINE filter was empty!! Thats why i had suspected a fuel prob!! Then i replace dizzy and started to check all the electrical bits.Fuse box mayb???? :twisted:

Back to the top
theres gotta be a lift pump or pressure reg problem somewhere, if the inline is empty its starving of fuel, its one of those hard to fathom problems unless the cars in front of you :roll:  and just as annoying when it is by the sound of it!!

Back to the top
Yeah Top was thinking of trying another lift pump.The ignition amp works ok.had it tested and took 1 out of my Mk2 Gti and  swapped them 2.But the coil lead  isntnt sparking!  so that wont ignite the fuel to start the lift pump etc.Didnt mind replacin the parts iF IT WUD JUST GO!!! ha. :lol:

Back to the top
is your dizzy knackered then? or is the timing way out? if you get an intermitent spark like you say the fuel wont pump, suppose its a fail safe to stop if going boom!

Back to the top
Hows it going TOP?
 New Dizzy was fitted also.Car getting picked up 2moro and getting transported over to a Bloke who knows how they run!! and is Enthusiast!
Fingers crossed. :)

Again Thanks 4 Help mate.

Back to the top

wolf said

Hows it going TOP?
 New Dizzy was fitted also.Car getting picked up 2moro and getting transported over to a Bloke who knows how they run!! and is Enthusiast!
Fingers crossed. :)

Again Thanks 4 Help mate.

Please let ,me know how you get on….I've just bought a 1991 Clipper Cabrio Carb…and it starts great, runs for 2 mins, then starts coughing and spluttering….won't hold any revs when under load. I stop and pullover for a couple of minutes,and its ok. Does feel a little lumpy, but does run.. I need help too!!

Back to the top
Hi Shooterdee
eventually got it sorted and runs well now :wink:
was a number of things but think TOPs suggestion was the main PROBLEM :roll:
TOPs suggested as follows:
1 of my mates have had this problem on carbed mk1`s, and on his it actually turned out to be the little filter sock in the tank all blocked up and starving the fuel off, it would run for a few miles… stop……wait 10 minutes and it would run again………sometimes it ran fine and others it wouldnt start!! he changed the sock (like a little tea bag sausage thing) for new one cleaned out his tank and it never did it again, maybe thats the problem? its cheaper than the other stuff you have done!
Anyway Mechanic Cut that little filter off and said that was common fault.
Hope this helps :wink:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.