Skip navigation

Project G40 Turbo, engine in now starts the hard work lol

Back to the top

Project G40 Turbo, engine in now starts the hard work lol

Hello all

well Ive been about on this website over the years but never really posted

now Ive got a mk1 again I thought I would join in the fun :)

Its my 7th one i think lol lost count but most know me for my corrado

http://www.online03.plus.com/aposegil/
http://www.corrado-database.nl/index.php?item=view_corrado&id=420

now I have a v6 S/C passat with RS4 tranny system but I fancied something for more fun along with the 900 ninja ;)

so I picked up a 1983 alpine white mk1 drive of my mate (he loves mk2's so should never have had it!!!!!!!! lol) its pritty solid just rear arch damage

and original project was bike carb Gt 1.3 engine stripped out etc etc you know the story

well as I started to collect parts I was offered a LHD g40 been vandilised so I took it even thou charger was blown but I didnt care

So now the plan is
G40 lump with nice T25 or T28 turbo (already got manifold)
On standard engine mounts
Poly bush everything
Strip out interior two seats needs to be slightly comfy bucket/sports seats

but as I started to strip the car down I  found that ive got some bad wings (gong straight to the bin!!!!)
Battry tray was foobared
Going to start removing scuttle panel holes been drilled in it over years etc
Also going to fit G40 pedal box and Servo with M/C
get strut brace upper and lower
Also GTi Anti roll bar
Vaux 256mm setup (my mate binned my 280mm setup thinking it was rubbish and yes i did make him cry)
Repair rear passenger arch
and I think thats about it at present lol

Ill get some pics up asap but hopefully it should be doing the ring early next year :D

Back to the top
welcome and nice one your plans sound good

Back to the top
well im planning to build a kind of pug rallye kind of car

nimble and light but without being to OTT plus the important word here is cheap. Ive told my other half budget for this car is ?1000 already up in ?400 so mean all paint welding etc will done by me :( god help me lol

and so everyone knows the GT part of sproty name plus Golf Turbo lol only badge that will be on the back of the car :)

Back to the top
yay doing the same with mine not many of em about but heard some real good report bout them i think its the perfect engine as its real light wiegt just lifting mine around a bit to day i just cant wait to fire her up i will let you know how i get on first thing is the near side mount needs to be sorted as the polo one is different but thinking of use a g60 mount or modding the polo one to fit  im gonna keep with the lader for a while and get her goin the eaton all rady got one :) a bit premature seeing as i only got the bock to day

g40'd ratter

<div><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://w139.photobucket.com/pbwidget.swf?pbwurl=http://w139.photobucket.com/albums/q312/Forgeman/75e604af.pbw" height="120"

Back to the top
Ive been told gearbox mount to use the original GTI mount of the mkI which looks like it will work

Back to the top
well as I havent had any good pics but today my other half took some

upto now been trying to get rid of crappy panels in the engine bay so bit of smoothing

another engine pic

the only real outside damge

Ive cut it out and panel beating from inside out and then weld it back in hopefulling close to pefect to avoid using replacment panel or loads of filler.

rear boot need about 2" x 1" piece welded in the bottom left and thats about it really

well bettter start working

had my partner and my mate helping so bit got done :)

Sadly ive cracked another windscreen :( so search on for another one now  :)

but will have more pics soon

Back to the top
Nice one Alex  8)

Mk1 Golf 16V Conversion FAQ Zip, now located at in the Forum WIKI section: http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=cedi&type=misc&id=42%2F26%2F3

Back to the top
usual point about the vin number needing relocating when you remove the scuttle tray. dont chuck it away as it's on there. still looking good.

Back to the top
novocaine - thanx for the tip but not stranger to smooth bays

my other halfs car :-

and another one where working on

http://mk2vr6.com/board/download/file.php?id=502&amp;mode=view

manic- how you doing mate :) missed you at ace lol

also more updated repair panel at the rear nearly done just got to tack on and final shaping but very happy with the out come

had to do small repair to the rear of the front passenger arch

sadly the front bottom part of the drivers arch is worse than first realised so means some repairing needed :(

oh well got another night worth to do :)

Back to the top
fair does bud. looking good. happy hunting.

Back to the top
well been doing a few huge nights up until 1-2am tring to get the work done but last night most of my time was taken up trying to fit the polo mk3 pedal brake box and servo and after 25 attempts (well felt like it) i finally got it

also some pics of the progress

also the repair to the rear arch

the car how it stands

oh and the wheels I still need to refurb

Back to the top
smooth bay looks cool as. how easy/ hard is it to remove the scuttle pannel?

ive got clipper carb and the air filter's weber / ram air both rubbed on the pannel and split the rubber manifold gasket.

cheers pete

ERROR: A link was posted here (url) but it appears to be a broken link.

Volksaction F

Back to the top
nice job alex, car is looking more and more solid every time i see it!  8O

Back to the top
well quick update

80% of the engine bay now rubbed down

hopefulyl finish that off tonight so I can start priming

also decided to throw in the towel with the rear arches and have a proffessional do it for me. Its better in the long term just annoyed I know I wont be able to do a good job on them

also picked up my Vauxhall claipers with brand new pads ?30 just need to get 16v discs already have the special bolts

also finaly got hold a the right Saab turbo down pipe to use so once the engine in i can fabricate the exhaust system. If anyone has a 2 1/4 system sitting about with one back box doing nothing let me know save me a bit of time lol

Back to the top
Well small update

left the car in primer over weeknd to let it settle came back on monday wasnt happy with tthe finish

So more wet and dry

then primer

and then some more wet and dry

and final filler primer and engien bay not looking showing mint finish but happy enough for me

and we have

if i was really anal i would do more filler work but to be hoenst i just want to drive ti not show it off

also turbo ;)

oh and calibra 256mm setup with hoses and brand new pads ?30 :)

all teh pics are here if you can be botehred to see how many times i rubed it all down lol
http://s134.photobucket.com/albums/q91/aposegil/mk1/

Back to the top
Can i have my mk1 back now please alex?? I really must change my signature now!  :cry:

Im never satisfied with just one car!!!

89 mk1 clipper (summer toy)
89 mk2 vr6 turbo (one day it will be finished!!)
92 mk2 16v (k reg)
01 mk4 v6 4motion (the wife's)
03 mk4 R32 (the stress free motor!!)

Back to the top
well been slightly busy, did one more wet/dry and first layers of paintthat kepted me busy until saturday 2am

came back to the car on saturday day even thou looks good, I wanted to put more white over it all

got to admit for my first ever time spraying with the gun (and a ?11 gun at that) it came out ok (actually better than I ever thought I could achieve).

tonight started to cleam up bottom part (steering rack etc and start putting things bck to where they should be

and how its sits tonight :)

tomorrow hopefully, weld up the brace for steering rack and underseal the bottom part of the engine bay as the car never was going to be show so rather it lasted on me :)

also here what I picked up for my other car ;)

Back to the top
is that a rover v8 or a ford?

this is were you say no its an inline 4 :lol:

Back to the top
its a S4 audi lump to go in my passat

this is my other car

http://www.ukpassats.co.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=5&amp;t=240

Back to the top
8) some nice work there aposegil, engine bay's looking very tidy

'82 Black 1600 GTI - Getting Better
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.