Skip navigation

I forgot about my 1.3 Driver project

Back to the top

I forgot about my 1.3 Driver project

edited most of my bad grammar & spelling

Topoftherange said

is there any reason why you havnt gone for a Gti to restore though? it would be worth more in the long run i would have thought :dontknow:

long reply alert

i drive my red Driver like a grandad & if i had a GTI that was as tidy as my red car i'd drive that like a grandad too  :lol:

GTI's are for going fast  :twisted:

if i had a GTI, i'd SO want to mod a GTI……..theres no way i'd keep it standard

were as i like my red Driver been standard…….i think people looking round it at show's are a little suprised when they realise its a Driver & not as GTI

of cause insurance is probably the main reason for having 2x Driver's…….

…..i live near the town centre and i pay more now than i did 7 years ago when i had my first Driver and lived on a council estate on the outskirts of town  :dontknow:

i'm pretty sure i able to insure both these Driver's for around the same cost as 1x GTI………even though the gold car will be moddifed

yes a modded Driver may cost the same as a standard GTI, but as i said earlier…….."i'd SO want to mod a GTI" and if i did that would put the insurance up

my red Driver is just for shows & meets…….it only gets use in summer, it doesn't go out in the rain  :oops:  & it's always kept in the garage

the gold Driver won't get restored to the same standard as the red one……..i want to use it & not have to worry about it when it's outside in the rain/bad weather on my drive or when its parked in works or Asda carpark where people may scratch it

Back to the top
then got onto the engine bay…..only had time to pull the motor out

Back to the top
no pic's from today……….been round scrapyard looking for suitable airbox's and washer bottles…….could'nt find anything of any use  :(   

the airbox from a Polo GT doesn't fit between the inner wing & cambelt cover……….& any airbox i fit needs to be were the current washer bottle is  :banghead:   

then we got on with stripping a mk3 Polo our Matt has at his unit that we're using as a donor for some of the fuel injection & wiring parts, also using the engine/interior from this car to put my Orange Polo back to standard so i can sell it to fund this project

the plan we had for converting the car to fuel injection was to chop a Polo GT engine bay wiring loom down to just the bits needed for the engine & then splice this into the current mk1 Golf loom

Today we desided not to do this………

we thought it would be easier to fit a full wiring loom & fusebox from a mk3 Polo

but Matt was talking to our mate Spen tonight and he's recomended we fit a mk2 Polo interior loom & fusebox with a mk3 GT engine bay loom

This way all the mk1 Golf dash switches & stalks will work (with the mk2 Polo wiring)

so our Matt's off to scrapyard in the morning to get the bit's we need off a squareback mk2 Polo thats in there

Back to the top
had Matt doing wiring tonight……..he had got his head round what was planned better than me

he removed the engine bay, dash, most of the interior loom……..& the fusebox

the only mk1 Golf wiring thats left is rear light, no. plate lights, wash/wipe & heated screen

fusebox is mk3 Polo……as is almost all of the interior loom

dash loom is mk2 Polo…….so that mk1 Golf switch gear plugs in

engine bay loom will be mk3 Polo GT

……………

bit of a list of jobs to do

got some of the following parts on order

full poly bush set

G-Max front shocks…….to go with the Jamex rears & -60mm springs i already have

front & rear wheel bearings

front top mounts & ball joints……..wishbones look OK, may get Matt to shotblast & paint them

using the front brakes off the Orange Polo…….re-building the contents of the rear drums

new brake pipe/flexi's

need a mk2 Polo radiator……..ordering one tomorrow

Back to the top
Nice Pongo!

And you still haven't got that door card off. :roll:

Still better than I'm doing tho.

Yradave says relax.

Back to the top

yradave said

And you still haven't got that door card off. :roll:

i keep forgetting to borrow the drill from work  :oops:

Back to the top
ain't touch the car last night or tonight  :oops:  

got a load of bits off Ed (Superted)……..main useful bits are rear beam & front wishbone/ARB mounts

going to clean them up and paint them black……idea is if i keep thing clean & tidy the car will be nicer to work on

still need to source a front ARB……..sold the one i had to Devo age's ago

poly bushes arrived & i found the stainless steel rear ARB clamps i bought ages ago………these are easier to fit than the standard VW one's

front shocks should arrive tomorrow………still got to get new front top mounts & ball joints, as well as new nuts/bolts

Back to the top

driver

looking good . save my door card and other bits please! simon

Back to the top

car

p.s. ineed some of those s/s rear clamps. where did you get them?

Back to the top

Re: car

gtimark1 said

looking good . save my door card and other bits please! simon

will do…….need to rob the drill back of our Matt

gtimark1 said

p.s. ineed some of those s/s rear clamps. where did you get them?

i found the advert in Rabbit magazine the other night……i'll find it tonight and PM you

Back to the top
Front shocks finally arrived

Started to clean the engine bay

Back to the top
Made no updates for a while??.been getting the Orange Polo ready for selling

Managed to do a few bits and pieces though

Got myself a GTI rear beam, going to clean it up and spray it black

Cut through the clamps for the ARB, there a pain in the bum??I?ve got some custom made stainless steel clamps to replace them, may even buy a set of Eibach ARB?s instead of using standard GTI bars

Rear beam bush bracket thingies??.going to clean them up and fit poly bushes in them

Rebuilding the front brakes?..they have been on 2 of my cars over the past 7 years or so, all I have ever done to them is paint them orange & then red

There now?t special?..calipers are mk2 Scirocco, carriers are mk2 Golf??this gives better clearance for my ATS Classic?s (Manta rims)

Fitting new ?Goodridge? style flexi hoses too

Disks & pads will go again??..enough meat left in them for another track day

Back to the top
Works sort of ground to a halt……here my excuse's

excuse no.1……

i've been hoping to get the V5 for the car, but the previous owner can't find it, so i'm off to see the DVLA in Beverley on Monday to sort it out……..it's going to take about 4 weeks to come through and cost me ?25

excuse no.2……

??? is has run out……..cashflow should be sorted soon though, polo should be going today & i've got some more ??? coming to me beginning of December

excuse no.3…….

it's VERY cold out the back of my house this time of year cos of the direction my house faces, the small amount of sun we get this time of the year is only on the front of my house

anywho, i'm off work for 3 days next week, so i should be able to get some of the parts i already have fitted during the day & make a bit of progress

sadly though……..i don't think it will be on the road til the beginning of January at the soonest

Back to the top
Let's hope it does not snow! keep us informed on your progress I am following with intrest as its something I've cosidered doing!

Back to the top
Nice Work Paul,

I have the same car sitting in the wings i bought three years ago. Spent over a year looking for a solid MK1 for a project and eventually found a 1.3L Driver in "Champagne Gold" don't you know!!!

Mine had green all over it as well strangly! but has very little rust to mention.

Its been funny reading your post as you are going through and doing all the same things as i did with the mechanics.

Got my S/S brackets from here:  Jim Poole 01782 723428   (  anti roll bar brackets )

I have found a Campain to keep me busy now after this one has been waiting in the wings for some work, i'm just glad i never started to strip it as i may have to sell it on.

Here is a pic of mine after its first wash and a set of BBs RA's for a little inspiration to get me focused. Its still on stilts now!

Back to the top
current picture of the Golf

yup, done now't

have bought some bit's though

secondhand Sportex performance exhaust…..?25

Huntmaster seats…..?40….going in the Nova for now……..still may get the original Huntmaster seats out of the Orange Polo retrimed (in black)

Back to the top
good going kid I just love the look of a gold driver? I had one back in the day but resprayed black! wish I never!! :cry:

1983 MK1 PIRELLI EDITION

Alpine White LHD ("SOLD")

Back to the top
seen as though every one is sportin the gold drivers thought i'd join in :D !

here's helga (makes me think of an angry female german shotputter from the 80s dunno why but there you go?)

was your mars red driver at harwood house in leeds if it was yours mate i stood and drooled over it for a while very nice indeed. and i bet you'll still be scared parkin the gold one when its done i run to the window when a pigeon farts thinkin someones pinchin my car!

Back to the top

rustys_mk1 said

was your mars red driver at harwood house in leeds if it was yours mate i stood and drooled over it for a while very nice indeed.

yer, my red one was at VW Festival….was'nt happy with it getting muddy

rustys_mk1 said

and i bet you'll still be scared parkin the gold one when its done i run to the window when a pigeon farts thinkin someones pinchin my car!

there's going to be far less time & money in the Gold car……so hopfully i won't be too bothered if it gets scratched/dented

Back to the top
by the weekend to car should be in my brother Matt's 2nd unit  :dance:

if i get a move on it should be on the road for the DemonVW Big Fat Tour II on 20th of April
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.