Skip navigation

campaign gti 4 sale

Back to the top

campaign gti 4 sale

well

to say how annoyed i am with attempting to buy this car is an understatement. :banghead:  :banghead:
 I still can`t believe it. With in a few hours of the listing of the add i rang the guy and arranged to view the car on saturday morning. as he was working today as was i. Then today i read the add and some1 else stating they had been to see it today. So i rang the guy up asking him whats going on. I mean its his car and he can sell it to who ever he likes , but i had arranged to travel close to 250 miles.

He then says the guy was undecided due to the log book issue, so we AGAIN aggreed that i will travel down in the morning. I then after this second conversation, even paid for one days insurance on the car on the off chance that it would of been an ok and solid car and i bought it. I even hpi checked the car and the seller new all this..

Then about an hour ago he rings me up saying he has now sold it to this guy on here Pete_Richards i guess.    :banghead:  :banghead:  :banghead:

I mean i guess i have just got sour grapes after missing out on yet another car, but just feel like i have been messed around. And guess bit cheesed off with myself for not just going down today even though the seller said tomorrow would of been better.

Anyways rant over for now, and Pete_Richards hope the engine blew on the way home for you.

Na only joking mate, hope the car is spot on for yer, just pee`ed off that i did not get it myself  :roll:

Back to the top
8O
Just to get a few things straight, I actually e-mailed and text him within an hour of this being posted, I was also booked in to see the car at 11 on Saturday but as I was in Hornchurch on Friday (about 2 miles away) I decided to and have a look.
The car is far from perfect and I probably could have got it a lot cheaper had you not been involved, I understand you even offered him ?100. to let you see it Saturday?
At the end of the day it's down to the seller how he wants to play things.

Good luck with your search, I have details of a lhasa green one (?1300) if you want them?

Cheers,

Pete

Back to the top

Pete_Richards said

8O
Just to get a few things straight, I actually e-mailed and text him within an hour of this being posted, I was also booked in to see the car at 11 on Saturday but as I was in Hornchurch on Friday (about 2 miles away) I decided to and have a look.
The car is far from perfect and I probably could have got it a lot cheaper had you not been involved, I understand you even offered him ?100. to let you see it Saturday?
At the end of the day it's down to the seller how he wants to play things.

Good luck with your search, I have details of a lhasa green one (?1300) if you want them?

Cheers,

Pete

look mate, i was only having a rant at what happened in my eyes, i just don`t like being told one thing and arranging everything, then within 8 hours of leaving am told its sold. But anyway its gone now so end of story in my opinion.

Hope you can sort the car and bring it back to former glory.

pm me the details for the green one if you like

thanks kenno

Back to the top
"The Campaign Controversy" lives on.......

Back to the top

paul_c said

"The Campaign Controversy" lives on…….

it was not a campaign, just what looked like a nice gti ( on the pictures )  :lol:

Back to the top

Kenno said

paul_c said

it was not a campaign, just what looked like a nice gti ( on the pictures )  :lol:

This is my point exactly! Historically, possibly even by this club, Campaigns have been popularised, and valued more than non-Campaigns. So what happens is an inexperienced person might sell it with a slightly inflated price (or not sell it given the price) (or sell it and then think they should have asked for more), and an inexperienced buyer might buy it at an inflated price.

Fact is, the Campaign optional equipment is really not that significant, you need to judge a car on condition mainly, and that the Y reg 1982 model year (1.8 engine but not Campaign) is still a very nice car!

Back to the top

paul_c said

Kenno said

paul_c said

This is my point exactly! Historically, possibly even by this club, Campaigns have been popularised, and valued more than non-Campaigns. So what happens is an inexperienced person might sell it with a slightly inflated price (or not sell it given the price) (or sell it and then think they should have asked for more), and an inexperienced buyer might buy it at an inflated price.

Fact is, the Campaign optional equipment is really not that significant, you need to judge a car on condition mainly, and that the Y reg 1982 model year (1.8 engine but not Campaign) is still a very nice car!

think you have hit the nail there paul_c, i personally would prefer a non campaign model anyway, due to the fact that they go for less money just for the fact they are not campaigns.
And also as i would like to slightly modify the car to my taste.
If there were a nice gti for sale and a not so nice campaign for sale i would choose the gti over the campaign anyday.

this car in question was a 1.6 aswell

Back to the top
Bit strange, I thought 1981 model year (B chassis code) had a 1.6 but C code (1982 MY) were the first to have 1.8s...? Maybe it was swapped at some point in its life?

Back to the top
well, i did not get chance to see for myself, just going off what the hpi said, was CW chassis, and engine code was EG 1.6.

pete_richards will be able to tell more, he bought it

Back to the top
Don't care what you say, NO campaigns were Y plate.  Even some of the early A-plates weren't Campaigns.  Just goes to show how many people STILL get this wrong  :lol:

Anyway sorry for being anal, hope you enjoy the car and restore it to its former glory.  Look forward to seeing the pics :D

1991 MK2 Golf G60 20VT

1991 MK2 Golf GTI 16V Oak Green

www.vwgolfmk2.co.uk

Back to the top

kriss said

Don't care what you say, NO campaigns were Y plate.  Even some of the early A-plates weren't Campaigns.  Just goes to show how many people STILL get this wrong  :lol:

Anyway sorry for being anal, hope you enjoy the car and restore it to its former glory.  Look forward to seeing the pics :D

How are you defining "Campaign"? Because, we researched it quite thoroughly and concluded that chassis number D 448319 onwards, with options code S707 and S750, defined it. I'd be interested to know if the build time for D448319 and on, combined with delivery, registration, etc could mean it was registered on a Y plate or not. Crazyquiff seems sure on his point. Anyone have definite info?

Back to the top
D448319 was most likely assembled on 01/04/1983

Y registration ran from 01 August 1982    31 July 1983

So there is an overlap of over of about 4-5 months.

That would suggest that there should be Y plate DW Campaigns out there.

Cheers

Rich

Crazyquiff's Mk1 Golf Parts Emporium

www.golfmk1.co.uk - you know you want to….

Back to the top

Kenno said

well, i did not get chance to see for myself, just going off what the hpi said, was CW chassis, and engine code was EG 1.6.

pete_richards will be able to tell more, he bought it

That's correct, Chassis is CW engine EG 1.6, car first registered 18/08/82. I tought the 1.8 wasn't available until Sept. '82?

I guess th engine may have ben swaped, the original service book is present but unfortunatly the dealer only recorded the cassis number, vehicle data sticker also not present.

The instruction manual suplied is version 1.82 and covers the 81 kw engine, no mention of the 1.8.

Personally I feel the engine is correct but I'm no expert, is there any way to check for sure?

Cheers,

Pete

Back to the top
this is what the insurance company has to say about it:

if you cant read it, it was reg'd as 1588 engine.

Back to the top

el_sicko said

this is what the insurance company has to say about it:

if you cant read it, it was reg'd as 1588 engine.

Because that's what it is, one of the last 1.6 GTi's?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.