Skip navigation

My 1982 16v

Back to the top

My 1982 16v

good work with this lad, keep it up, good tip for fitting the c-posts, genlty warm it up, and really give it a good pull, you'll be suprised how much stretch is in there. jus dont rip it, lol :lol:

Back to the top
Allan, nice work. Is it a 9A or ABF conversion? What about wiring, any issues ?

Back to the top
Still need to try and get the c posts a litter better, still have a few wrinkles in them! The engine is a KR from the mk2 golf! Went in no problems used the TSR loom so it was real easy! More pic of the lining soon! The tailgate hinges were leaking so I have sealed them up, now I will wait and see if it leaks, if not then the new carpets are going in next week!

Mars red 1982 16v KR Conversion!

View topic: My 1982 16v - The Mk1 Golf Owners Club

Back to the top

Back to the top
Got a few pics of it almost done now, just need to sort out the c posts! Its taken a few hours bit it looks a load better that the dirty original white one! A job that really needed done and I found a couple of water leaks at the same time!!  8)

Back to the top
Fitted my new carpets from Newton Commercial, nice good quality fit and they smell new! Also gave my mk1 a good polish to bring back the shine! Not using it every day now because I got another mk2 to use in the rain and snow, will use the mk1 more in the summer!  :D  Here is a couple of pics!

And one of the out side

Back to the top
Sweet, thinking of lowering it or you prefer the standard height?

Back to the top
It is lowered on eiback springs and bilstein shocks. It was lower when I had the coiovers but it was really bad to drive, better ride now and better on the corners! They dont look right too low anyway!  8)

Back to the top
very tasty, good work  8)

'83 1.5 LHD Golf LX

Back to the top
Is the front bumper an original one? looks a wee bit rusty!

Back to the top
No its not an original bumper! Its very rusty just below the black strip, alway have to polish it up, not so bad now its not covered in salt and in my shed! Will get nice new bumpers sometime!

Back to the top

Same for me

Alright mate. Great work with the car. I've just got my self a Golf driver 1.3 but it has a superb body and i want to do the 16v conversion on it. Just wanted to ask a couple of questions:
Where is best to source an engine?
What is it registered as with the DVLA?
I'm looking for a KR engine at the moment and i can't wait to get going.
Thanks

Back to the top
I got my engine from ebay, sometimes people advertise them on here too. I told the dvla about the engine change and got the new engine number on the reg document, best to keep it all legal, you never know what could happen!

Back to the top

MK1Allan said

I got my engine from ebay, sometimes people advertise them on here too. I told the dvla about the engine change and got the new engine number on the reg document, best to keep it all legal, you never know what could happen!

Totally agree, just notify the DVLA of the changes and get insured accordingly,  otherwise all hell could let loose if you get pulled for a VOSA inspection. :(

Real golfers don't play with clubs

Back to the top
Hi Allan,

I have just joined the vw owners club and I noticed your car.  I have just bought a mk1 golf  to restore and a mk2 golf 16v donor car, engine code KR.  Just wanted to ask what modifications if any did you have to do, to fit the 16v engine into the mk1 eg engine mountains, gearbox mountains and gear linkage mods and any other modifications.

Thanks

Spade

Back to the top
The 16v engine fits on the standard GTI mounts with standard GTI gealinkage, you can use the mk1 GTI gearbox too. If you have a 1.1 or 1.3 then you will need to move the drivers side engine mount! Do a search one here, you will find all the info you need!

Back to the top
this looks just like mine! different wheels though. good taste sir!

Back to the top
Nice one, thats 3 that look the same now!  8)

Might make a few changes soon!

Back to the top
I love this thread and I love your car, it's a real credit to you.

I'm currently finishing off a 16v conversion (i've a thread called the Hulk Project) Anyway I wanted to ask you about your ATS Cups, are they 15x7's with the E28 offset? Are you running 185/55/15's or 195/50/15's? And do they rub, or maybe you have the arches rolled. I fancy a set but not if they are going to rub all the time.

My New Year's resolutions are: 1. Stop making lists. B. Be more consistent. 7. Learn to count.

Back to the top

MK1Allan said

the TSR loom

what is this? do they sell looms?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.