Skip navigation

1.8 16v conversion

Back to the top

1.8 16v conversion

Would someone please do a comprehensive list of everything i need to do this for my cabby, I have the files from the faq's but i would rather someone who has done it put one together!

Thx in advanced for any help!

White cabriolet Gti 16 valve

Back to the top
The guy who did the FAQ, did a conversion. I assume you have read it all???

Back to the top
Yeah but its all in bits and i just wanna be lazy and have a list of things i have to get rather than having to sift through 6 articles!  :wink:

Back to the top

cabrio_dj said

Yeah but its all in bits and i just wanna be lazy and have a list of things i have to get rather than having to sift through 6 articles!  :wink:

Pay me ?1500 and I'll do it all for you, then!

Back to the top
Ha ha! thx for the offer but i'm gonna tackle the actual work myself (and maybe a wee bit of help from my good friend The Gog) . I'm just after a quick list of the things i needed for the job but i might just read all the articles now and do it myself bah!!!!  :|

Back to the top
you will need:
16v conversion exhaust manifold (i have one for sale :wink: )
16v engine (obviously!!)
all ancilleries,
metering unit
depending on if you want to use the ISV or the AAV u will need the bits for that too
gearbox of your choice and clutch to match
8v airbox fitted to the 16v metering unit on the driver's side
ecu and its wiring loom
wiring loom for the ISV (if you decide to use it)

i have nearly everything for sale to do this conversion apart from the gearbox as i need to keep that. but if you interested drop me a PM for more info :wink:

Mk1 Jetta (Jessie) build thread here
 View topic: Jessie the mk1 jetta (pd conversion) lots of pics!! - The Mk1 Golf Owners Club

T25 westfalia camper, 2.2 Subaru powered

vw touran   1.9 tdi remap, Bbs rep wheels , lowered, bla bla bla……… Wife's car
2013 Vw amarok 2.0bitdi, work truck…….  www.jsgarageaberystwyth.co.uk  

Back to the top
How much for the exhaust manifold dude?, i would use the aav as that is what is advised in the guide, can i use 8v metering head?

Thx for replys!  :D

Back to the top
dont bother
a properly set up 8v will whup a 16

rebuild in progress....

Back to the top
elaborate plz? Budget around ?300 and i'm pretty certain my engines Feckizzled!

Back to the top
what do you want to achieve?

rebuild in progress....

Back to the top
basically my engine in it now is making an ominous whirring sound and its given me the kick up the arse to do an engine swap, I can get a 16v kr for around 100 quids and then get bits and bobs like tubular manifold etc, i'm told that in reality these engines actually produce closer to 150bhp once broken in (which they defo would be at that age!) without mods so, i would also have a view to fit a 6a bottom end at a later date too soooo…………….How would you sort an 8 volter out?
Thx for reply as i'm still weighing up the options!

Back to the top
i just like the 8v so maybe im biased, as below ive got 124 bhp from a std 8v but maybe im blessed.
the 16vs great at high revs, but low on torque low down which makes it a pain as a daily drive, im more into saying byeeeeee at the lights tbh.
i reckon i can get 150bhp from a 1.8 8v. for less than ?300.
if youve a problem with your block then id probably go 2l , if your blocks good then let the air in.

rebuild in progress....

Back to the top
How do you know its the engine itself, and not for example just the alternator or water pump?

Back to the top
I dont know for certain but i've wanted to do an ebgine swap for a while so is given me a reason, the noise is defo comin from the block/head!

Back to the top
how do you know?
get an engine stethoscope and find out

rebuild in progress....

Back to the top
The reason I didn't do a comprehensive list is there isn't one definitive list!

Theres different ways of doing things, i'm sure if we compared, mine, Pauls, Jamie etc etc they would all be slightly different, but none of them 'wrong'.  The idea of the FAQ was to let you know what you need to consider and highlight the most popular options.

Yes you can use the mk1 GTI Metering Head, I am in fact.

Personally i'd say the valver is better for daily use, you can potter around in traffic without feeling that 'urge' the 8V just gives at low revs.  Then when you want to cane it, slap the revs up  :twisted:.

Mk1 Golf 16V Conversion FAQ Zip, now located at in the Forum WIKI section: http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=cedi&type=misc&id=42%2F26%2F3

Back to the top
Don't need a list now thx to jamie!  :wink:

Back to the top

link!

cabrio_dj said

Don't need a list now thx to jamie!  :wink:

this is a great link of info for U:  PBase.com

Golf is the shit!

Back to the top
Thx dude!  :D

Back to the top
no probs pal  :wink:  ave a good holiday!!

Mk1 Jetta (Jessie) build thread here
 View topic: Jessie the mk1 jetta (pd conversion) lots of pics!! - The Mk1 Golf Owners Club

T25 westfalia camper, 2.2 Subaru powered

vw touran   1.9 tdi remap, Bbs rep wheels , lowered, bla bla bla……… Wife's car
2013 Vw amarok 2.0bitdi, work truck…….  www.jsgarageaberystwyth.co.uk  
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.