Skip navigation

Rob's Golf L **UPDATE 02/10/10 Page 9**

Back to the top

Rob's Golf L **UPDATE 02/10/10 Page 9**

Quality work, any plans for the engine bay? Keep the pictures coming there very inspirational.

Back to the top
Was looking forward to seeing this one at Stonor. Never mind, the speed your going it should be finished in a couple of weeks  :lol:

Back to the top
Lovin the fizzy chicken on page 2 ! Ive still got a load of mk1 xr2 bits in me other garage. Cant wait to see the 5 door finished tho.

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough"

Back to the top
reg - I do miss my fizzy! I didn't get half as many possitive comments as I do with the golf though!

caddymancan - Plans for engine bay is a fresh coat of paint, tidy up of the cables, wires, pipes…etc.. Not bothering with smoothing and minimising - not really a fan. Just clean and tidy just as mr vee dub intended.

Thanks again all for the nice comments  :y:

Engine out;

Me!

I must say a big thanks to the missus for helping me.

She's practicing on mine for her own project Mk1 Fiesta! I've tried to get her into golfs but I give up! Each to there own eh!

Back to the top
Mirror signal………

:wink:

Back to the top
Yo Rob,

I'm absolutely loving this, so bloody jealous of that colour!  Just got an L myself but in Gambia red and a bit more tatty than yours but I'm quite a fan of subtle rats. Those widened steelies set it off perfectly, proper oldskool. Was thinking of mk2 14'' steelies but dont have the funds for widening so might just opt for some 10mm spacers, got 40mm springs on order so i think ill just leave it at that.

Just wondering where you got those beaded covers from? Seen loads around but not exactly what I want, the ones you have fit the bill perfectly.

cheers, Tom

Back to the top

bigdave said

Mirror signal………

:wink:
 :lol:

Tom B - Thanks for the good comments! Sure is a rare colour - haven't seen another like it other than ones that have been painted this colour.  I got the beaded covers from Ebay, ?15 for the pair!

Back to the top
Wicked, cheers Rob. Ill keep my eyes peeled!

Tom

Back to the top
Not good. SERIOUS ROT.

Dunno what to do. I've seen cars scrapped for less!

Started with removing the outer sill;

Had a look inside  :(

Had a closer look and a poke

Rear bit

View from inside!

I really dont know what to do. There is not repair panel to buy for the inner bit nor is there anything left to attach the new sill to!

I'll have to make everything

Back to the top
Oh, and the other side is just as bad  :(

Back to the top
They all do that. I dunno why people think you can just replace the outer sill. The place where the outer, inner and floor join, is always going to be a rot spot. If you have carpets, then simple flat sections lap welded onto the floor and inner sill will sort you out. If you won't have any carpets, then you could purchase inner sill and floor repair sections and cut/butt what you need (or make a carefully positioned lap joint).

Back to the top
I've should have repair panels for that!

Crazyquiff's Mk1 Golf Parts Emporium

www.golfmk1.co.uk - you know you want to….

Back to the top
Dont give up Rob  :| , it's just a bit more work than you were going to do, she'll look the K9 plums when finished  :wink:

Back to the top

paul_c said

They all do that. I dunno why people think you can just replace the outer sill. The place where the outer, inner and floor join, is always going to be a rot spot. If you have carpets, then simple flat sections lap welded onto the floor and inner sill will sort you out. If you won't have any carpets, then you could purchase inner sill and floor repair sections and cut/butt what you need (or make a carefully positioned lap joint).

To be honest it had me fooled! And i'm no amature when it comes to repairing rotton cars. Also I think I convinced myself everything will be alright! Bad move  8O

A place down the road from me sells pre bent (angled) steel in all sorts of sizes. Think i'll go that route.

Warren - don't worry, i'm going to have a go! Think september the 8th is a right-off though  :D

Back to the top
Rob. Glad to hear that you're going ahead and not giving up. Okay, so its going to take more than a couple of weeks, but think of the satisfaction you'll get when its finished. Another mk1 saved. :y:

Back to the top
Rob,
Really good thread and looking forward to seeing more as you go on.
good luck with the rest of it.

Ade

Back to the top
truly inspiring work man :wink:

Back to the top
hi Rob

I'm about to cut the sills off mine as you have is there any need to support the car when sills are off?

The reason i ask is that ive only done sills on a mini which needs supporting and i'm not sure about the golf. :dontknow:

keep up the good work

Back to the top

weetos said

hi Rob

I'm about to cut the sills off mine as you have is there any need to support the car when sills are off?

The reason i ask is that ive only done sills on a mini which needs supporting and i'm not sure about the golf. :dontknow:

keep up the good work

Not really, although make sure if its jacked up, its done 'sympathetically' ie not at one corner only, which might twist the shell. When I did my sills I jacked it at the wishbone support at the front; and the side of the rear axle cross bar thing. And it seems to still be straight. Certainly, the door still opens and closes exactly as it should.

Back to the top
10th of June I was last on here! Crikey!  :lol:

Quick update after so long, got steel cut for repair sections for the inner sills. I had actually made my mind up to scrap it but my bro told me not to be so stupid (with a bit of added lanuage!) and offered to do the sills for me. Good bloke!

More pics to follow soon…….
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.