Skip navigation

Rob's Golf L **UPDATE 02/10/10 Page 9**

Back to the top

Rob's Golf L **UPDATE 02/10/10 Page 9**

Fitted suspension and wheels today.

One question. How the hell does anyone manage to drive this low everyday?! On test run my rear wheels were touching the arches over every bump and was grounding over man hole covers!

It is on its lowest point and will be raised up tomorrow!

To be fair, i'm very suprised how smooth these budget coil overs are. A bit bouncy but smooth. I recommend them.

All pics taken by the missus as she seems to love it more than me  :D

Before.

During (note how right wheel is off the ground while passenger side is jacked up!)

After (better pics tomorrow as I ran out of light)

To be honest I'm quite likeing the rat look at the moment so might delay the body restoration for a bit.

Back to the top
It's a nice look Rob 8)

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
very tasty. the wheel's are what i was considering doing but now it's been done i'll have to find a different look :lol:

Back to the top
lovin the motor dude and i'll second those budget coilies i bought the exact same ones! lol. i don't have any rubbing issues but then i'm not running 8s on the back! quality…

Back to the top
Hi,

Are they the Jamex coilovers that are on ebay, about ?230 buff? There stainless steel I think as well.

Back to the top
Not Jamex. Heres the link.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/COIL-OVER-COILOVER-VW-GOLF-MK1-ADJUSTABLE-SUSPENSION_W0QQitemZ310029876618QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item310029876618

More pics from today just before I raised it a tad (not much though, just enough!)

One of the tyres keeping going down slowly. Thought I seeled the welds properly. Will test to see if it has a puncture, if not will re-seal it again.

Back to the top
Rude  8)

Rich

Back to the top
mate im likeing that, those wheels fit the car perfectly!  8)

1983 GTi in Black, Completly Standard

Merc ML320 Daily Driver

Back to the top
Cant believe how cheap them coilies are????

and you say they are pretty good???

mmmm may have to keep an eye on them?

Carss looks awsome by the way! :wink:

1983 MK1 PIRELLI EDITION

Alpine White LHD ("SOLD")

Back to the top

dubstar74 said

The car handles like a go cart. Over the very rough roads they are quite harsh but in general they are smooth and not as bouncey as many folk will make try to make a point of. Well, mine arn't anyway.

Coilies for less than ?179 with 2 years warranty - can't go wrong really. Give 'em a try!

Back to the top
Thanks to everyones positive comments - helps keep me motivated  :D

Cheers,
Rob

Back to the top

Robmk1 said

dubstar74 said

The car handles like a go cart. Over the very rough roads they are quite harsh but in general they are smooth and not as bouncey as many folk will make try to make a point of. Well, mine arn't anyway.

Coilies for less than ?179 with 2 years warranty - can't go wrong really. Give 'em a try!

yeah i've got the same coilovers from the same place, when i got them the price was ?179 or best offer so i offered ?150 and they accepted! cost me ?159.95 alltogether, bargin for what you get!

dan

1983 GTi in Black, Completly Standard

Merc ML320 Daily Driver

Back to the top
Thought i'd look to see whats lurking under the paint on the passenger rear arch……… oh dear…

Restored a Mini and a Mk1 Fiesta but never done an arch repair before!

Back to the top
Classic Mk1 rust, especially if you've got arch spats fitted.

It's not too difficult to repair either, as long as you can weld ok.

Rich

Back to the top
Wicked five door 8) , looks spot on with the banded steels on it. Would love this as a daily.

Pete.

Back to the top
I'm taking it off the road in the next couple of days for restoration. Thought I would post a few pics just before. Was going to do it next week but if I do it now I can claim a full 3 months tax back.

A few added 'graffix' and dirt!!!

I get some funny looks who don't know what Run To The Sun is!

Enjoy and look forward to the resto pics

Cheers,
Rob.

Back to the top
where did you get your wheels widened! im deperate to get some done! i want to get some mk2 steels and get them done wide!

Weber,ATS,Apex,Ripspeed,Supersprint,K&N MOMO..tbc

Back to the top
A chap I know got them done in Holland for me for a favour like.

A place in this country does them www.wide-wheels.co.uk

Back to the top
waiting for the resto pics  :drool:

1983 MK1 PIRELLI EDITION

Alpine White LHD ("SOLD")

Back to the top
The strip down. One problem with a 4 door car is there are more doors to sort and store!

No turning back now. Engine to remove now then i'll crack on with the sills and arches first.

Enjoy  :D
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.