Skip navigation

Rob's Golf L **UPDATE 02/10/10 Page 9**

Back to the top

Rob's Golf L **UPDATE 02/10/10 Page 9**

mmmmm banded im looking for set of wheels to do that to i don't want to do it to my original wheels.

Back to the top
I found the extra set by posting in the wanted section (few offers from this forum but too far away)

The chap insisted he only takes a tenner for them too!  8)

Back to the top

dannyk said

Love the banded wheels mate, can't wait to see them on.
Really want to do mine too, but a little too expensive for my budget!

If you look in the right places they don't have cost alot. This company in Holland charges ?34 a wheel! I'm luckey ive got to know someone from there who makes regular trips to this country so its a favour really.

Can't seem to get the company details out of him though!

Back to the top
34 notes! well, the banded wheels may just have slipped back into my budget. i'll have a search.

What colour are they going to be?

1983 1500 GL Resto

2003 Leon Cupra

Back to the top

dannyk said

34 notes! well, the banded wheels may just have slipped back into my budget. i'll have a search.

What colour are they going to be?

Standard shade of silver I think. I've thought about mercury grey though but not sure this is in keeping with the look i'm after.

Oh, and im doing them myself.

Back to the top
They look cool - I've got the same set on my Swallowtail and thought about doing it to them, but I didn't realise it was that cheap.

They'll look sweet as a nut on the car  8)

Rich

Back to the top

mcscrew said

They look cool - I've got the same set on my Swallowtail and thought about doing it to them, but I didn't realise it was that cheap.

They'll look sweet as a nut on the car  8)

Rich

Yeah its quite cheap but the problem is the shipping to Holland that usually bumps up the price. Its costing me ?200 all in after ive paid for this chaps fuel and time - alot cheaper than courior. Mate of a mate is doing the sand blasting for free and i've got a ruck of paint from previous projects to paint them with. Even if I had to pay for all the stuff it would be less than to have it done in this country.

I love bargains!  :lol:

Back to the top
Loving those banded steels, they are going to look mint on that car.

I have 7" mattigs on mine and they definitely are the best wheel I have had on the car. I would like the OE look though.

This was them when I first painted them…

Couldn't resist blacking the centres though…

Been thinking that maybe I need a series1 5 door for family picnics and this thread has got me thinking?!

If you, er, ever get bored of those rims…

Peter.

1980 1600 GTI, daily driver.

Back to the top
5 Doors is the way forward. Series1 5 door is even better…  :wink:

Those wheels look quite sweet. As a matter of interest what size tyres you using?

Back to the top
I used a set of standard 175/70 13s that I had lying around behind the shed because I wasn't even sure if I liked the wheels!

I'm not keen on stretched tyres though, they make me nervous every time I go around a roundabout, so I would like to put a new set of wider lower profile tyres on. Difficult to find anything though. Was thinking say 195 50 13?

What tyres you thinking of using?

Peter.

Back to the top
175 50 13  :twisted:

Might go to 195 45 13 yet though.

Back to the top
Be interested in the price of the 195/45/13s bet they cost a bomb.

I like the tyre to look really square on the wheel if you know what I mean.

And they make me less nervous!

Peter.

Back to the top
Only a small update today.

Put a tyre on the other day to test the water and it went on very easily. No bead cheaters or filling with butane here!

Come back from the blast cleaners today and look like this. Nice and clean, ready for paint  :D

Hopefully paint them by the weekend.

Back to the top
This is a really inspiring thread.
Keep the updates coming.

1980 Mars Red GTI BRMotorsport 142
1983 Black GTI

Back to the top
Small update.

Some shiney new stuff has appeared the last couple of days.

New coilovers and brake stuff. Ive already fitted a new master cylinder and flexi's so all of the brakes excluding metal pipes with be nice, clean and new  :D

Will start fitting brakes tomorrow and suspension next week when ive painted the wheels  8)

Thats all for now, over and out.

Back to the top
bling, bling  to the shiny bits  :mrgreen:  are you lowering it to a snakes belly?  This is going to look good  :y:

Back to the top

GAMMYGOLFGTI said

bling, bling  to the shiny bits  :mrgreen:  are you lowering it to a snakes belly?  This is going to look good  :y:

Oh yes!

Well, it depends how it will cope with the speed bumps on Woodside though!

Back to the top
Fitted new calipers, discs and pads tonight. Cant believe how big the calipers are and how small the pads are!

Nice and reasuringly new!

Old discs. I reckon they are original!

Back to the top
I think I've got a set of discs like the last ones on my 76 shell  8O

The new stuff looks good - what calipers and discs did you go for?

Rich

Back to the top
Standard Brake Engineering stuff. Seems to be of good quality.

Anythings better than the old stuff It had on though!
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.